in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-03-2009 7:35 AM by tournedos. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2009 8:08 AM

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

datalink pins in DIN socket

Hi, in the FAQ, there is mentioned, that unscrew the datalink pins if connecting to a 5 pin DIN socket. Do I need to open the connector, or use pliers to screw them off from outside. I do not have access to the connector just now, so can't check it out.

Another thing, is there some gimmick to connect Beogram 9500 to an Ouverture so, that it can be operated with Beo4? I'm going to use Pro-Ject Phonobox in between as pre-amp.

Pekka

• 01-28-2009 8:17 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: datalink pins in DIN socket

Hi.

You don't need to open the connector. The two pins are actually screws so you can simply un-screw the two with a very small screwdriver. There is a slot at the end of the pin. When you have the connector at hand you will see. I wouldn't use pliers as it might bend the surrounding pins. And remember to pack the two loose pins carefully somewhere safe! They are very small and easy to lose.... Embarrassed

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-28-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

majand:

Another thing, is there some gimmick to connect Beogram 9500 to an Ouverture so, that it can be operated with Beo4? I'm going to use Pro-Ject Phonobox in between as pre-amp.

I was going to say the Ouverture AUX socket has no datalink connections, so it won't be of any assistance - but actually it seems it does. So you would have to somehow route the datalink signals past the 3rd party pre-amp, which obviously doesn't know anything about them.

I don't think anything like this is available off the shelf anywhere, but it would be possible to construct the adapters. You can test this by just plugging the Beogram straight to AUX - the sound will be useless, but you'll see if the remote control would work.

-mika

• 01-28-2009 4:31 PM In reply to

• ridax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

You can test this by just plugging the Beogram straight to AUX - the sound will be useless, but you'll see if the remote control would work.

I don't think that would work as the Aux socket is Line level and the Beogram 9500 needs a RIAA amplifier.  I know what you are going to say... that you already said the sound will not come through.  But it is more than that.  Beograms without Line level output have their datalink pin on the opposite pin compared to Line level units.  So the Beogram 9500 datalink pin would actually be connected to the Aux link pin of the Ouverture and not the datalink, so I doubt it would work.

But if you make a special cable with the datalink signal crossed over between the pins and the audio going through a RIAA it should work.

• 01-29-2009 12:41 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

ridax:
    But if you make a special cable with the datalink signal crossed over between the pins and the audio going through a RIAA it should work.

I'm going to solder the cable anyway, so i'll fetch some 7 pin DIN's and cross the link pins in one cable and bypass the audio through the pre-amp using RCA.

Would be more flexible in testing to use RCA also to link pins, but DIN is more B&O. Let's see what happens.

Thank's for the info!

Pekka

• 01-30-2009 4:06 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

Now, to make this more complicated, and interresting, I'm going to add some kind of a audio switch, also, to the AUX of the Ouverture. This, because I have my iMac also connected there and want to switch between iMac and Beogram.

If I do, as I intended above, connect link pins straight with a cable, and the switch is in iMac position, pressing A.AUX will start the Beogram also, I believe.

So, this leads to building the switch also, so the link will be cut when in "non-Beo" position. On the positive side, less adapter cables, since I can put DIN, RCA and jack connectors straight to the switchbox, and can do the crossing of the link lines inside, so the cables can be straight.

I guess a good quality rotational, multi position, switch would be enough? No grounding or termination of the loose ends needed?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Pekka

• 01-30-2009 6:09 AM In reply to

I took a look in the relevant service manuals, and as Ridax says, the datalink pins change role depending on whether the Beogram has an internal RIAA amp or not. BG9500 doesn't, so the data pin is 6, and you can leave 7 disconnected (it goesn't go anywhere in the Beogram, anyway).

And the Ouverture makes this easy: it has both 6 and 7 connected to Datalink in parallel, so you can simply run straight pin 6-6 and forget about 7 on both ends.

However, one thing I didn't think originally is the actual commands sent: will the Ouverture send a "play" command the Beogram can understand when you select aux (+ go/play) from the remote? This isn't covered in manuals... I tried swapping Beogram and Beocord on my BS6500, and the remote control didn't work then, but I'm not sure if this proves anything about your setup.

But it's easy to test, just connect the datalink signal and ground, and try it. I suggest you keep both units unplugged from mains while making and breaking the connections, the datalink interfaces don't have very elaborate protection for overvoltages and such.

When constructing a switch, you don't have to terminate the signals anyway, just keep the signal grounds connected together at all times (i.e not switched).

-mika

• 01-31-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

• ridax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

Are you sure that the Ouverture has the datalink pins in parallell on pin 6 and 7?  If I recall correctly it has Datalink on one of the pins and Aux link on the other.  But I can't find the ouverture service manual, so can't check.

• 01-31-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

ridax:

Are you sure that the Ouverture has the datalink pins in parallell on pin 6 and 7?  If I recall correctly it has Datalink on one of the pins and Aux link on the other.

Not 100% sure as I've never seen one myself - but the schematic in the service manual shows it:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

(aaaargh. I hope the forum's attachment feature gets working soon...)

-mika

• 01-31-2009 3:36 PM In reply to

Hello ridax & tournedos,

seems both of you are correct somehow.

My ouverture manual shows the schematic tournedos attached above. Although the preface shows an Audio Aux socket with Pin 6 saying "Datalink" and Pin 7 "not used".

My BC 2300/2500 manual has Pin 6 marked as AAL and Pin 7 as DL.

Will have to find out myself as I'm fitting an original B&O RIAA PCB into my BG3300 that hasn't one. But I want to avoid an extra box with "bypassing" of the Datalink signal and requiring an external power supply.

HTH,

Gunther

• 02-03-2009 6:51 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

Ok, now tested and outcome was positive. ie. connecting BG 9500 direct to Ouverture, selecting A.AUX from Beo4 starts the deck to play. Stop pauses and 2nd stop will retract the arm. Go will start playing again. So, perfect so far.

Now just need to design a neat switch box and route link-line pass the pre-amp, and it's done.

Mika, you happen to know where is a good selection of aluminium boxes for the switch? My experience of electronic arts and crafts are a bit outdated. Connectors etc I find from partco.

Pekka

• 02-03-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

majand:

Mika, you happen to know where is a good selection of aluminium boxes for the switch? My experience of electronic arts and crafts are a bit outdated. Connectors etc I find from partco.

Glad it works Yes -  thumbs up Since you're from Helsinki, I would visit Bebek and see what they have in store... they often have stuff on sale that isn't on the website. Failing that, www.elfa.se has a good selection (they operate in Finland as well, even though the web site is .se) and YE might have suitable casings as well.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)