in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-05-2009 3:12 PM by koning. 40 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (41 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-03-2009 8:37 PM In reply to

• Henri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

Re: Best ever designed BeoLab fom Bang&Olufsen

The_Beonic_Man:
    The Pentas were the first speakers that really caught my eye when I was a 'nipper' (a young guy for our European friends!) and I must say I looked at them in total awe.

Pentas must be the the ticket for me, too. I was in high school when they were first introduced, somewhat into hifi at the time, and seeing them the first time in person was something I'll never forget. That was the first time I realized that I wanted a B&O product - badly. Way out of my budget back then, but after all these years I now have a pair. As design icons, few AV products have ever made a lasting impression and I'll have to say they've aged gracefully. If they were introduced today, they'd still look just as stunning as they did in mid 80's.

Personally, from a purely visual standpoint, I'm not a fan of BL8000:s. Round tubular speakers weren't exactly common when they hit the showrooms, but as far as pure presence is concerned, they can't compete with Pentas.

• 03-03-2009 9:15 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Henri:

(re:Pentas) 

I'll have to say they've aged gracefully. If they were introduced today, they'd still look just as stunning as they did in mid 80's.

Laughing Yeah... that's a sure thing! Laughing

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-04-2009 1:44 AM In reply to

Best design Beolab 3000/5000, no question, unique design.

My favorite Beolab Penta!

• 03-04-2009 6:30 AM In reply to

• Henri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

Dave:
    Laughing Yeah... that's a sure thing! Laughing

In today's world, with strong emphasis on individuality, it's difficult to see that as a bad thing. People who I lovingly call pocketbook decorators don't have these anymore. Wink

• 03-04-2009 8:08 AM In reply to

Naturally, I've got to vote for the BeoLab 5s, as I have a lot of my life invested in them. More to the point, they represent a real step forward in loudspeaker performance. It is interesting to note that six years later, there still is no commercial competition for them. They are really hard to equal, let alone surpass. B&O really aced the competition with the BeoLab 5. Best regards, Dave Moulton
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 03-04-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

I'd also go for the Beolab 8000s from a design point of view, the Beolab 5s from a sonic one and the Pentas from a purely emotional one!

• 03-04-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Dave Moulton:
    It is interesting to note that six years later, there still is no commercial competition for them.... Best regards, Dave Moulton

True, Dave, and it's really nice to see that some people actually managed to make time to seem passing by slower than usuallly with BL5s (let's forget the flat screens for a moment) ...  I can though still enjoy BL2 in a combination with some other B&O speakers, ehm, as you do  ... Big Smile

Yes -  thumbs up

• 03-04-2009 4:31 PM In reply to

Best looking - BL8000s by a country mile - just fantastic. Performance wise, again no competition - the Beolab 5. Don't have either!! Laughing

Why? The sound of the 8000s is not good enough for the price and I don't listen to enough music properly to justify Beolab 5s. I am coming around slowly though!! My problem is that I would need 4 pairs as they make other speakers sound poor in comparison!

• 03-04-2009 6:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I have come soooooooo close in recent times to spending my hard earned spondoolicks on BL8000's and three times I've faltered at the last minute. They are beautiful but, at the death I tell myself, beauty is not enough! My bar has risen (much to my wifes distaste) to BL9's.

And now I worry, do I listen hard and long enough to justify the Lab 9's - I'm not sure I do........... but I'd still love them more than I can say.

She remains to be convinced!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-04-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

subversive:

Beolab 5

Looks like R2D2.

I'm for the BL3 combined with the 2.

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 03-05-2009 12:40 AM In reply to

I had an interesting experience a while ago. The opera Don Carlo was being performed at the opera house, with René Pape singing the role of King Philip. In the opera, he is alone in his castle, and sings Ella giammai m'amo - she never loved me, a very moving aria, with sotto voce instrumentals developing into orchestral spectacle.

Here's a YouTube sampler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTNdi-zX0g

Just before the premiere of Don Carlo, René Pape released a selection of opera arias on DG, and I bought that. It included Ella giammai m'amo.

I have very good seats at the opera, it was quite something to listen to.

Then I went home and put on the CD, and listened to Ella giammai m'amo on my BeoLab 5s. And it was quite something to listen to.
    My girlfriend said: it sounds just like it did at the opera.

So, yes, the BeoLab 5s.

• 03-05-2009 1:42 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

If you will allow me the luxury of generalizing, wives and audio don't mix. Big Smile

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 03-05-2009 11:00 AM In reply to

Girlfriend - girlfriend. Not wife. And this girlfriend is a jazz singer - she loves excellent audio.

• 03-05-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

I'm wondering when we will see a new alt loudspeaker?Hmm

• 03-05-2009 2:33 PM In reply to

Best design ... no doubt the 8000.

Best technical design : the BL5 , no competition there. 

Though the BL5 sounds great , there just too big and chunky for me and I prefer the BL8000.
    I'm looking for a pair of reasonable priced 8000's on ebay without bases (turns up once in a while) so I can put white frets and carrara marble base to better fit the rest of my place.

Seen them with white frets and fell in love with them..... 

• 03-05-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

Peter wrote:The sound of the 8000s is not good enough for the price.

What I can't undstand is why after al those years B&O didn't give their bestselling loudspeakers (sold 500000) a decent upgrade.

They worth it

Page 2 of 2 (41 items) < Previous 1 2