in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2009 1:19 AM by Mr10Percent. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2009 11:35 AM

BeoMedia 1 SPDIF output: does it work?

I was reading the last user guide for BeoMedia 1 SW3.0, and was surprised to see that the SPDIF output was designed to be used only with a BeoSystem 3...if that was the case, why do they fit so many digital inputs to my BV7 if I can't use anything from B&O themselves??Please can somebody tell me this is a joke, and that I can play digital audio files through my digital input ?[:'(]Or am I missing something? I also can't believe that you need a 16-pin masterlink connection to TV only for data control..why not using the control outputs from the STB-C? Smaller cable & no need to ask a technician to re-wire the whole Masterlink network at work..I hope BeoMaster 5 provides better connectivity..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-11-2009 6:12 AM In reply to

• Lorup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoMedia 1 SPDIF output: does it work?

I have a set up with BeoVision 7-40, beoMedia, BeoLab 5 and BeoSound 9000. The BeoLab 5 is wired up to the BeoVision with powerlink cables and to the BeoMedia with SPDIF cables. I then assumed that my speakers will use the digital signal, but no L The BeoMedia is a video product and then my BeoVision takes over control. The only way I can force my speakers to use the digital signal, is to configure my speakers to act as standalone speakers (like you will do if you use them in a non B&O setup).

But I assume you will be able to connect the BeoMedia to BeoVision with the SPDIF cable, instead of using analog audio cables. Then you just will have to tell your BeoVision to use A1 as audio input when you configure your PC input on the TV. I haven't tried it, all my digital cables is mounted in the wall.

I have ordered the new BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5 and I'm sorry to tell you that the connection between BeoVision and BeoMaster 5 is the same as BeoMedia, you will need DVI, Masterlink, and audio cables.

Regards
    Søren

BeoVision 7-40 MKII, BeoSound 5, BeoLab 5

• 01-16-2009 1:19 AM In reply to

Re: BeoMedia 1 SPDIF output: does it work?

I think the benefit of the SPDif is only really apparent when using the BL5 loudspeaker system. It may be technically superior to use SPDif in a wholly analogue system but how/where DAC occurs is beyond my knowledge. Also, the BV7 does not output digital sound but uses Powerlink system solely for that purpose. The BV7 can allow the input of four 2 or 5.1 digital sound and do something somehow with that signal. However, in context of this thread, that will result in the signal passing either back to either the Powerlink and/or the Masterlink board. Both of which are analogue pathways.

What I can state is that when using a BV7 as a Master in conjunction with BL5's, there is a configuration that does work to improve the sound quality significantly:-

BM1/BM5 Dig Out to 1st BL5 Dig In.

BS9000 Dig Out to 1st BL5 Dig In (Coax Y-piece needed if connecting 2 digital sources)

1st BL5 Dig Out to 2nd BL5 Dig In

2nd BL5 Dig Out to BV7 Dig In

i.e. the digital signal is as far as I am aware, activated when the audio source is directly placed into one BL5's digital input socket first and not in to the Video Master. You know this has happened as all the tone controls on the Audio/Video Master will become non-functional. Both the Masterlink and Powerlink systems will assist in terms of IR control and volume respectively.

It may be possible just to connect one audio source to one of the BL5's digital inputs, chain to the second BL5 and connect the second audio source to the 2nd BL5's output (disconnect the digital coax cable from the BV7) but I am not certain (read: have not tested) whether this configuration is uni or bi-directional.

The method above worked fantastically well with my BC2/BV7 and the BL5's. I will replace the BC2 with the BM5 and expect no need to change the configuration.

Hope that helps

10%

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)