in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2009 3:05 AM by Daniel. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2009 12:17 PM

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

PRIZE DRAW date. A rethink, perhaps??

When Lee took over the helm of BeoWorld and decided to start a monthly prize draw, he could have easily have elected to do the draw privately, and email winners and post an iten in 'News', but no.
    Commendably, he decided to make an event of it and do the draw live on the forum. Yes -  thumbs up
    This gave members the chance to share in each others good fortune, whilst joining in the fun by eagerly anticipating whether or not one would win a prize.
    It also served to draw the community together, in one room (so to speak) and we all got chance to 'meet' each other and chat freely.
    At first this was a great success and many of us would re-arrange our schedules to ensure we would be online on the last day of the month. Gradually, apart from a few stalwart members, attendance at the prize draw has tapered off. This Saturday, not counting myself and PDB, there where just eleven other posters up until the drawing of the first prize!
    If myself, Bayerische, Mark (plumber) Robert and Xseries hadn't turned up, Lee might as well have done the draw in private.(no offence to those who made just one or two posts)
    I think one of the main reasons for the low turnout was due to it being a Saturday. I don't have statistics, but I think Saturday evening is one of the quietest times on BeoWorld, and it happens again for the February drawSad

Perhaps it might be an idea to rethink the date of the prize draw. Instead of being the last day of the month, what about the last Sunday of each month?
    What do you think members?
    What do you think Lee?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-03-2009 12:23 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Re: PRIZE DRAW date. A rethink, perhaps??

I agree. It caught me out despite the countdown.

They say Sunday night is a good time to end a sale on eBay because most are likely to be in.

Steve

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 02-03-2009 12:23 PM In reply to

You read my mind Andy, this was exactly what I was thinking of last time, when there was so few members online... 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-03-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

saturdays... considering +5GMT means i am rolling in a pile of toys w/ the kids!

sounds like a good idea! ...means i can be online dreaming of playing in a pile of beo w/ my first place gift certificate.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-03-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

I normally watch them all, but forgot this month and had to read all the posts later.....sorry!!

Have made a note to pay closer attention on the 31st of February, whatever day of the week it is!

Mike

• 02-03-2009 12:36 PM In reply to

tobeyone:

Have made a note to pay closer attention on the 31st of February, whatever day of the week it is!

that would be: Tuesday, March 3rd Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-03-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

Unfortunately I was in hospital and missed the draw, I believe for only the second time since we started.

I admit to not being a poster since I cannot do with all the hearty congratulations and the like. I am afraid it is just not me.Angry

However, I do read all the posts as they come in and many of them give me a chuckle. I enjoy being with others who are enjoying themselves even if I don't feel the need to contribute.

Like others, I think that the last Sunday of the month idea is a good one and you will hear no objection from me.Yes -  thumbs up

Regards Graham

• 02-03-2009 1:12 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

I admit to not being a poster since I cannot do with all the hearty congratulations and the like. I am afraid it is just not me.Angry

I have the same problem - and to add to that, I never, ever win anything anywhere, and that isn't just Beoworld Laughing

I usually read the threads anyway and jump in if I catch something Wednesdayesque I have something to say about... but in any case, I agree with Jandyt about the weekday. Maybe Sunday would be better.

-mika

• 02-03-2009 1:23 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:
    I cannot do with all the hearty congratulations and the like. I am afraid it is just not me.

Me too, I admit to waiting until its all over and then reading all the posts at my speed. 

• 02-03-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

It was only the second time I believe, I have missed the prize draw.  Did notice when I looked in the morning the thread a bit on the small side. Last sunday of the month sounds like a good idea to me. At least one Sunday per month I would have something to think about other than Monday at work.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-03-2009 1:51 PM In reply to

Usually I try to be online at the time of the prize draw. Last Saturday I was on my way back home from collecting a Beogram 7000 in Germany, so I missed it. Sunday night might prove to be a better time.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 02-03-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Ironically I think the problem might be that the new date and time is a moment when most of us are free, and therefore not sitting in front of a computer on the beoworld forum.  I know in my case the reason I was able to attend the old prize draws was because I was stuck on a library computer at that time of day, so I was bound to watch.  On a weekend though I'm usually doing other things.  Plus after 1.5 years of not having won anything I've somewhat given up hoping lol.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 02-03-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I'm never sure of what time the draw starts.....is there a set time? Maybe if it was a little bit earlier? Just a thought!

I have to say that although I did post once during the last prize draw I don't usually..I think I get too excited and then can't think of anything interesting to post except..ME! ME! ME!!

Durban South Africa

• 02-03-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

francoisvl:

I'm never sure of what time the draw starts.....is there a set time? Maybe if it was a little bit earlier? Just a thought!

I believe it is 9.00pm UK time, which also means that the rest of the Europe will have to stay up rather late (not to mention on Wednesdays®...). I have no problem, I'm just thinking about the poor folks who have to get up early to work :P

I don't think it's possible to please everybody - we have lots of active overseas members -  but could it perhaps be one hour earlier? Has there ever been any published demographic on where Beoworld members live?

-mika

• 02-03-2009 3:08 PM In reply to

Great idea Andy Yes -  thumbs up

Even if I'm not gold member it is very interesting to be with you on prize draw night, and I'm always there ...

I'm to lazy to change my Visa virtuon card, and become gold Sad but I will do it :)

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-03-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Good idea, Andy. I think Saturday and maybe also Friday is not a good day for a draw, because lots of people have things planned on those days. I guess that is why you did not launch a Sat©-Thread?! Stick out tongue

I think it is a good idea to let the draw take place on a specific day of the week.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 02-03-2009 5:47 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Whatever you do it is not easy!  I have no objection to any changes - and confess taht sometimes I miss the draw as I am away or if I need to leave early the next day I may miss the end!  Bringing it forward 1 hour would help the UK, Europe but not those in USA, Canada, the Antipodes etc (sorry if I have missed out any other areas with regualr members (Reunion, RSA?)).

I am just so taken with the whole concept of the draw (not so sure about being able to make meaningful comments!) and love the mint items that keep turning up!

Brian 

• 02-03-2009 6:07 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Well according to the front page the next draw won't happen for about another 339 days.

So I think whatever option is chosen, it'll give plenty of time for us all to arange our schedules Wink

• 02-03-2009 6:36 PM In reply to

JoC:

Well according to the front page the next draw won't happen for about another 339 days.

So I think whatever option is chosen, it'll give plenty of time for us all to arange our schedules Wink

But only 24 days now... Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-03-2009 6:42 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Hmmm, just checked, 24 in IE and 339 in FireFox...

• 02-04-2009 2:50 AM In reply to

For the day after last months draw ONLY there was a high number because of a small error (the 28 day month), then I corrected on the morning of 1st Feb and it has been correct every since.

The issue you are seeing relates to caching of the page meaning it is still reading your local cached page or the proxy page if your ISP uses a proxy server and you have it enabled in your browser.

Press the REFRESH button will request an updated page from the Beoworld server.

Regards Keith....

• 02-04-2009 3:05 AM In reply to

When considering any change of the prize draw day, I suggest we monitor usage in terms of views made by members over the days since the upgrade. Below is a graph of these views by day as a first slice, subsequently we can look at time and number of members logged in.

Looking at views means that a member is reading something or at least has a page on their screen whereas looking at logged in members really does not give a picture because many leave their account logged in and then go to bed etc.

So, below is a graph of number of views per day since the upgrade was finished on the 21st January 2009 and the highest number was actually yesterday (3rd) of 19,720

Regards Keith....

• 02-04-2009 3:05 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Jandyt:

what about the last Sunday of each month?

What about the last Sunday of each week? Whistle

Good thinking Andy! Yes -  thumbs up

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)