in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-06-2009 4:11 PM by PhilLondon. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2009 1:22 PM

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

MOTS experience

Well, if I follow the BeoSound5 posts correctly, (quite) a few forum members will have their (pre)ordered BS5 system at home by now. I'am very curious to know what the first experiences with MOTS are, also because B&O presented the MOTS feature as one of the key innovations of this system, being a sophisticated alternative to playlists if I have understood the press releases correctly.

Maybe a start for an interesting discussion: Is MOTS in practical use really that interesting or is it just MOTS, meaning More Of The Same ? 

• 02-04-2009 2:07 PM In reply to

Re: MOTS experience

Wish I had mine at home by now, but not a whisper from my dealer...

• 02-04-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Well, I sure hope that B&O implement the MOTS feature into BeoPlayer and BeoPort as well. Also this kind if feature is really usefull and nice to have; I've used similar feature at Last.fm and as well with MediaMonkey.

Filed under: , ,
  • 02-04-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Despite what many people have come to see the BeoMaster 5 as, it's not simply 'a PC in a box', the software which the BeoSound 5 requires is actually very closely tied to the hardware. MOTS especially is incredibly resource hungry and either requires an incredibly powerful computer, or very close matching with hardware. MOTS on BeoPlayer is highly unlikely for this reason. Then again, B&O may prove me wrong! Erm

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-04-2009 3:14 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I would have though most modern processors are streets ahead of that in the BM5Confused

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-04-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Well, I don't know about incredeibly powerful computer; I mean for example MediaMonkey does similar job on what ever system that you install it on. It's just a matter of how well tagged the media has been; if BM5 analyses the audio, which I doubt, then I take my hat of for B&O. So once again I'm quite sure that B&O picked either a board from VIA Tech or similar supplier.

• 02-04-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes, but it's not the actual processor speed itself which counts - it's how well matched the software is to the hardware. Similar to the way in which games which are designed to run on all different computer hardware configs are generally much slower than those which only run on a few hardware configurations.

Also, from an interface point of view, the BeoSound 5 is doing a lot more under the hood than you may thing, for example, organising files on the hard drive so they can be accessed at the speed needed for cover mode etc (not quite the same as Disk Defrag, but along the same lines).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-04-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

They definitely do some sort of audio analysis, certainly more than tag sorting but I agree, ordinary hardware.

• 02-04-2009 3:47 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

Yes, but it's not the actual processor speed itself which counts - it's how well matched the software is to the hardware. Similar to the way in which games which are designed to run on all different computer hardware configs are generally much slower than those which only run on a few hardware configurations.

Also, from an interface point of view, the BeoSound 5 is doing a lot more under the hood than you may thing, for example, organising files on the hard drive so they can be accessed at the speed needed for cover mode etc (not quite the same as Disk Defrag, but along the same lines).

I agree the software is designed from the ground up to do what it does and all credit to B&O for attempting something new but in a Win environment I find it a stretch to claim it won't run better with a better processor!

• 02-04-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I see your point, but I've never actually found the BeoSound 5 to show any signs of 'slowness'. In fact I've found it to be absolutely seamless.

I was initially referring more to the idea of MOTS running on an ordinary desktop PC, which I don't think is going to become a reality any time soon!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-04-2009 4:46 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Puncher:

They definitely do some sort of audio analysis.........

... Yes, I am pretty sure they do...  The (dutch) sales brochure specifies that the BS5/BM system is able to analyse the musical DNA structure of the music tracks you are playing. So obviously they are able to define a certain 'DNA structure' in the first place and analyse the very basic elements and differences in any piece of music. I wonder what exactly they are doing. Must be certainly much more in to it than tag sorting.

That's why I am so curious to know if BS5 owners find the music selections made by MOTS very clever or unexpected if you like.

• 02-04-2009 4:46 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

I see your point, but I've never actually found the BeoSound 5 to show any signs of 'slowness'. In fact I've found it to be absolutely seamless.

I was initially referring more to the idea of MOTS running on an ordinary desktop PC, which I don't think is going to become a reality any time soon!

Fair enough - btw you may want to nip over to the Wed© thred to see your proposed new avatarWhistle

• 02-04-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I don`t know how they do it, but it works great. For me MOTS wasn`t the key feature to buy the BS5, but now I `m using it every day.

Having also tried Genius on my mac, I deactivated it after 2 days.

Stefan

• 02-04-2009 7:10 PM In reply to

I've had mine loaded up for a few days now and MOTS is just starting to take effect. If the first signs are any indication, it's brilliant! 

A little psychological observation, however: When using the unit in the store, the MOTS feature does not particularly stand out. I'm not familiar with the preloaded material and since the albums are mostly partials, it all sounds like a well organized playlist. Accurate based on what MOTS is supposed to deliver, but it just doesn't "hit me."

Now that I have the unit at home with my personal music on it I'm finding that, though I've neglected much of my 80GB of music, I'm still familiar enough with most content to "disagree" with MOTS... initially. I guess that MOTS is bound to build playlists that I would never personally build using material that I've long since forgotten, so my immediate reaction is, "Why's it playing that!?" But if I let it go, I find that it is very satisfying. I have to retrain my mind to tamp down some prejudices I may have as to my own music collection and let MOTS work. The result is stunningly accurate!

Of course it bears repeating that MOTS does not actually read tags like iTunes, Amazon, etc., but actually examines the characteristics of each file. That's why it can take about 1 day per 10GB to process through the content. The hardware is much more impressive, especially considering the BeoMedia as the precursor. The processor must be powerful as no average PC I've ever seen has operated as smoothly with such intensive display and processing tasks. It's more on par with a gaming PC. The bespoke DAC is also a masterwork. I'm not a "lossless" guy personally, and I've found that 320kbps encodings sound brilliant on 3s, 9s, & 5s. I haven't tried it on the older generations, but I assume the results will be fabulous. 

Overall I loved the look and feel initially, but had some significant reservations about the hardware. Those have pretty much melted away with personal use. It's a keeper. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-04-2009 11:41 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    Of course it bears repeating that MOTS does not actually read tags like iTunes, Amazon, etc., but actually examines the characteristics of each file. That's why it can take about 1 day per 10GB to process through the content. 

That explains a lot.  After initially setting up the BS5 - with 250Gb of data, 600 albums and 10,000 tracks, I was very unimpressed with MOTs 1 hour after switching on. This morning I gave it a go....and wow! I played about 15 tracks of the 50/70 in the list and it punched out a couple of ones I thought were not too close.

By the end of the month then it should have got it's act together!

10%

• 02-05-2009 4:24 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

.............. The hardware is much more impressive, especially considering the BeoMedia as the precursor. The processor must be powerful as no average PC I've ever seen has operated as smoothly with such intensive display and processing tasks. It's more on par with a gaming PC. The bespoke DAC is also a masterwork. .....................

If it's the Via C7 processor then it has some particular features such as hardware decoding of MPEG 2 & MPEG4 stream for video playback and very low power requirements. However it has the processing horsepower of a midrange Pentium M processor i.e. 3-4 year old technology. Any recent offering from Intel or AMD would wipe the floor with it.

I'm not sure I could I could stand up in court and defend the DAC as "bespoke" or a "masterwork", nor driving a 10" LCD via DVI as "intensive" either.

I'm pleased you like it - I'm sure it does it's job admirably and gives a very good performance. The BS5 is impressive to look at and many will be fascinated by the interface, amazed by MOTS and staggered by the integration.

It obviously gives a very good impression however I suspect the hardware doesn't really live up to your expectations - I thinks it's good to be clear on these things.

Having said that - you're in sales, I'm in engineering - it was ever thusLaughingWink

• 02-05-2009 4:40 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:
    If it's the Via C7 processor then it has some particular features such as hardware decoding of MPEG 2 & MPEG4 stream for video playback and very low power requirements. However it has the processing horsepower of a midrange Pentium M processor i.e. 3-4 year old technology. Any recent offering from Intel or AMD would wipe the floor with it.

Well, it's the VIA EPIA EX board that B&O is using; but not so that we hijack this thread about MOTS Experience; I've started a new thread for the hardware discussion.

• 02-05-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

Puncher:

I'm not sure I could I could stand up in court and defend the DAC as "bespoke" or a "masterwork", nor driving a 10" LCD via DVI as "intensive" either.

Having said that - you're in sales, I'm in engineering - it was ever thusLaughingWink

Well, you're right about the sales part! But the DAC is a B&O design, so bespoke is accurate, but "masterwork" will remain my opinion! And I think you'd agree that the screen size is less the issue than what's on it. Now I'm a Mac guy, so the vast majority of screens I sit in front of are Intel based, but whether it's on my MacBook Air (1.8ghz) or my iMac (2.8ghz), neither one is particularly adept at rendering album artwork seamlessly in iTunes. So I don't know what's under the hood yet (though I may pop open one at the store now that my curiosity has been piqued), but it's clearly a good match for the tasks it's built for.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-05-2009 10:38 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

but whether it's on my MacBook Air (1.8ghz) or my iMac (2.8ghz), neither one is particularly adept at rendering album artwork seamlessly in iTunes. So I don't know what's under the hood yet (though I may pop open one at the store now that my curiosity has been piqued), but it's clearly a good match for the tasks it's built for.

IMHO that only goes to show that B&O programmers did better than the ones at Apple. Flipping static images on the screen is nothing complicated and I'm sure the display hardware in both your Macs and the BM5 are more than adequate to do that blindingly fast. It certainly does not need a lot of CPU. Having seen neither in action, I believe the differences here are due to the fact that the fast response is a key part of the BS5 user experience and some effort was put into it, while in iTunes they just implemented something to show the artwork, not show off.

-mika

• 02-05-2009 10:44 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    but whether it's on my MacBook Air (1.8ghz) or my iMac (2.8ghz), neither one is particularly adept at rendering album artwork seamlessly in iTunes.

????? What problem have you got ???

• 02-05-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

It only seems to render about a dozen album covers in either direction. When you hold down the scroll it eventually shows blank covers until you let go and let it catch up. Better on the iMac than the Air, or course, but problems in both cases. Could be the software. Whatever the case is, the interface on the BS5 is much smoother. Doesn't feel as though there's a computer running underneath it the way most software does. Very direct and mechanical. Very nice.

• 02-06-2009 4:11 PM In reply to

Yes, that's right, I see what you mean. However, I feel the album art on the BS5 is far too small, I can't recognise it when I turn the wheel, and I find the eyes are not used to follow a rotating/translating movement.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)