in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-25-2007 2:45 PM by Medogsfat. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2007 9:57 AM

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

CDX in an old setup

After fitting MCL in a couple of rooms in the house I'm able to mess around with some of the collection.

The CDX was with the BM2400 and BM2402 as a setup but the BM2400 has moved into my Son's room (he's well pleased) but the I don't trust him with the CDX yet so I have put that with the BM3000 (BM4400 is sick at the moment) BG4000 and M100's. The sound is fantatstic with loads of detail and strong bass, I think it will get a lot more use now! A great little playerCool

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=936

cheers,

Kevin 

• 05-23-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: CDX in an old setup

Nice one Kevin!

I use a CDX with my Beomaster 8000, Beogram 4002 and Beovox Pentas and I love it! A really warm sound that some here have likened to a vinyl deck, and some have blamed on distortion Laughing

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-23-2007 2:43 PM In reply to

• ZeTof
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Hello.

....and maybe you don't know that: but the laser diode of the CDX (and CDX2 & CD50) is (are) one of the most reliable laser diode of the world. Never used.

http://zetofzone.free.fr
  • 05-23-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My first B&O CD player! (used with my Beosystem 5000). My brother in Law had it from new and was eventually told it was unrepairable by a B&O dealer. He was going to keep it as furniture as he loved it dearly, I offered to have a look and he said if I could get it working I could keep it (but could never sell it) as he has recently bought a Bose Lifestyle system (I did tell him). Anyhoo - a quick 20 mins with a soldering iron and it came back to life! I compared it with a Sony CD player I was using through my system at the time and it was chalk and cheese. I didn't have the heart to keep it! I rang him (while it was blasting in the background so that he could hardly hear me) and told him he should come and take it home. He did - I had it a fortnight - but it persuaded me to go out and buy a CD50 immediately. He has retired it (keeping the Bose which I couldn't understand) but its still on display. He says he will never get rid of it. I would call him a Beophile but he's obviously not a diehard!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-23-2007 3:16 PM In reply to

ZeTof:

Hello.

....and maybe you don't know that: but the laser diode of the CDX (and CDX2 & CD50) is (are) one of the most reliable laser diode of the world. Never used.

The CDX and CD50 seem pretty bullet proof, but the CDX2 uses the CDM2 laser assembly and is nothing like as reliable. 

• 05-23-2007 9:03 PM In reply to

I bought a non-functioning CDX for 5 GBP from my local B&O dealer, as I had started collecting pieces purely for the design.  Got it home and thought I would give it a try - popped a CD in, and it didn't even spin it.  Ah well... I then started to clean it.  I opened the lid and started to clean the deck either side of the loading tray with a tissue - found a really thick layer of dust.  I had a brainwave and simply wiped the lens with the tissue, then reloaded the CD.  What a glorious surprise!  What sound quality!  And it's never given me any trouble since.

To me, this is the best-sounding B&O source component (alright, Philips source component in a B&O suit).  It sounds nicer than the CD in my BC9500 (although that could be influenced by the amp), and my BG CD 4500.  Although, I have to admit, I've not given a BG CD 7000 or similar a back-to-back test with it through a transparent amplifier.
    Lawrence
  • 05-24-2007 6:38 PM In reply to

• ZeTof
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    ZeTof:

Hello.

The CDX and CD50 seem pretty bullet proof, but the CDX2 uses the CDM2 laser assembly and is nothing like as reliable. 

Embarrassed

Yes, you're right, I've made a mistake !

Sorry.

http://zetofzone.free.fr
  • 05-25-2007 8:05 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Nice one Kevin!

I use a CDX with my Beomaster 8000, Beogram 4002 and Beovox Pentas and I love it!

Hi John,

out of curiosity, how do the Penta's cope with the BM8000 - pretty darned well I would imagine?

I've always regretted selling my CDX but had to do to help finance my BS7000, now that prices of these little gems has fallen to reasonable levels I may start looking for anotherSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-25-2007 9:10 AM In reply to

Hi Chris

The Pentavoxes cope really well with the BM 8000. For a laugh I tried to crank the 8000 up to 6 on the volume, when I was listening to 'Regulate' by Warren G (very bass-laden track), and my eyes started aching, teeth chattering, and ears popping at about 5.2ish. Mind you, my living room is only 12ft x 12ft, so I was pretty much on top of the whole set up. I might try it poking the remote round the door or something next time!

Overall though it's a great set up and always gets favourable remarks from friends who cannot believe that they are looking at and listening to assortment of 70s and 80s Hi Fi equipment that some people would probably give away for nothing!

You should get another CDX - they're great! I sold a duff one to Darren (Beomanic?) for parts and he mentioned that you liked them when he picked it up from me.

John

• 05-25-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Hi Chris

The Pentavoxes cope really well with the BM 8000. For a laugh I tried to crank the 8000 up to 6 on the volume, when I was listening to 'Regulate' by Warren G (very bass-laden track), and my eyes started aching, teeth chattering, and ears popping at about 5.2ish. Mind you, my living room is only 12ft x 12ft, so I was pretty much on top of the whole set up. I might try it poking the remote round the door or something next time!

Overall though it's a great set up and always gets favourable remarks from friends who cannot believe that they are looking at and listening to assortment of 70s and 80s Hi Fi equipment that some people would probably give away for nothing!

You should get another CDX - they're great! I sold a duff one to Darren (Beomanic?) for parts and he mentioned that you liked them when he picked it up from me.

John

LaughingLaughingLaughing

That's the thing about B&O - what other manufacturer can produce goods over decades which will integrate as brilliantly?

You're right - I'll have to get another CDXSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-25-2007 11:27 AM In reply to

You're spot on there Chris about the integration of products made in different decades. Here's a photo of my set-up (hopefully I have worked out how to post photos!). I love the way that none of these products were contemporaneous in the B&O product line, yet they look so fantastic together!

• 05-25-2007 1:01 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:

You're spot on there Chris about the integration of products made in different decades. Here's a photo of my set-up (hopefully I have worked out how to post photos!). I love the way that none of these products were contemporaneous in the B&O product line, yet they look so fantastic together!

I agree. That's a really nice combination you have. 
  • 05-25-2007 1:14 PM In reply to

Thanks Greg - it was a real mission to get everything together (particularly the BM 8000), and took about 6 months, but it's well worth it!

I have a B&O soldier (drummer) on the way from Steve, and that's going to guard my girlfriend's elephants on the top of the unit and my Beogram 4002 :)

John

• 05-25-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Looking good John Yes

Worth waiting for.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)