in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2009 11:40 AM by Justin. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-29-2009 6:29 AM

• bdm01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 36
    • Gold Member

The best STB's to use in the UK

Iv'e just updated the STB chip on my BS2 MKIII to version 4.01 west europe thanks for all the info and pictures etc, it made it a bit easier when you know what your looking for !

My question now would be, I live in the UK, in worcestershire, Digital teresstrial TV is still pretty poor in the area so may hold back on a receiver for a while, but what other Satellite units can I get hold of in the UK does anyone have experience good or bad on what works or not, ie, are the Topfield or Humax decoders any good which models work well more important what does not work well. I take it that the best way to integrate Blu-ray will be to use a PS3 ? or is there a better way.

One of the most important things to me and i'm sure a reason why we all stick with B&O is I only want one remote BEO4

Any help or advice would be appreciated by me and i'm sure by others that read this thread.

• 01-29-2009 6:44 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: The best STB's to use in the UK

Surprised the Sky+ box isn't in your list. Used by millions in the UK (& mainland Europe!). Have you considered this? Also Freesat is new on the market. Same satellite, different receiver box.

Smile

• 01-29-2009 8:57 AM In reply to

• bdm01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 36
    • Gold Member

Pace Sky+ is in the list but didn't want to start paying money to sky when there appears to be a lot of free stuuf out there.

Really wanted those of you who have freesat or fereeview boxes set up and working for comments please, also best way to use Hi Def (Blu-ray) dvd is it the PS3 route or a better way

• 01-29-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

Have you,or an engineer,tested the signal strength received by your aerial?

Has an upgrade of aerial been suggested as an option for improved Freeview reception?

If you are definitely in a poor reception area,then Freesat would appear to be your only option if you do not wish to subscribe to Sky.

Of the Freesat boxes available,comparative tests in AV magazines have shown the Humax to be the best all round performer.

Their Freesat PVR is currently rarer than hen's teeth.

If tests reveal that Freeview is an option,then you have an extremely wide choice of equipment.

Having had an aerial upgrade,the Freeview tuners in my Humax 9200,Topfield 5800,and Panasonic EX87 HDD/DVD recorder produce excellent PQ.

However,I cannot comment on what boxes would be controllable with your B & O remote.

• 01-29-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

I used to have Sky+ which worked excellently with a Beo4, but recently moved where I cannot get Sky, so switched to a Topfield 5800 - I can confirm that as a user interface this is a horrible machine, and would recommend to stay clear.

I have a BT Vision box in the bedroom (not Beo4 controllable) that has a superb interface and fully recommend as being better than Sky. Apparantly this will become multi-roomable, at which time the 5800 will go in the bin.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)