in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-30-2008 1:57 PM by kneedowndean. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2008 3:30 AM

BeoSystem 5500 - Dug out from storage and in need of repair.

Well first of all congratulations to all of you on this wonderful site. I awoke yesterday with a memory of a wonderful audio system my dad had when I was younger, so went straight to my moms house and found it in the loft. It is a wonderful BeoSystem 5500, which I hope to use in my new home.

I have discovered a couple of problems though. The controller volume control no longer works, and the CD carriage does not open. I am based in Birmingham UK, can anyone suggest a dealer or engineer that might be able to restore this system to its former glory? I am currently browsing your site learning as much as I can about this system!

Thanks in advance, Steve

Filed under: ,
  • 12-30-2008 4:47 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSystem 6500 - Dug out from storage and in need of repair.

Have the CD transit locks been inserted?

Turn the CD player upside down and you may see two red plastic twist locks. Remove them completely and try the CD carriage.

Regards Graham

• 12-30-2008 8:21 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: BeoSystem 5500 - Dug out from storage and in need of repair.

Hi Steve & welcome to BeoworldSmile

When you say the controller volume doesn't work do you mean this is a problem with the remote or the volume control on the system itself?

If you mean it is a problem on the remote itself this should be fairly simple to fix depending on which remote you have. It should be either a MCP5500 or a Beolink 1000,

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-30-2008 9:43 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Hi Steve, nice to see another Brummie on Beoworld. Wink If you want I would be more than happy to pop round and take a look at your sytem to help you get it going.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-30-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies everyone. Well, I have had a look for those carriage bolts but could not see them. The door does not open at all, and I cannot hear a motor.

The control unit is a MCP 5500, the rotary volume control does not work at all. I suspect its an issue with the controller because if I rotate it it does not 'light' up the MCP display or show "NO CONTACT".

Thanks for the offer Craig, I'll PM you.

• 12-30-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just replied to your PM.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-30-2008 12:55 PM In reply to

kneedowndean:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Well, I have had a look for those carriage bolts but could not see them. The door does not open at all, and I cannot hear a motor.

If you hold the CD player so that the front is facing the floor, the drawer should fall out. If not then it is jammed somehow.

Regards Graham

• 12-30-2008 12:58 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Sorry - I misread your OP and thought it was 6500 system you had.

The MCP5500 is identical to the 6500 though and is likely to have a fault with the microswitch under the volume control wheel (possibly just dirty/oxidised). I would advise you buying a Beolink 1000 in any case for daily use as the MCP isn't really very portable and tends to eat batteries like there is no tomorrow.

Nice system BTW, I have one and the beomaster has one of the better B&O amps.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-30-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

kneedowndean:

The control unit is a MCP 5500, the rotary volume control does not work at all. I suspect its an issue with the controller because if I rotate it it does not 'light' up the MCP display or show "NO CONTACT".

You might be in luck then - that means that possibly just the switch contacts in the rotary control are dirty or oxidized. If the MCP starts up when you rotate it, but the setting doesn't move, the problem will be a little more involved. For day-to-day use you'd probably want to get at least a Beolink 1000 sooner or later anyway - the MCP is great for programming the FM presets and timers (and as a discussion piece), but it's clumsy and eats batteries fast if you use it regularly.

Does the CD player light up when  you select "CD" on the MCP? If not, the problem might be as simple as a blown fuse. It could be possible that the cord that moves the tray has snapped, but I'd expect you to hear the motor anyway (it's very silent though). If Craig comes over, he can probably take a peek inside as well, it's very easy to remove the lid on these units and then you can see the mechanism.

Welcome on my behalf as well - I have a full 6500 system which is essentially the same as yours. What a great attic find! Smile

-mika

• 12-30-2008 1:14 PM In reply to

mika/Chris - Good, I should think that it must be the rotary switch is dirty/oxidised then because there is no response at all from the MCP when the volume is moved. After reading your post I had a peek inside the MCP, but it looked way too complicated for me so I put it back together.

I will get Craig to take a look and update the forum. I'll also keep a look out for the Beolink 1000 as well, but the MCP just looks so good!

Graham - I have tried the hlding the CD face down and the door did not open, so it must be jammed somehow. Fingers crossed it can be fixed.

Thanks again all - dont you just love the internet? In the space of less than 12 hours I have had help from all over the World and basically solved the problems! Big Smile

• 12-30-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Does the CD player show any signs of life when connected to mains? Is there the little red STAND BY dot lit? 

I had once a Beogram CD 5500 which seemed to be completely dead - no power light, nothing. The cause was two cracked solder points in the main board, I think it was on the power supply -part, the rectifier diodes perhaps.... After a bit of soldering the thing came back to life and it had no other problems! Nice player indeed.

If the drawer doesn't come out there must be something jammed inside. The drawer should slide out if you turn the face down. The drawer is belt-driven but it should slide out even if cut. If you are sure there are no transport lock screws (on the bottom, bright red plastic things) then there must be something trickier going on inside....

I just love the internet! Almost in every problem I have there is some forum related to the topic and usually some expert who can describe any trouble in few lines. (Just to spoof: I am from Finland :)

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 12-30-2008 1:57 PM In reply to

Yes there is power, and when you press the open button the display lights up but door does not open. A gentle pull of the door and it still wont budge so I think I had best leave it untill it can be taken apart.

Update to follow!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)