in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2007 5:11 PM by Dillen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2007 4:59 PM

Voltage question

Hello all,

I live in the US and have been asked to help a relative sell an inherited BeoSystem 8000, including the BeoMaster 8000, BeoGram 8000, and BeoCord 8000, as well as a pair of M100 loudspeakers.  I have listed the item on eBay, but I have been asked about ways to convert the voltage to 220 for use in Europe.

Does anyone know how a prospective buyer would best be able to convert this system to European voltage?

Also, does anyone know or have  reference that will tell me the weight of the SC80 system cabinet?  I need this to figure out how I can ship it.  I found the component weights on this site but the cabinet weights are not listed.

Can the SC80 cabinet be taken apart to be completely flat?  the manual shows that the support stand can be removed but it does not show a picture of the cabinet disassembled so I don't know if it can be taken apart.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I don't know much about these systems!

thanks for any response!

• 05-22-2007 7:25 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Re: Voltage question

Some of the older B&O equipment have a switch to select the voltage.  The switch is usually on the underside of the unit or else on the back side of the unit.  It might be worthwhile having a look to confirm whether your system has such a feature.  Alternatively, a transformer might be considered as, for example, I am using a US system (110-120 volts) in an area that provides 220-240 volts.

I think the SC 80 can be taken apart but I will leave the definitive answer to another member with more experience than I.

• 05-29-2007 3:07 PM In reply to

Well, I have had a look at the circuit diagram of the Beomaster 8000 and there is no switch and no centre tapped transformer to change the voltage selection, so the short answer is any buyer from Europe would need to use a step down transformer.

Regards Keith....

• 05-29-2007 3:32 PM In reply to

Amongst the less useful bits I have in my house is the service manual for the SC80 !! I am afraid the main body is one piece and only extreme and possibly terminal violence is likely to render it otherwise, Lovely set up by the way! I have almost exactly the same system!
  • 05-29-2007 5:11 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

None of the 8000-system components have a voltage setting switch so suitable replacement transformers will have to be found.
    (I may have some in stock if you can't find any elsewhere).

The Beocord and Beogram are quite easy to convert in that the transformers are plug-in modules.
    The Beocord will work with a step-up transformer but the Beogram won't because of the mains frequency difference (50/60Hz).

The correct thing for the Beomaster 8000 would also be to convert it but it's not as easy as the others.
    It will run from a step-up transformer though it will have to be a quite powerful one.
    The BM8000 has two transformers, one huge center-mounted for the amplifiers and one smaller for the rest. Both will have to be replaced if converting and, with all due respect, replacing these is definitely a job for someone who knows about these things.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)