in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-05-2009 1:15 PM by Evan. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2009 12:01 PM

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Serene successsor?

I have been looking into getting a serene lately and quite like the idea of having one. The dealer I called informed me that they are stopping production of the serene. Does anyone know if there will be a new phone to take its place? I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait or not. Thanks all.

Evan

• 02-04-2009 12:34 PM In reply to

Re: Serene successsor?

Due the economical downturn and the missing market success of both the serene & the serenata b&o chose to stop development of all small mobile gadgets like cell phones, mp3 players etc. So there will be no new mobile phone to come at all. Serene & serenata are the last of their kinds.

Regards, beoberlin

• 02-04-2009 12:46 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

That's what I was afraid of. But thank you. I think if they were to remain in that particular market, I think they should have done more items like the F400 samsung.

Evan

• 02-04-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

The problem is that the mobile phone market is fashion and feature driven and phones are only the in thing for a very limited time. This does not sit well with the B&O philosophy of longevity of products. I have given up my Serene and have an iPhone which is a much better phone IMHO.

• 02-04-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

It may be the better phone, but history will eventually eclipse the iPhone with new technology. I want to be different, at the same time I want function too. But I agree in the sense that it is hard to sustain a stable position in a market in which the products seem disposable. This problem introduces the issue of volume and high rates of production - due to the average of four figures to buy a B&O cell phone, this is not possible.

Evan

• 02-04-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

evman140:

It may be the better phone, but history will eventually eclipse the iPhone with new technology. I want to be different, at the same time I want function too. But I agree in the sense that it is hard to sustain a stable position in a market in which the products seem disposable. This problem introduces the issue of volume and high rates of production - due to the average of four figures to buy a B&O cell phone, this is not possible.

I am totally with you. Although I didn't like the fact that the Serene had Samsung written on it I always knew I would end up with one at some point as I too like to be different, and that's what B&O are all about. I bought one 3 days ago and its an interesting new toy that makes me happy when I use it. So my advice is to go for it! Mind you, don't get a new one, try to hunt down a second hand one, there's plenty around you just need to spend some time looking.

All the best,
    Simon.

• 02-05-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Agreed simon, used is the way to go. My columbus oh branch offered to sell me their demo serene. But it was lacking the charger/ base prism. Do you know how much those tend to run?

Thanks, Evan.

Evan

• 02-05-2009 8:57 AM In reply to

evman140:
    The dealer I called informed me that they are stopping production of the serene.

They have announced they stopped developing new mobile phones, but have they stopped manufacturing them?

• 02-05-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Do you know if batteries are still available ?

• 02-05-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Phil,

I repeated only what Minneapolis told me. It is logical to me that B&O would stop developing new cellular products. The dealer, however, told me that they were going to stop making the serene, I did not inquire about the status of the other phones.

Evan

• 02-05-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Steph,

I have no information pertaining to the batteries. But you're inquiry to the batteries has me wondering about the serene battery life. I am currently deciding on whether to buy one or not.

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)