in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2009 5:07 PM by Razlaw. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2009 9:31 AM

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

BeoCenter 3 driving 2 screens in two rooms. (1 BV4 and 1 BV8/6)

I have a Beocenter 3 driving a 50inch BV4 in the bedroom. The BC3 has several high definition sources plugged into it (Sky, Apple TV, Blue Ray). It has been set up as a 5.1 setup (not a 7.1 setup)

I would like to drive a second TV in a another room and still get all the HD video sources. 

I think I can get a second HD signal to another TV via the projector DVI output. BUT how can I get audio to the second tv?

I am only using 5 of the 7 speaker outputs on the BC3 so I originally thought I could set up the projector output to use 2 additional speakers (#6 and #7) that went into the room with the second TV. BUT I don't think this will work because I cannot set speaker 6 and 7 to output STEREO L/R (ie Dolby 2.1)  only 5.1 L/R (which would leave me without a center and no dialogue). 

My ideal solution would have me just using the speakers built into the second tv not any additional speakers.

Does anyone know if I can use the masterlink audio with the projector DVI video output?

The second TV could be a BV8 or BV6 (or even a non B/O tv if that would somehow help.

If this is possible is there anyway to control the BC3 with some sort of IR eye or repeater?

Any ideas?

• 01-31-2009 12:11 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoCenter 3 driving 2 screens in two rooms. (1 BV4 and 1 BV8/6)

It probably a BeoSystem 3 and not BeoCenter 3 you have. BC3 is not yet revealed.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 01-31-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

If you do mean the Beosystem 3, it does seem possible to me that it would work. There was a thread here several months ago about this very topic but I am unable to find it now. I believe B and O would tell you it will not work. Also, I think the Beosystem 3 manual indicates that only one Panel can be run from the BS3 and one projector. I do not understand why two panels could not be connected. I have considered a similiar possibility with our Beovision 7.

As for the speakers, remember that with the Beosystem 3 the speakers can be connected in series, or daisy chained. For instance we presently only have one powerlink connected to the Beosystem 3 for our rear speakers and then connect the one speaker to the other. The onscreen programming menu on the BS3 will then allow one to assign the speaker's role.

My thought for doing what you want to do is something like this:

Speaker output 1    front speakers in room one Speaker output 2    rear speakers room 1  Speaker output 3  center channel room 1

Similiarly   Speaker outputs 4, 5, and 6 would do room 2.

I do not know if it is possible to daisy chain more than two speakers together.  Also, even if the above would work, I am not sure how to get a sub in both rooms.

As for controlling it from the second room all that would seem to be needed is a B and O eye/receiver.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 01-31-2009 1:58 PM In reply to

Here is one thread on the topic. There was another I can not find it.     2 panels on the BS3 -

• 02-01-2009 6:35 AM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for digging up the posts. I do mean a BeoSystem 3. 

Ideally I would like to avoid buying 3 new speakers (L/R/C) for the 2nd room (it is a very small room being used as a gym). Does anyone know a way to use the masterlink for audio or to use the speaker outs on the System 3 to feed the BV6 or 8 audio input?

Philip

• 02-01-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

I may be wrong but I think all you need to do is connect the Masterlink.  We have speakers connected by Masterlink in two rooms in our house and I can listen to the TV sources through them. I would think it would be the same with another TV.  There are others here however who would be much better at answering that question.

• 02-02-2009 3:51 AM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Can anyone else confirm if this would work. Video out of DVI port #2 (the one usually used for projector) and audio out via masterlink?

Alternatively does anyone know if the BS3 will downscale HD sources before it sends them out over masterlink or will it just show a blank screen?

best

• 02-02-2009 4:19 AM In reply to

• M4SPM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom
    • Posts 38
    • Founder

I have two Panasonic Monitors connected to my BS3 in two  different rooms. One monitor connects to the Projector socket.

I ran a DVI cable to the second room and 3 powerlink cables. And the IR receiver cable

When you select the Projector you can program the speakers as per the 2nd room.

I also use the Beo5 Remote to switch the panasonic plasma on and off in the 2nd room

One thing to note is if you plug a second IR receiver into the BS3 only one IR receiver will work. I got round this by pluging a 2nd receiver into the BS3 but putting a two way switch along the cable in both rooms.

• 02-02-2009 5:48 AM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

For the second room I assume you have the 3 speakers set up as L/R and Center. Do you know if you can select a speaker to be normal Stereo (ie L/R 2.1 sound not 5.1 sound) so you could just get two speakers not three. (the second room I want to run is small and I just need a small tv)

For the IR receivers does the two way switch need to be toggled to make the different rooms work or is it a Y joint of some sort.

And finally do you know if there is any way to use the masterlink for audio in the second room directly into a BV 6 or 8?

best

• 02-02-2009 6:17 AM In reply to

• M4SPM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom
    • Posts 38
    • Founder

In the 2nd room you can have as little as one center speaker, or two speakers set as center left and right or upto 5 speakers.

The two way switch is a simple Y type switch I think from memory there is a need to break the green wire in the IT cable to allow the 1st room IR to continue working.

I also use this setup for audio in the 2nd room. You must first select a vedio source in the 2nd room, but after this you can use audio sources and they will play through the speakers in the 2nd room.

• 02-02-2009 7:07 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

phult:

Alternatively does anyone know if the BS3 will downscale HD sources before it sends them out over masterlink or will it just show a blank screen?

Correct, it does downscale. I'm not impressed either. As the HD signal has to be sent back down an analogue cable, the resulting picture is poorer than a standard analogue signal, from a HD source, on the link room TV.

Bear in mind one thing though - if you use a Sky HD box, do not update your Beosystem 3 to the latest software as there are problems with Sky HD and link room TVs. Basically the link room TV claims 'this TV does not support HDCP' unless you keep the other (main room) TV turned on.

• 02-02-2009 8:08 AM In reply to

M4SPM:

I have two Panasonic Monitors connected to my BS3 in two  different rooms. One monitor connects to the Projector socket.

I ran a DVI cable to the second room and 3 powerlink cables. And the IR receiver cable

When you select the Projector you can program the speakers as per the 2nd room.

I also use the Beo5 Remote to switch the panasonic plasma on and off in the 2nd room

One thing to note is if you plug a second IR receiver into the BS3 only one IR receiver will work. I got round this by pluging a 2nd receiver into the BS3 but putting a two way switch along the cable in both rooms.

I am glad to hear confirmation that it will work. I am a little confused about the two eye issue. We have a BV7 MKIII. If I connected a second panel in another room with an eye would I have problems?  Would I need the switch as you mention? 

• 02-02-2009 8:10 AM In reply to

duplicate

• 02-02-2009 8:36 AM In reply to

• phult
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2009
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

I am still somewhat confused.

Seems like there are three potential ways to go:

1) Run the second screen through the normal RF/Masterlink set up. Cons: No HD, Sky HD doesn't seem to work with new software update

2) Use a second screen and 3 new speakers. Two for R/L and one for Center. Cons: You will essentially have five speakers in a very small room (the integrated L/R speakers of the BV6 or BV8 + three external speakers. This will be hard to set up elegantly in the room I am thinking about.

3) Use a second screen and use 1 new speaker. The new speaker is set to be Center channel. Con: THe sound will be a bit odd as it will only be the center channel audio, not stereo or mono (ie it will carry mostly dialogue and little else)

4) Use a second screen and 2 new speakers. The new speakers will be L and R. Con: they will not be stereo L and stereo R. They will be the L and R channel of a 5.1 setup. This means they will not carry much dialogue as the BS3 will try to send this to the non-existent center channel.

All solutions seem like a cludge. Does anyone know

1) If you are running only 2 speakers in the second room if they can be set to Stereo left and Stereo R as opposed to 5.1 L/R

2) If you can somehow frankenstein the powerlink cable from the BS3 so that it leads into the audio inputs of the BV6 or BV8.

3) If you can set the BV6/8 to use the DVI port for video but the masterlink port for audio.

4) If you can somehow frankenstein the powerlink cable to supply the BV6/8 audio through the normal audio inputs (ie not the masterlink input).

I know this is a very complicated question but I have the walls opened up and no dealer seems to be able to answer the question

THanks for all the help

• 02-03-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

Hi, an interesting thread.

What about this?  Projector output and speakers set up as normal in ROOM 1 with SKY HD connected via HDMI to the BS3

In ROOM 2 connect, for example a BEOCENTER 6.  Use the DISPLAY 1 output from the BS3 to connect to the BEOCENTER 6 via DVI - use either AV1 - AV3 if you have scart connected (for audio) or AV4 if using L/R phono direct from the SKY HD box.  Run an STB lead as normal, well you'll have two won't you, one from the BS3 controlling the SKY HD box and one from the BEOCENTER 6 controlling the SKY HD box.

Set this up as a local source (STB/DTV).

That seems to be as far as you can go really with distributing HD signals to two rooms with audio UNLESS you can simultaneously output a stereo feed and 5.1 feed simultaneously from your source, as it appears you can with the SKY HD Box.    For example, APPLE TV could possibly feed the BS3 and then do the same over AV4 on the Beocenter to get 2 channel audio.  Always you will be limited to two channel audio because your 5.1 feed will be connected to the BS3.

Any other sources connected to the BS3 will have to be connected via ML/RF and then BEOCENTER 6 will operate as a conventional link TV.

• 02-03-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

Here is a thread with some more comments on two panels.

BV7 -

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)