in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2009 4:39 PM by bayerische. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2009 7:26 AM

World's recession and B&O

What do U think will world recession hit Bang&Olufsen? How can they dam each yerars loss?

• 02-02-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

Re: World's recession and B&O

I think the recession has already hit B&O pretty hard. And will continue to do so.

But it's the same is with all things expensive.

The Beo store I use, is always empty... Well at least when I visit....

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-02-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Bang is busy putting its resources to good use.  It will deliver some clever products very soon, ones that have been in the pipeline before Kalle took the helm.  Kalle will also ensure new products will be technically superior in the future, Bang learnt here.

The company is becoming more lean and focused, I think thats all you can do in these times.

• 02-02-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

Clever... Such as the 100" monster plasma. Must have done a lot of market research. Big Smile

We should offer this TV to the thread about leaving it in standby or shutting it off completely! The Panasonic version (Beo's is probably also Panasonic screen) draws but 1,5KW. Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-02-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Dude1:

Bang is busy putting its resources to good use.  It will deliver some clever products very soon, ones that have been in the pipeline before Kalle took the helm.  Kalle will also ensure new products will be technically superior in the future, Bang learnt here.

The company is becoming more lean and focused, I think thats all you can do in these times.

I strongly hope that they ensure their products become superior in terms of quality, too!

"Made in China" on the B&O  products make the customers run away ;-)

• 02-02-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

Dude1:

Yeah, a Half finished beosound 5!!

That 's not the way to go.

• 02-02-2009 10:28 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

It was only "half finished" for the showrooms to demonstrate as considerable interest within the UK and Europe meant that showrooms were under pressure to show the product.

Of course, it has been designed as an upgradeable software product, so when it will be "finished" depends when technology is to the point that there are no more upgradeable requirements.

• 02-02-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

That message is heard loud and clear.

• 02-02-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Better to wait and release something that is working than send it out, to meet customer demand, when it is not ready!

Some 20 years ago when talking with my local ealer he rued the day that there were no longer entry level systems.  He discoverd that 10-20% of people would come back and upgrade - a useful source of potential customers.  Now with some TVs costing £000s where are the entry level customers?

Brian

• 02-02-2009 10:49 AM In reply to

Dude1:
    It was only "half finished" for the showrooms to demonstrate as considerable interest within the UK and Europe meant that showrooms were under pressure to show the product.

The software that is now on machine that are sold to the public is stable but lack features that are normally part of all B&O products, like being able to be used from link rooms.

• 02-02-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

I think define ready. With the increased complexity (compare a BS 5 to an old FM radio) I think what features should be there and which not can be argued. The potential is so huge but at the same time you have to stay within a certain budget and while technically you can make everybody happy, financially you can't. They have to somehow figure out how to make "updates" attractive enough for a customer that he is willing to pay a bit for it, without getting him upset. In the early stages of a product this is quiet difficult I would think ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-02-2009 2:03 PM In reply to

Dude1:

Of course, it has been designed as an upgradeable software product, so when it will be "finished" depends when technology is to the point that there are no more upgradeable requirements.

"half finished" for the showrooms??!!

What about the the linkrooms?   Still no solution!

you can't see what's playing in a linkroom.

ShameSuper Angry  Half finished for sure

• 02-02-2009 2:09 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    I think define ready

Having to press 1000 times on the Up Arrow to get to my 1000th song when using my remote is not what I call ready.

• 02-02-2009 6:04 PM In reply to

>>Having to press 1000 times on the Up Arrow to get to my 1000th song when using my remote is not what I call ready.<<

That is a prime example for increased complexity. If they would have just deactivated the Beomedia to TV connection, that would have simplified a lot. They should have focused on the BS5 first. Then a 2 way remote which is supposed to be in the pipe. With a 2 way , the TV function becomes neglect-able for music playing. In the end the BS5 is a music product, not video or pictures. Looking at it, I think they were trying to do too much even though I have to give them that they are selling the BS5 with the BM as a black box. I don't see them advertising the BM as a stand alone product or carrying any kind of functionality.

Actually I take that back, it does show up now on their page. Just checked again.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-02-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    I don't see them advertising the BM as a stand alone product or carrying any kind of functionality.

That is because you have not looked here: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beomaster5

They even mention the Beolink feature that does not yet work.

• 02-02-2009 9:17 PM In reply to

Dear All:

It would not surprise me if we start seeing more B&O products being produced outside Denmark.  Already, high end European retailers such Louis Vuitton are making shoes, bags, and more in China.  Let's face it, China can & does built high end stuff.  It also provides flexibility that, for example, Italian manufactures cannot or do not  in a timely fashion.  

B&W is producing speakers in China, not their flagship.  It built its own factory in China & it's managed by them.  The wages of those Chinese workers are higher.  B&O may have to go more to Eastern Europe to survive this economic downturn.  Many high end retailers are doing their bulk of production in China but keeping it very quiet.  

Some manufactures are doing just minor 'finishing' work in their native countries to get the label made in Italy, etc.  B&O may have to do the same.  Ultimately, companies are multinationals and they will do whatever it takes to survive.  As the consumers, we have to decide to support them or not.  If the company continues to deliver innovative, high quality products does it matter if it was made in Denmark or China or Eastern Europe?  

It appeals to our sense of exclusivity when we see it was made in the old world, even perhaps our 'snob' factor.  Times they're changing.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 02-03-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Don't tell me that B&O can't produce their stuff in Europe, even core Europe i.e. high wage countries, with the prices they're charging. I won't for sure consider buying any high priced item produced in China.

If we accept this, we kill our jobs ourselves!

There should be a limit to human stupidity and the current crisis is exactly reflecting human greed of never enough!

• 02-03-2009 4:14 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

petz:

Don't tell me that B&O can't produce their stuff in Europe, even core Europe i.e. high wage countries, with the prices they're charging. I won't for sure consider buying any high priced item produced in China.

There should be a limit to human stupidity and the current crisis is exactly reflecting human greed of never enough!

100% agree! 
    B&O was able to produce their goods for >50 years in Denmark and suddenly it's not possible any more? Managers think we are stupid and the stock quote loss of B&O is the answer of their customers for moving some production to eastern Europe and eventualy China.
    The quality is lower and customers DEMAND the original B&O quality of the item "Made in Denmark".

There are enough hifi companies that produces their stuff in their home countries ...
    Get rid of those managers and go back to your roots and you will survive :-)

• 02-03-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

petz:

You are absolutely right Petz. 

-Andreas

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)