in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2009 2:12 AM by lausvi. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2009 9:52 PM

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 6500 sparking

Hi everyone,

Last weekend, my father and I purchased a second Beosystem 6500. While testing out the Beocord at the seller's home, I noticed that when I engaged fast forward or rewind with the loading drawer open, small sparks came from the capstans approximately every five seconds or so. I thought it might have been some sort of a short and figured that it would have to be serviced. Today while playing my original Beocord 6500, I happened to open the drawer and fast forward the tape. I then noticed that the same sparking was occuring! So, I closed the drawer and continued playing the tape. But when I touched the front panel, a popping sound came through the speakers. I touched the front panel several more times and the popping sound continued. After I paused the tape, I again put my finger on the front panel but the popping sound had ceased. I was surprised to have this happen! 

Has anyone else witnessed this occurence? What could be causing this?

Aaron 

• 01-26-2009 12:15 AM In reply to

Re: Beocord 6500 sparking

I have seen this before, caused by static electricity build up bij the moving tape in a dry atmosphere. I had a Revox reel-recorder wich did the same. Its the plastic tape moving and building up static electricity. At the point its is to high, it will unload against something metal. The popping sound you hear is the unloading. When you touch the metal you are the earth through wich the electricity disappairs. (sorry for my bad technical Englisch Wink

Greetings from Holland!

You do not own B&O, it owns you!

• 01-26-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the response!

I am relieved that its only static electricity. I thought it might be a static charge, and I am glad that you have confirmed this!

Thanks,

Aaron

• 01-27-2009 2:12 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

http://notebook.beocentral.com/

(read the Beocord 9000 part, about half way down the first page) - something similar?

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)