in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-28-2008 4:47 PM by stefan. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2008 2:43 PM

BeoSound 5 or BeoCenter 6?

I've been planning to get a BeoSound 5 and BeoMaster 5, though not for lossless audio through my BeoLab 5s - I can just as easily play the original vinyl or CDs through those. Instead, the reason I wanted BS5/BM5 was for music in bed through a link room TV (would save me getting up when it's cold to load the BeoSound 9000 in the sitting room) and for music upstairs in my observatory (where I planned to install the BeoSound 5 and a pair of BeoLab 4s).

However, I've been giving this idea some thought, and reckon I may have found a better way forward.

My dealer informs me that the BeoMaster 5 will be approximately £1400 and the BeoSound 5 around £2400. That's a lot of money for a small LCD screen that merely displays cover flows, and can't show any kind of video. In fact, for not much more money, I could put a BeoCenter 6 upstairs and have access to TV, DVD and Sky+ recordings there as well - using the simpler onscreen menu to navigate on the BeoMaster 5 (as in the link rooms).

However, a few questions:

1 Smaller is better in the observatory, since I want the TVs wall mounted low down and angled upwards (so as not to spoil the panoramic views from my 13 windows there), and since I'll only be sitting about four feet from the TV due to space constraints. Is there a significant difference in price between the BeoCenter 6-23 and the BeoCenter 6-26?

2 B&O claim that the 26" version has considerably more powerful loudspeakers than the 23". Is this the case?

3 Do either or both versions have good enough stereo speakers to listen to music upstairs? In other words, would I still need to buy a pair of BeoLab 4s for the observatory?

4 Is the BeoVision 8-26 another option? How does this compare to the BeoCenter 6 as a small link room TV/BeoMaster 5 interface/stereo speaker?

5 Is there anything the BeoSound 5 does that I've missed? Or am I right that it's nothing more than a fancy controller for the BeoMaster 5, merely offering a prettier interface than a link TV?

6 Do I in fact need BeoMaster 5 at all? Or would BeoPort do the trick, with the music stored on my Mac Book Pro?  Since I won't be storing my electronic music losslessly (probably at 320k), would there be any noticeable difference in sound quality? I'm presuming the computer would need to be with me and switched on when I use BeoPort?

Thanks for all answers and opinions! 

• 12-28-2008 3:23 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Re: BeoSound 5 or BeoCenter 6?

politician:
    1 Smaller is better in the observatory, since I want the TVs wall mounted low down and angled upwards (so as not to spoil the panoramic views from my 13 windows there), and since I'll only be sitting about four feet from the TV due to space constraints. Is there a significant difference in price between the BeoCenter 6-23 and the BeoCenter 6-26?

Oh errrrr no idea but if space is an issue try a 23"

politician:
    2 B&O claim that the 26" version has considerably more powerful loudspeakers than the 23". Is this the case?

I had a 23" BV6 never had any problems with it and only 4ft away am sure it'd be loud enough dependant on the room size.

politician:
    3 Do either or both versions have good enough stereo speakers to listen to music upstairs? In other words, would I still need to buy a pair of BeoLab 4s for the observatory??

My BV6 23" was fine for music, if at a later date you decide you need speakers you can add them.

politician:
    4 Is the BeoVision 8-26 another option? How does this compare to the BeoCenter 6 as a small link room TV/BeoMaster 5 interface/stereo speaker?

I'm guessing it'd be cheaper, I'd go to a dealer to "roadtest" the two sets and listen to the sound, see which you prefer.

politician:
    5 Is there anything the BeoSound 5 does that I've missed? Or am I right that it's nothing more than a fancy controller for the BeoMaster 5, merely offering a prettier interface than a link TV?

6 Do I in fact need BeoMaster 5 at all? Or would BeoPort do the trick, with the music stored on my Mac Book Pro?  Since I won't be storing my electronic music losslessly (probably at 320k), would there be any noticeable difference in sound quality? I'm presuming the computer would need to be with me and switched on when I use BeoPort?

Errr I think you may need an Audio system to act as a Master for the Beoport - again I maybe wrong on that. Unless the BC6 can act as that?! Unsure

I'd still prefer to go for a Link room TV as you said it'll end up being of mroe use to your system and you can watch TV/Satelite on it, something a BS won't do. Then again I'd wait a while until the BS5 is properly out in case there are any bugs that need ironing out! Big Smile

• 12-28-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• amunk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-19-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

The Beocenter 6 cannot act as an Audio Master for a Beoport. I was told that it was possible before I bought my Beocenter 6 but had to get an Beosound 3000 as a Master afterward. Sad

• 12-28-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I would go for a used BV6-22/BC6-23 and a Beomedia 1 or Beoport. Prices of BV6/BC6 and BM1 are falling, and you can buy BL3s or 4000s if you need more powerful speakers. I have a BV6-22 and a BC6-26, so I can confirm, the speakers of the 6-26 are much better. It`s a 2way system and sounds really great. But in your case the 26" screen would be too big. Your BS9000 can act as audiomaster for BM1 or Beoport.

And yes, using Beoport means your mac must be connected and switched on. 

My music is converted to AAC 256 or 320k and playes by Beomedia1. The compression is not noticeable. Maybe if you listen a lot to classical music or jazz you should go for lossless. But for Pop, Rock, Fusion AAC  is fine.

For me Bv8-26 would be no option, because 1- 26" screen is too big and 2- I don`t like it....... 

Stefan 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)