in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-17-2009 1:29 PM by PeterG. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2009 8:25 AM

Apple network / Time machine question

Please can anyone advise me:

My Daughter has a new Macbook and a Mac Mini which is a few years old now but does have Leopard installed and running on it.  She would like to use the Mac Mini almost all the time just for Time Machine on her Macbook.

Please can you tell me, in really simple terms how to network the Macbook to the Mini so that TimeMachine is directed to the Mini for backing up.

Also is it a simple process to access other files on the Mini from the Macbook.

Any help will be greatfully received

Peter G.

• 01-14-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

Re: Apple network / Time machine question

With or without wires?

p.

• 01-14-2009 12:46 PM In reply to

Phil,

I was hoping that it could be done without wires over a wireless network for both time machine and to access files on the Mac Mini.

Is this possible, if so can you tell me how in simple steps please,

Many thanks

Peter G 

• 01-14-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Are they already both connected wirelessly to your router?

• 01-14-2009 12:58 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

I have the same setup: Macbook, Mac mini and Time Capsule.

I have connected the Mac Mini to the Time Capsule through gigabyte ethernet cable (Cat 6). The mac mini doesn't work with 802.11n.

The macbook is connected through aiport and It works with 802.11n. Very fast!

I recommend to configure the time capsule creating a new network. You will have a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station.

Luis

• 01-14-2009 1:00 PM In reply to

yes but it is a BT hub not Airport so they are connected independently and not a three way network,  can I not just create a network between the two?
  • 01-14-2009 1:01 PM In reply to

Luigi:

I have the same setup: Macbook, Mac mini and Time Capsule.

From what I understand, they do not have a time capsule, but want to use the mac mini as a remote storage, used by time machine. 

• 01-14-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

Luigi

I am sorry, perhaps I have not explained my self clearly enough. I wish to use the hard drive on the Mac Mini as the back up drive for Time Machine on the Macbook.   There is no external drive attached.

Peter 

• 01-14-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

PeterG:
    yes but it is a BT hub not Airport so they are connected independently and not a three way network,  can I not just create a network between the two?

No, that should be fine, as they are both connected to the same wifi router. 

We are going to take it step by step.

On the mac mini, go to the system preferences, go to sharing, and tick "File Sharing".

On the MacBook, in the finder, open a new window. In the left bar, you should see a Shared section with the mac mini.

Do you see it? 

• 01-14-2009 1:09 PM In reply to

Phil

I am so sorry but my daughter is currently at college and has her macbook with her so I am not able to follow the steps as you post them,

Peter 

• 01-14-2009 1:19 PM In reply to

You can find a lot of info by googling "using time machine on a shared drive". 

• 01-14-2009 1:37 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

Unsure I'm sorry. I have read very quickly.

Luis

• 01-17-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

Hi Phil,

I don't suppose you are currently on line are you?

I have managed to see the shared file on both the mac mini and on the mac book but it will not allow me access as is says I do not have sufficient access privileges? 

Peter 

• 01-17-2009 1:29 PM In reply to

its ok, problem solved, I was trying to use the public folder and not the shared one, now it is working fine.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)