in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-28-2007 3:32 PM by Greg. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-25-2007 8:07 AM

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Who has a BeoCenter 6-26?

Well, I went into the dealer to take a look at the BV8. Initially, I didn't like this TV at all when I saw the pictures. The 'shelf' is interesting, though, and the look of it is totally different to anything else, which appealed to me. So, I go in and have a look. Firstly, it looks every bit as unusual in reality as in the pictures, and a little nicer. The huge B&O logo which had really put me off actually doesn't look so bad - in fact it's very subtle in the flesh. And the Serene-type soft-touch plastics are pretty high quality. And most of all, the sound really is very impressive indeed.

But... they had it set up right next to a BeoCenter 6-26 and - to put it mildly - there's absolutely no contest in terms of quality - both quality of manufacture and picture quality. Now obviously the BC6 is dearer (GBP 3,000 versus GBP 2,000), but to me it looked worth every bit of the difference - and then some. Much more B&O, with proper glass screen, and very high build quality.

I'd never really considered the BC6, because I thought I needed a 32" screen size (I'd gone to see the BV8 in anticipation of the forthcoming 32). I always liked the look of the BV6 in preference to the BV7-32 (which of course is bundled with a very average - and expensive -DVD player that I don't need).  And sitting in the dealership looking at the 26" across the room it seemed perfectly big enough.

Our living room area is pretty small (about 5m x 4m) and so in any case having a smaller TV would be nice in the sense of not totally dominating the room. However, I do like to watch a movie occasionally and would strongly consider getting the surround module (in place of the DAB module that I wouldn't use) and - ideally - 4 x BL3s on floor stands, or 4 x BL4000s if money's tight!!

So here's where I need some help. Does anyone have a BC6-26 as their main TV? Is it large enough to watch movies on occasionally? And are you happy with it in general?  I'd really love to get your views about this TV.
    Filed under:
  • 05-25-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

• andyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Peak District, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Bronze Member

Re: Who has a BeoCenter 6-26?

Hey Greg, I've had my BV-22 for about 2 1/2 years now and I have to say its been superb. My old living room size was about the same as yours (4.5m x 4.5m) and I found my reduced size screen perfectly adequate for my viewing needs.

Superb features like the anti-reflect and auto adjust make the set a delight to use; its just I don't always appreciate it until I view a friends Sony!

/A 

• 05-25-2007 10:08 AM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Hi Greg,

I'm in the same configuration : my living-room is 5m x 4m, with a distance TV to sofa of approx. 2.5 m.

I have a BV6-26 (with the surround module, BL3, BL2 and BL6000) and must say I'm extremely pleased with it. The TV doesn't eat space, the picture size is perfect, as well as the surround set-up. I have the BV6 on the motorized floor stand and I can only praise for its integration, and picture/sound/design quality.

Philippe

• 05-25-2007 11:12 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I think the BC6-26 would be the perfect choice for you(and IMO it looks gorgeous!), but you have to be aware of the viewing distance.  If it is superiour to 3m, a 26" could be a little small...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-25-2007 11:15 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Thanks guys. I think I already made the decision ;-)

I'd also looked at the Sony bravia w2000 32", which has 1080 (full HD) resolution but its picture wasn't as good, strangely. And of course is a much cheaper, very plastic-looking TV. 

But some more questions!

I guess the BC6-26 will support HD at 720p?  I don't yet have Sky HD (but probably will do), is it OK for this via its DVI input??  Do you guys have HD sources connected?  I must admit the one thing that still puts me off this set is the lack of HDMI or component video connection - seems like it's outdated even before I buy it.

I'll want to connect Sky HD box (and control via Beo4/5), Apple TV or similar (and control via Beo4/5), DVD player, and Wii. Ideally, I'd like to connect each one via HDMI or component, and on the BC6 I'll only have one DVI connector.

Finally, one really simple basic question I should probably know the answer to, but don't.  If you're watching a DVD which has say dts surround audio, and of course you want to experience that surround on your beolabs via the surround module, how to do connect the DVD player - i.e. how does the surround/multichannel information get communicated from the DVD to the surround module in the TV?  If it's connected via DVI (for picture) and red/white phono plugs (for audio) then surely the TV only receives stereo audio, not 5.1?  So is that information communicated instead via pins on the SCART connector, so I would connect the DVD via SCART??

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!!!
  • 05-25-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Update - I just went and measured and it's about 2.5m from sofa to the low unit I plan to put the TV on.

So I'm thinking the 26 is big enough!

G.
  • 05-25-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

Since the BC6 has video out conections I would think you could add a projector if you feel the picture is too small. That would be my personal preference. Small B&O TV for surround and casual TV watching, projector for movie night.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-25-2007 12:42 PM In reply to

Hi Greg,

we had a BV6-26 when it came on the market. The viewing distance was nearly 3m. Picture and sound (with surround) were really great. Due to some rearangement of our living room the viewing distance changed to 5,5m so we needed to upgrade. But the look of the BV6 was better IMHO as it has not dominated the room that much. Go for it!

Marcus

• 05-25-2007 12:53 PM In reply to

hi Greg,,I don't have BeoCenter 6-26 ( in fact I have never seen one in North America)!!, but I have 2  LCD  TV.In

one room- the bedroom - ( which is 5x4 m) I have a 19' LCD and in the livingroom (6x5m)  a 26' LCD. In fact I don't like to have big screen TV, which is by the way 'a la mode'   ,  and the 26' is more than sufficient for my needs ( a big screen would dominate the room also). On the other hand, if you are a movie watcher, I would go for 32-40' because it's a little bit annoying looking at a 26'!!!! Me, I'm looking only at documentaries movies ( PBS, National Geographic etc..------In fact I prefer not seeing a LION or DINOSAUR on a 65' screen  ___in my house I'm the king - I'm the big one)......... 

In your case, I would buy a Sony ( 26' for ex.) and see if I'm happy with it. If the size are acceptable ( 1-2 weeks are more than sufficient to arrive at a decision about the screen size) I would return the Sony and go for B&O once the decision is taken ( 26 or 32).... 

regards,

constantin

all sold!

• 05-25-2007 2:22 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Greg:

Finally, one really simple basic question I should probably know the answer to, but don't.  If you're watching a DVD which has say dts surround audio, and of course you want to experience that surround on your beolabs via the surround module, how to do connect the DVD player - i.e. how does the surround/multichannel information get communicated from the DVD to the surround module in the TV?  If it's connected via DVI (for picture) and red/white phono plugs (for audio) then surely the TV only receives stereo audio, not 5.1?  So is that information communicated instead via pins on the SCART connector, so I would connect the DVD via SCART??

You simply have to connect a coax cable that will feed the BeoVision with your DVD 5.1 channel (providing your DVD player has a coax output, otherwise you'll have to buy an optical to coax adaptor). And then just tell the BeoVision which AV scart is coupled to this surround signal and that's it...

Really straightforward.

Philippe

• 05-26-2007 11:47 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Philippe:
    Greg:

You simply have to connect a coax cable that will feed the BeoVision with your DVD 5.1 channel (providing your DVD player has a coax output, otherwise you'll have to buy an optical to coax adaptor). And then just tell the BeoVision which AV scart is coupled to this surround signal and that's it...

Really straightforward.

Philippe

Thanks Philippe, that does sound straightforward enough, I guess (looking at the BC6-26 reference guide) I plug the digital audio coax from the DVD into A1 or A2 on the TV's socket panel - and the video from the DVD has to be connected via SCART?
  • 05-27-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

I have owned a BC6-26 since a couple of months. I use it as a second TV in the bedroom, with a viewing distance of around 3 m, which is the farthest limit in my opinion. We bought it because we wanted to have a device with both TV and a radio function. My experience with it has been that it is a very good TV set and the sound from the built-in speakers is excellent, especially the quality of the human voice reproduction. However, I would not buy it as a main TV for the home cinema because in my opinion the display appears too small, even if you watch it from a distance of 2 meters. Maybe I have this impression because I have a bigger Beovision as well.

What I don't particularly like is that the motorised table stand of BC6-26 has a quite big hole right under the bottom edge of the TV set (probably to attach another speaker like BL7-1), which is very visible.

If you decide to go for BC6-26 I would recommend you to take a dark grey version (this is the one I have and it has a very decent look).

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 05-27-2007 11:52 PM In reply to

Hi there,

I agree with Beodim, I have a red BC6-26 since Feb wall mounted end of my bed with a viewing distance of 6ft only.  Its a very nice TV to watch news and TV series but for movies, I think its a bit small.  Wait till the 8-32 comes out and see if B&O will put a surround module on it.

D
  • 05-28-2007 9:25 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

B&O have said that that they don't plan to fit a surround module to any model of the BV8

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-28-2007 9:43 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Also, although the BV8 is a more interesting design, and better quality than - say - a Sony Bravia, it's nowhere near as good quality - picture or build - as the BeoCenter 6.  The way I think of it is that the BV8 is twice the price of the Sony but only 50% better, whereas the BC6 is 3 times the price of the Sony but is maybe 310% better!

The BV8-32 will I guess be identical to the 26 in all respects other than screen size, and won't have surround capability. As regards the 26 being too small, I'm not sure. Perhaps if they made a BC6-32 that would be perfect! (Personally, I much prefer the design of the BC6 to that of BV7 even without considering the vastly inflated price of the latter for its unimpressive built-in DVD).

But even then, I have a feeling that a 32 is slightly bigger than would be right in such a small living area. My plan now I think is to have the BC6-26 in the living room, possibly with 5.1, and maybe in the future move it to a bedroom when the living room set is upgraded (and possibly when we move to a larger house!).

I think the problem is, as people have already said, you want a large screen for watching movies but a small TV for regular programming or when it's switched off and you don't want it dominating the room... unfortunately there just isn't room to have a projector screen, there wouldn't be enough distance from the sofa!

• 05-28-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

beodim:
    What I don't particularly like is that the motorised table stand of BC6-26 has a quite big hole right under the bottom edge of the TV set (probably to attach another speaker like BL7-1), which is very visible.

If you decide to go for BC6-26 I would recommend you to take a dark grey version (this is the one I have and it has a very decent look).

I did notice that about the stand - and also I don't like the height of the stand (or rather how high the TV would be on the motorised table stand). It looks very odd such a small TV being so high up. I'd planned to put it on a low MDF Italia Minima 60 and even then it would be quite high, and the ugly hole in the stand would be right in my line of sight :-(

The BC3-23 seems to have a much lower stand, which looks much better. I guess I'd have to have it without a proper stand, which means it's difficult to adjust viewing angle and can't be done remotely, which is annoying!

On the colour, yes I was thinking of the dark grey one because I agree it looks particularly good in this colour!
  • 05-28-2007 11:09 AM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Greg:

Thanks Philippe, that does sound straightforward enough, I guess (looking at the BC6-26 reference guide) I plug the digital audio coax from the DVD into A1 or A2 on the TV's socket panel - and the video from the DVD has to be connected via SCART?

Exactly.

And about the 26" size, just trust your own opinion... If you feel 26" is good enough for you, go for it (it's not 32" or + owners who will watch videos at your home anyway Laughing).

Ans as it's been put before, if one wants a true-to-life movie experience, you just inevitably need a projector and a big screen, because even a 32" or 40" screen can't do this job, and therefore it would end in a downsized home cinema experience.

Philippe

• 05-28-2007 3:32 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Philippe:
    And about the 26" size, just trust your own opinion... If you feel 26" is good enough for you, go for it (it's not 32" or + owners who will watch videos at your home anyway Laughing).

Ans as it's been put before, if one wants a true-to-life movie experience, you just inevitably need a projector and a big screen, because even a 32" or 40" screen can't do this job, and therefore it would end in a downsized home cinema experience.

Philippe

That's a very wise and well-considered verdict. Thanks for all your help and opinion. Now I just have to find the money...
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)