in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2009 9:35 AM by tournedos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-29-2009 5:40 AM

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Moving Micro Cross (MMC) cartridges

Curious about the MMC cartridges and when choosing pre-amps; for example the NAD PP2 that I picked up gave the option to connect the BeoGram 2000 either as MC (Moving Coil) or MM (Moving Magnet) unit. Since I didn't really know what to use and had to google a bit before figuring out that the MMC cartridges is a moving iron design so it seemed that MM was the correct connection for the NAD PP2 pre-amp.

But, looking at the various cheap and expensive pre-amps on the market are there units that should be avoided due to that they simply doesn't really work well together with B&O MMC cartridges? I'm asking from a curious point and as well hopefully other users might avoiding to buy wrong pre-amps.

What are the general thoughts, suggestions and recommendations regarding RIAA pre-amps?

• 01-29-2009 7:02 AM In reply to

Re: Moving Micro Cross (MMC) cartridges

B&O cartridges are definitely MM types when it comes to choosing the preamp input. However, their output levels are typically somewhat lower than other manufacturer's MM cartridges have. Therefore, if you have a choice, you might want to pick a preamp that has adjustable level, or be prepared to crank up the volume a little compared to other sources (the difference is nothing dramatic, though).

I would prefer a preamp with a DIN input connector, which would save you from an extra adapter in the very low level signal path, and the hassle of rigging up the grounding wire (please do not bastardize the original DIN cable!). However, these are pretty rare.

-mika

• 01-29-2009 8:34 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Agree with avoiding extra adapters; I actually had my plans to re-wire the original DIN cable to get ride of the extra DIN to RCA adapter cable. Regarding the RIAA pre-amp I did look at the Cambridge 540P as well; but unfortunalty neither units we're connected for testing; so I picked the NAD PP2. Curious though; would you be able to point me to a pre-amp with adjustable level?

Filed under: ,
  • 01-29-2009 9:35 AM In reply to

Unfortunately no - I'm not really familiar with any particular type since even my vintage turntable (Beogram 6000) has internal RIAA :)

Some manufacturers offer line amplifiers for signal level matching, but that gets so silly that I'd really rather live with the level difference.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)