in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-23-2007 10:39 AM by Peter. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2007 10:33 AM

Attenuating speaker level signal

I'm familiar with the small lines and boxes they use in car stereo to convert some speaker level to line level.

My question is, is there a B&O part number that converts the speaker level to a line level??

Thanks, Keith

• 05-23-2007 3:34 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Attenuating speaker level signal

I was told of a lead that dropped speaker level to line level when I was investigating using my Beomaster 5000 with active speakers, I believe the part number was 6270795. It would be best to ask your dealer.

On the other hand this isn't ideal as it will have been through the whole power amplification system for no reason and the power amp stage will be running without its normal load - what other outputs does your system have??

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-23-2007 6:21 AM In reply to

Surely the Beomasters 5000,5500 etc have a pair of 'line out' sockets? I certainly use by BM 5000 with a apir of AVI monoblocks this way.

The earlier BeoMaster 6000 was different, though: when I tried the same trick with that, I found that the 'pre-out' came before the volume control!

• 05-23-2007 7:09 AM In reply to

He has an AV7000 which has a powered centre speaker channel.
  • 05-23-2007 7:20 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

kimberley:

Surely the Beomasters 5000,5500 etc have a pair of 'line out' sockets? I certainly use by BM 5000 with a apir of AVI monoblocks this way.

The earlier BeoMaster 6000 was different, though: when I tried the same trick with that, I found that the 'pre-out' came before the volume control!

Correct - although I was recommended this lead by my Dealer, when I checked the Amp Schematics the 5000 has a genuine pair of line outs whereas the line outs on the 5500 are actually attenuated speaker outs i.e. simliar issues with length/quality of signal path

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-23-2007 9:34 AM In reply to

Thanks guys a ton...i'll check that part number. Just so you know i'm not crazy, here's the problem i'm trying to solve.

With a home theatre system, it appears that most systems have the front 3 channels at the same power (clean watts). So i've got the 2 pentas up front and the subs are big and very powerful. This leaves the AV7000 at only 45 watts up front. So, i'm wanting to bring this down to line level, run it into another very clean amp at about 120-150 RMS and then into a reference type center speaker.

Basically, i'm just trying to balance everything and give enough voice out of the center so i can hear the dialogue.
    Thanks again, keith

• 05-23-2007 10:39 AM In reply to

I really do not think you need to do this! The centre speaker is for speech and I doubt you will regularly use more than 1W! A CX100 on its side will be perfect and nice and cheap.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)