in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2009 12:16 AM by XavierItzmann. 52 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2009 10:53 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Re: Are you prepared to pay the pirce for the new BeoSound 5

I must admit that if MOTS is good or not has absolutely no impact on my decision not buying this thing at this price.

Have a good day

Clakke

• 02-26-2009 9:18 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Thanks Puncher and 10 Percent.  This MOTS discussion has been an interesting.

To the earlier "Genius" suggestion, I haven't bothered with "Genius" for a couple reasons.  First, I'd rather not upgrade iTunes because, from time to time, I've had problems with BM-Link "getting lost" in my iTunes library.  BM-Link has not been getting lost lately so I don't want to change anything.  Also, much of my music I recorded from vinyl so the tags (being entered by hand by me) are minimal, and I assumed that Genius mostly worked with tags (and I don't always agree with the Genre assignments that come from the Internet when I rip a CD).

Finally, fiscal reality has set in... I don't think I'm prepared to pay the price just now... as long as I stay away from the store, I'll do fine...

Stan

• 03-01-2009 12:16 AM In reply to

Comments to several items posted above in the thread, in no particular order:

1.  iTunes Genius uploads your playlists to Apple (anonimously).  The Apple databases then builds a statistical model of what songs people have grouped together.  There is no content analysis (a.k.a. DNA, bpm, rythm or what have you).

1a. A consequence is that since many people's playlists are built around an era, often he Genius will not only throw "more of the same type of music" but also much of "More of the Same Musical Age".

2. I've been using BeoPort with iTunes 8, no issues.  Then again, I have two little settings I've discovered that give me an up and running system, always:

2a. Mac Mini is set to not look for system updates automatically.  I found that the "you have system updates ready to install" system pop up made the Mac unresponsive to BeoPort.

2b. Mac Mini is set to shut down automatically at 3:55 am and re-boot at 4:00 am, every day.  It also falls asleep after 15 mins of inactivity and wakes up the second any B&O Master Linked product is turned on around the house.

3.  The Apple Genius approach is brute statistical force.  It is also very Google-like (it is the same key computational insight from whence Google came about).  The MOTS B&O approach is radically different.  Will it be more effective?

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3