in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2009 12:05 PM by Dennis. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2009 4:28 PM

MC120.2 - Dead Woofer Help

Evening All

Just been inspecting the foam surrounds on my MC120.2s as I know they need refoaming due to foam rot. I was playing a track and noticed that one of the woofers is dead. Had a quick look inside and no obvious spade connectors have come loose. Is this a problem with the crossover, and if so, can I do some fault finding with a multimeter??

Thanks in advance.

John

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-05-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

Re: MC120.2 - Dead Woofer Help

Make sure it is not the speaker coil by using a battery - the cone will move. Or simply swap it with the other one. I actually replaced the bass units on my S120s with new Peerless ones some years ago before coming to Beoworld.

• 02-05-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

Thanks Peter

Just put a multimeter across the terminals and got nothing, so assume it's a fault in the crossover. Is this a capacitor problem?

• 02-05-2009 5:16 PM In reply to

What did you test for? Not sure you have ruled out the speaker coil being fried. Have a look at the crossover by all means - it is easy to get hold of. It would be no surprise if the capacitors need replacing but they tend to affect the tweeters, not the woofer. If you look at the circuit diagram, there isn't really a capacitor to cause any mischief.

• 02-05-2009 5:21 PM In reply to

No Peter - I just connected the speaker up to the Beomaster, and when playing I placed the multimeter across the terminals with the spade connectors still in place. I'll try with a battery to check the coil. Will anything do, like, say a 1.5v cell?

• 02-05-2009 5:36 PM In reply to

I think it is suggested that you use a 9V battery , but only for a second or so. Do the other drivers work? The only thing in series with the woofer is a coil. I suppose that may have a problem. You will need to check each component.

• 02-05-2009 5:51 PM In reply to

The other drivers work. I'll try with a 9v battery and report back!

• 02-06-2009 1:03 PM In reply to

UPDATE:

Just tried the woofer connected to the crossover in the other speaker - it is fried. What do I do now? I have two woofers with foam rot, and one has a toasted coil. Any suggestions??

• 02-07-2009 5:35 AM In reply to

You need to replace both woofers.

• 02-07-2009 6:44 AM In reply to

Peter :

You need to replace both woofers.

Just ordered two replacements this morning - anyone want one dead and one working 8 inch Peerless woofers, both with foam rot?

• 02-07-2009 5:53 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Hmmm... I think I have one but I suppose it's too late now.

Martin

• 02-07-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

Ah! I should have been more patient Martin! If for some reason the new ones don't fit, I'll give you a shout :)

• 02-08-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

Hi John,

Do let us know how you go with this, as it would be handy for future reference to know that you can simply replace the whole woofer, with a current production part that you can order, as I know that Martins refurbished parts would be a limited supply! 

I had wondered whether this was possible when I was looking for my speakers, as I thought this route would be an easier fix than the re-foaming if there was foam rot etc, as I don't think I would have been able to do the refoaming myself.

Thanks,

Laurence.

• 02-14-2009 11:49 AM In reply to

Ok - so I had foam rot in both the woofers in my MC120.2s, and a dead voice coil in one of the pair. Clearly it was going to massive pain in the bum to: a) find another contemporaneous Peerless woofer, and b) re-foam both of them. Being lazy and having just unexpectedly found £100 down the back of my sofa (so to speak) I thought I'd see if I could buy some new replacements. Peter had told me that he had done this a few years back, so I got the tape measure out and armed with the dimensions of the old woofers I did a search on the internet. Wilmslow Audio were recommended, but couldn't really beat Audio Components (www.audio-components.co.uk) on price, so last Saturday I placed an order for two Peerless 830667 woofers and £96 lighter I sat back and waited for them to arrive. 

They eventually turned up this morning, and armed with a few screwdrivers a pair of pliers and a friend, I set about replacing them:

Here's the old Peerless woofer + lots of foam rot (+ Resisty the Resistor who helped me with this project)

Ok, so we've binned the now-useless old woofers and we're tooled up and ready to go!

Spade connectors are wonderful things, and with these woofers being a perfect fit into the aperture, we soon motored on and had the first woofer in place, screwed down and ready to go. You can tell from Resisty's expression that he was pleased with the overall build quality of the new Peerless units.

The view from the other side confirms the tight, clean fit. Resisty couldn't resist posing for a shot here (good job they weren't playing though!)

We're currently playing the woofers in by using Roni Size's 1997 Mercury Music Prize winning 'New Forms' to give the speakers a good workout. So far the results are really pleasing! I hope this can give hope to those who have dead voice coils and/or foam rot in S120 or MC120.2 speakers - particularly those like myself who are to lazy to go down the whole refoaming route. From start to finish the whole job was done in under an hour!

• 02-14-2009 12:49 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Nice work, John !

I noticed these are long-throw woofers, you can see the rubber roll is a large diameter.
    This means that they will potentially be a little more bass-rich than the
    original woofers but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They may even add a little
    low freq. loudness which I know some people like (including myself).
    Let's know how you like them after a couple of hours play.

Martin

• 02-14-2009 1:58 PM In reply to

Thanks Martin :)

Yes - they are a little more bassy than the originals, but I do like that and the overall effect isn't too overpowering thankfully and the speaker remains well-balanced like the original. At the moment I'm really pleased with how they sound - I did turn the bass on the BM6000 down a notch though!

• 02-14-2009 2:48 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Nice work John, like your little resistor friend BTW.Laughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-14-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Craig:

CraigSmile

Cheers Craig

Fliss knitted him for me. He's also got a friend called Captain Capacitor. Next time I do anything like this I'll have to wheel him out :)

• 02-14-2009 4:51 PM In reply to

Rather late I found some pictures of mine!From the outside.

And one from the other side. I think they are possibly more like the originals and not quite so long throw.

• 02-14-2009 5:32 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Craig:

CraigSmile

Cheers Craig

Fliss knitted him for me. He's also got a friend called Captain Capacitor. Next time I do anything like this I'll have to wheel him out :)

Very nice John.

You should name your resistor friend Desmond so we can call him Des' Res' and capatian capacitor can be known as Cap' Cap' - groan......

Fliss's talent is definately wasted mateCool

@ Peter, your photo's made my day - I'm not the ONLY beoworlder with animal hairs on my speakersLaughing

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-14-2009 8:18 PM In reply to

Very nice Peter - the surrounds on yours do look a bit thicker than the originals, so perhaps there's a halfway house between mine and yours?? I Googled your Peerless part nos. and these are not current anymore, so I think the ones I used are the next best 'new' options.

Chris - Fliss is an accomplished knitter. Let me know if you need a pure wool friend to help you out on any projects, as Fliss would be happy to oblige :)

• 02-14-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

Hey John,

Well done!

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Laurence.

• 02-20-2009 6:36 AM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Denmark
    • Posts 172
    • Gold Member

Hi j0hnbarker

Do you still have the original woofers?

Best Regards

Loudspeaker

I was borned with a Beolink 1000 in my hand!

Ever seen a Beomaster 6001? I have one! Look here.

Main system: Beovision AV9000, Beocenter 2300, Beosystem 3500, Beolab Penta MKIII, Beolab 3000, Beogram 6500, Beolink 1000, Beolink 5000, Beolink 7000

Wish list: Beolab 2,

• 02-20-2009 11:21 AM In reply to

Loudspeaker:

Hi j0hnbarker

Do you still have the original woofers?

Best Regards

Loudspeaker

Hi Loudspeaker

I'm sorry - but the working woofer went to a fellow Beoworlder, and the one with the broken coil went in the bin :(

Try posting a wanted ad on the forum and you may have some luck - otherwise I can recommend the new Peerless units to you highly.

• 02-20-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Denmark
    • Posts 172
    • Gold Member

Hi j0hnbarker

I have to refoamed Beovox MC120.2, it was just if I would have them in reserve, or use them for something else.

Best Regards

Loudspeaker

I was borned with a Beolink 1000 in my hand!

Ever seen a Beomaster 6001? I have one! Look here.

Main system: Beovision AV9000, Beocenter 2300, Beosystem 3500, Beolab Penta MKIII, Beolab 3000, Beogram 6500, Beolink 1000, Beolink 5000, Beolink 7000

Wish list: Beolab 2,

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)