in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-03-2009 3:45 PM by Chris Ouellette. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2008 1:14 PM

Right/Left colors Beogram 1800

I have a Beogram 1800 with the grey and black RCA jacks. It's been a while since I connected it and I don't remember which color is right and which is left. Help, please!
  • 12-30-2008 1:19 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Right/Left colors Beogram 1800

Easy enough to find out. Just turn the balance fully to either left or right on your amp, if you turn it fully left and the sound more or less disappears then you know they are the wrong way. You won't do any harm if you connect them the wrong way round.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-02-2009 5:34 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Welcome to Beoworld !  Yes -  thumbs up

Beogram 1800 has 5-pin DIN standard if I remember correctly. However, if your Beogram has grey and black RCA's, I'm sure the grey one is left and black is right. Some moulded type plugs has "L" and "R" moulded in.

Martin

• 03-13-2009 4:01 AM In reply to

My owner's manual says L for left and R for right, yet my grey and black RCA plugs only say "JAPAN" on them - no L or R.  The schematic on page 1-2 of my service manual shows a DIN connector, not RCAs.  I never figured out which was left or right and never bought a test record to help figure it out either.  So I'll now assume the grey is left.  Thanks, Dillen!

Cheers, chrx

Filed under: ,
  • 03-13-2009 2:48 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Chris,

That way you can tell if the speakers are the right way around.
    It won't tell you which RCA lead from the turntable is which.  Laughing

Martin

• 03-13-2009 7:07 PM In reply to

Ha! That's right!

Actually, should the right channel be on the listener's right when listening, facing the source, or is it a reference from the location of the source, which would put the "right" channel on the listener's left?  I'd like to find a difinitive reference for THAT!  I'd finally figure out where to put my speakers!  Oh, wait, maybe if I just plug my headphones in???

Here is what I picked as a reference record:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360132102978

Gotta love Enoch Light...

Cheers, chrx

Filed under:
  • 03-14-2009 3:03 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Facing the source....

• 04-02-2009 5:53 PM In reply to

Thanks chrx,

I think I'll invest in a decent test LP - I have previously used "Girl you know it's true" by Milli Vanilli - the intro starts on the left channel and then echos to the right, so I know which wire is which by listening Laughing

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 04-03-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

I actually used to have that same Milli Vanilli record.  It got filtered out of the collection when I came to one of those "storage space" crossroads, way back when.  I got the "Checkout" record, which I mentioned above, and it is a great look back at how "high fidelity" enthusiasts got a grasp on how good their setup was.  The narration is classic and it is a delight to listen to.  It even came with a stroboscopic disc for checking speed accuracy for 16, 33, 45 and 78 rpm, to be used with a basic fluorescent light, as well as a graphical chart for recording the frequency responses of your system, using a sound level meter.  The record is in great shape and I'd recommend this ebay seller any day, as well.

By the way, I also confirmed that the gray connector is the left and the black is right.

Cheers, Chrx

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)