in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-13-2009 9:41 AM by Craig. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2009 8:20 AM

Pro's and Con's of the Beomaster 6000 Quad

I would like to hear what the 6000 quad lacks compared to BM 4000 and BM 4400.

Does is sound worse? How many on this forum has a working one?

How does it compare to BM6000 and BM8000 amplifier wise?

Any other pro's and con's?

• 01-09-2009 9:54 AM In reply to

Re: Pro's and Con's of the Beomaster 6000 Quad

Hi Friedmett

As you know, I have a BM 6000 and 8000. Both are in fully working condition and sound great.

I also bought a part-working 6000 Quad a few months ago. Only three of the channels were working, and the tone controls were broken. I did manage to hook the thing up to a source (CDX) and it sounded ok. It's currently with TIm Jarman for repair, and I hope to have it back shortly to compare with the 6000, 8000 and 5000 in my collection.

When I was talking to Tim last night, he pointed out that it's virtually impossible to find one in working order that hasn't recently been serviced, so you might as well buy a broken one and send for repair (to Martin perhaps?). I suppose one of the big cons is that repairs to this unit are not cheap because it is so complex. Mine will be approx £120ish to fix.

Pros are that in my opinion, this is the MOST desirable Beomaster of the lot. Virtually no one on this forum has one in working order that is used regualrly, so I'm really looking forward to joining an exclusive club :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-09-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

I've never seen the quad in person, but from a purely technical point of view it has AC coupled amplifier outputs. I don't believe it can approach the level of accuracy the later DC coupled amps have. In addition, I believe it was designed before anyone (except Matti Otala maybe) acknowledged the existence of TIM distortion? The document on the design of BM4400 specifically discusses that.

But from the receivers that have been mentioned in this thread, I find it the nicest to look at. Smile

-mika

• 01-09-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

Hi,

Agreed, it is a beauty, and when paired with the rest of the family the BG6000 (which looked the same as the BG4000) and the BC5000 it made a stunning and very modern looking system...  

Laurence. 

• 01-09-2009 1:49 PM In reply to

I have had all off these and the 6000 is very beautiful! However it is essentially two beefed up Beomaster 901s in electrical design and is fair packed into the case. It has a perspex top instead of glass which is prone to scratching, the keys tend to bend upwards and become shiny, the transistors blow with disturbing regularity - some of this is due to shorting because of the interior design - and the sound is nothing like as good as the BM1500/2200/4400 series. Actually the cheaper 3400 sounds better as well.

So my advice is to keep one as a display model but get a better Beomaster for stereo listening. If you want quad, the 3400 is better but you would hanker after a 6000. Lee has mine now! 

• 01-30-2009 7:12 PM In reply to

• RUDYV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2008
    • Belgium
    • Posts 52
    • Gold Member

Hi Friedmett,

I have a working  6000 quad, white edition, with four S45-2 speakers and I'm using it regulary. Compared to the 3400 quad, the 3400 sounds better. 

As Peter already pointed out, the keys tend to bend upwards and become shiny and the perspex top is sensitive to scratching. The same goes for the matching beocord 5000. The transistors tend to blow and the remote control loves batteries.

Nevertheless I'm very happy with it.

Honestly, the 6000 looks very beautiful, especially the white one.

Rudy

• 01-30-2009 7:26 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well I have had two BM6000 Quads, and neither was in full working condition. One was the one that John now has and Tim is in the process of fixing. The other is all packed up ready for it's new owner in Switzerland. That one had a fault with the lights. As alrady pointed out, there is not a lot of space in there. One reason I gave up on trying to fix the problem. Even the bulbs were a difficult to replace.LaughingLaughing It is a beautiful looking piece of kit though, if I had the space I probably would have the full set up. Thats if I could find a working Beocord 5000.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-12-2009 6:05 PM In reply to

Hi Craig,

I know what you mean with those little lights and bulbs, as I'm the new swiss owner you mention hereby!! Nice to meet you here too! At the early beginning, I could not find new lights for the newly arrived BM in the family, with an appropriate voltage and size, and it was indeed pretty difficult to access and pull out the lights' basements out of thiri shells, and at the end, it did not work. But a second try and a little tricky fixation permitted to fix the problem. But after that the FM button didn't activate the radio tuner at the first try. Second try, 30 seconds later, it did work, and seems now to work perfectly, with all lights activated! Like a town in night!

The other problem I meet now is to connect my beogram 4004 or my 3400 4CH to this wonderful beast! The sound is very weakwhen one or the other is conected with the 6000, but they work perfectly with my BM3000....

Anyway, I take the opportunity given to me to warmly thank you for your very kind help, patience and advices during the bought. Very glad to join the club here on beoworld, where it's my first post and finding immediately old friends, if I dare say!

Best regards and read you soon.

• 03-12-2009 6:33 PM In reply to

To connect a 2 channel record deck to the 6000, you connect it to the Aux 2CH socket. You need to make sure the RIAA is on - there is a two position switch underneath for this. It is clearly labelled and just in front of the socket. The 4004 and the 3400 do not have a built in CD4 decoder unless it is an optional extra fitted. This is obvious on the 4004 as it has a switch on the right side - having said that, I am not sure the 4004 ever was so fitted as it is really designed for use with the BM2400. The 3400 does not have a RIAA unless you have a red LED on the top panel. We did have one of these but it was never fitted to my 3400.

• 03-12-2009 6:37 PM In reply to

Hello Urbangentleman

I have the other 6000 Quad that Craig once had. I picked it up from repair last weekend, and I have to say that I'm really impressed with it. I'm sure once you have yours fixed up that you will be equally impressed!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 03-13-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

urbangentleman:

Hi Craig,

I know what you mean with those little lights and bulbs, as I'm the new swiss owner you mention hereby!! Nice to meet you here too! At the early beginning, I could not find new lights for the newly arrived BM in the family, with an appropriate voltage and size, and it was indeed pretty difficult to access and pull out the lights' basements out of thiri shells, and at the end, it did not work. But a second try and a little tricky fixation permitted to fix the problem. But after that the FM button didn't activate the radio tuner at the first try. Second try, 30 seconds later, it did work, and seems now to work perfectly, with all lights activated! Like a town in night!

The other problem I meet now is to connect my beogram 4004 or my 3400 4CH to this wonderful beast! The sound is very weakwhen one or the other is conected with the 6000, but they work perfectly with my BM3000....

Anyway, I take the opportunity given to me to warmly thank you for your very kind help, patience and advices during the bought. Very glad to join the club here on beoworld, where it's my first post and finding immediately old friends, if I dare say!

Best regards and read you soon.

Welcome to Beoworld, glad to hear you got the lights working.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)