in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-02-2009 9:04 AM by Alex. 127 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (128 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2008 3:46 PM In reply to

Re: Have B&O gone mad with their prices?

TripEnglish:

I really like this delicious looking sandwich I found on Google's image search. Haven't seen it in person, but I think it would cost around 4 or 5 dollars.

Sandwich

Wow, Trip. You know how to insult. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-29-2008 4:21 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

bayerische:
    TripEnglish:

I really like this delicious looking sandwich I found on Google's image search. Haven't seen it in person, but I think it would cost around 4 or 5 dollars.

Bayerische - the picture you posted is different enough to be attractive, and from what I understand the models are one of the thinnest on the market and have many of the features drooled over by some (pointless listing any, they will all be shot down as irrelevant, no doubt).

Sad to say there is no aluminium in the frame which will put some off, nor are the corners of the white frame rounded which will affect other detractors.

I'm not sure you can have Sony come to your house and upload corrections updates and it doesn't appear to be expensive enought for the "it's only expensive if you can't afford it" brigade. It'll also have zero worth in 5 years time (by which time you can buy a 3D or OLED TV to replace it).

In all seriousness the only real omission, if you are to integrate it in a B&O setup, is Masterlink and Powerlink.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-29-2008 4:29 PM In reply to

Puncher:

In all seriousness the only real omission, if you are to integrate it in a B&O setup, is Masterlink and Powerlink.

...and the remote control, unless you have a Beo5 (and want to use it) or shell out more dough for some other solution...

-mika

• 12-29-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

tournedos:

Puncher:

...and the remote control, unless you have a Beo5 (and want to use it) or shell out more dough for some other solution...

True enough, although it does use an RF remote which can also utilise features over it's network connection.

My point being that if it floats Bayerische's boat then that's great - his view shouldn't be dismissed - he isn't in the "can't" category, he has Lab5's and a BS9000, his view is perfectly valid!

• 12-29-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Its called Harvard debate material...
  • 12-29-2008 4:53 PM In reply to

DoubleU:
    bayerische:

Yeah, I forgot about that... 

I'm not shopping for a TV currently, I just mentioned it as a really good looking TV, at least for its price. It's really nice, specially with the "brownish" trim around it, looks like a picture frame, I know it's plastic, but so is the price of it. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-29-2008 4:58 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Just to qualify the debate slighty - how many folk would spend more money on audio equipement than video??

Do you value audio quality higher than TV picture quality?

Would you spend more on a TV than CD/Speakers or the other way round?

My own personal view - I would cherish Lab5's more than a BV7/speaker/stand.

• 12-29-2008 5:20 PM In reply to

bayerische:
    DoubleU:
    bayerische:

Yeah, I forgot about that... 

I'm not shopping for a TV currently, I just mentioned it as a really good looking TV, at least for its price. It's really nice, specially with the "brownish" trim around it, looks like a picture frame, I know it's plastic, but so is the price of it. 

I must say I totally agree with you .... TV looks great from design point of view ( I know what I'm talking about, cos I'm in to design business)

You can say that you don't like it, but professionally I think that design of this tv is more than good !

So you can't compare it to the "sandwich" it looks little bit insulting I must admit.

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 12-29-2008 5:21 PM In reply to

Puncher,

I must admit I don't care much about my TV's. I want flat screens, they should look somewhat good, but other than that I'm not too interested in the details. As to HD, I don't think I need it, my cable TV operator only got a handful of channels in HD, I seldom watch movies.

A surround setup of Beo is not what I'm after.

I thinking of getting an old Beovision5 if I find one in good condition. I'm willing to pay a premium for the design and look of it, knowing I'm paying only for the chassis since the innards are not nearly worth the asking prices. It's good looking and for the price of a used one, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I don't see myself getting a HD TV, BR-player, but things might change.

I have the Lab5's and absolutely love them. I'm happy to spend a bunch of money on sound reproduction. It's what makes my boat float. 

-Andreas

• 12-29-2008 5:34 PM In reply to

Had any of you actually gone to Harvard you would realize what a crucial role sandwich pictures played.

Seriously, though. 

The Sony is fine but we wind up in the same pickle we always wind up in. You say that the Sony looks good? Well guess what, I agree. The issue, however, is not what the frame looks like or even what the image on the screen looks like. Looking good and performing well should be that absolute minimum standard to sell a product! Remarking that something meets this standard hardly warrants real estate on on a forum devoted to enthusiasts of another brand.

That's sort of where the sandwich picture came in. Randomly posting a picture of a not-ugly television by another manufacturer is nearly a non-sequitur, even on a thread about how we're going mad with our abusive pricing strategy.

To see my complaints about brands like Sony, please go to:

www.everythingthativeeversaidonthisboard.com

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-29-2008 5:36 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

bayerische:

Puncher,

I must admit I don't care much about my TV's. I want flat screens, they should look somewhat good, but other than that I'm not too interested in the details. As to HD, I don't think I need it, my cable TV operator only got a handful of channels in HD, I seldom watch movies.

A surround setup of Beo is not what I'm after.

I thinking of getting an old Beovision5 if I find one in good condition. I'm willing to pay a premium for the design and look of it, knowing I'm paying only for the chassis since the innards are not nearly worth the asking prices. It's good looking and for the price of a used one, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I don't see myself getting a HD TV, BR-player, but things might change.

I have the Lab5's and absolutely love them. I'm happy to spend a bunch of money on sound reproduction. It's what makes my boat float. 

And that's the point! - I'm glad that you like what you like, I'm glad that you (like others) prefer the BV5. It's not up to me to be critical of your tastes (although I do agree I'm not fortunate enough to join you in your selections). What I do find hard to take is folk being dismissive of other peoples opinions. Facts are facts and we can trade them back and forth if we choose but choices are personal and they aren't for others to ridicule.

• 12-29-2008 5:36 PM In reply to

Hmm I am sorry but reading the way Trip flippantly disregards opinions, and only admits being a bullish wannabe has left me feeling a little outa place, call it fragile or any self degrading thing but it truely made me lose any interest or desire to exist in beoworld, not a regular poster but a regular reader i am sorry trip but a list of points which i took along time to check and research in direct answer to yours, you fail to read as they do not magnify the sun that shines on your view of B&O, now that i only have a 9000 and lab 6000s left I feel I should leave this forum. Reading your posts makes me realise what is wrong with B&O with you its reminiscant of the last days of the Raj and I am growing to really loathe reading the antiquated viewpoint of a comic book convention level captain Kirk wannabe.

I am sure the forum admins will delete this, even though there is no swearies and it would be a little disctatorshipesque but for all the others many thanks it had been fun, I am proud of my purchase and had the money to buy a BV7 twice over when I went to purchase but chose what I chose.

Have fun

BS

• 12-29-2008 5:55 PM In reply to

i wouldn't let him run you off the site , although i do agree his pro bno rhetoric is faintly embarrassing in the face of superior affordable and compatible opposition

he IS a dealer after all , so who expects him to be in the 'real world' ?

my fave cpt kirk moment was this ;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6r_tKnE

which says it all aboot the current state of bno and it's dealers.. 

popgear is grate™

• 12-29-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

Trip I don't know why you forcing Harvard so much....

Seams to me that all of us who was not finished Harvard don't understand ....

I'm talking about design concept reciprocal correlation between design elements, use of materials and colors. Let's neglect that tv is Sony, and put Apple logo on it! Somebody will have a different look of it, this is prejudice of the brand...

Or take of B&O and put Sony ?

I'm a B&O fan for my whole life and if I will have money I will buy it, buy it, buy it .....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 12-29-2008 6:08 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

That's sort of where the sandwich picture came in. Randomly posting a picture of a not-ugly television by another manufacturer is nearly a non-sequitur, even on a thread about how we're going mad with our abusive pricing strategy.

Trip, I didn't post a random image, I posted a picture of a TV that is damn fine looking to me. I first saw it in a magazine months ago, then saw it on a large poster in the entrance to the building where my B&O supplier is (they are neighbors with a Sony center) it still touched a button or two in my senses. Today, being dragged along to shop with my wife I saw it live, and liked it even more. The picture is great, the design is awesome. I'm pretty sure I won't get one, since I already said what's on my mind. But it sure is pretty. It don't have to be metal to be pretty. Just look at the plastic Lab5's Smile

-Andreas

• 12-29-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

BS, I don't disregard you oppinion, I disagree with it. A minor distinction perhaps, but an important one. 

If you're easily offended, believe me that forums are not the place to spend your time. I feel like an oppressed minority most of the time just for liking a company I work for and I'm still here. You need a robust sense of humor and a willingness to extend the benefit of the doubt, as it's difficult to assess intent and tone, especially with the many non-native english speakers who post here.

If I really offended you in some way, it was certainly not my intent. I thoroughly enjoy the debate (especially the down and dirty Harvard style!) and don't want anyone to feel that my posts go any further than the sort of argument that college friends would have over a few pints.

Stay for the good fight. I even said I admired Loewe!  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-29-2008 6:16 PM In reply to

Well Trip, I for one never insulted you. Nor have I ever tried to make you a minority on this site.

But you did show some character  in that sandwich post.

Your loss, I'm afraid. 

-Andreas

• 12-29-2008 6:20 PM In reply to

Didn't realize I struck such a nerve with the Harvard thing! 

sorry

• 12-29-2008 6:23 PM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I agree that Trip's post are becoming pretty boring - especially when it comes to people's opinions rather than facts.

Since I'm on this thread I might as well say my piece! Being new to the brand I come with a less fanatical opinion of the situation, and put simply, B&O are overpriced for what they offer. I don't have a problem with their prices but I do when they refuse to keep up the pace. I'm not interested in spec just for the sake of it but they are fundamentally flawed in terms of technology - pure and simple. 

I mean, how can they claim to have a multi-room video solution (masterlink + RF) yet it doesn't support HD?? Its just plain stupid and I personally feel they're trying to take us for fools. I was in my local dealer the other day and even he felt embarrassed to admit the BV7-32 still doesn't have HDMI!

Please B&O - we are fans and we have the money to spend.....just give us something to buy that truly is a cut above the rest! 

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 12-29-2008 6:23 PM In reply to

No bayerische, when you can't exercise a sense of humor on an online forum, it is your loss. 

I have apologized to offended parties. I see no need to discuss it further.  

• 12-29-2008 6:29 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

k984942:

I agree that Trip's post are becoming pretty boring

No necessarily boring - there are too many of them. It's become a Trip board. Trip, you don't need to reply to every post :)

You would have thought you were busy with your store....? What does that tell us?

• 12-29-2008 6:30 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

No bayerische, when you can't exercise a sense of humor on an online forum, it is your loss. 

Right, Trip, but your "humor" is always on the expense of someone else's integrity.

I'm not going to turn this into a pie throwing thread, and I will leave it at this. Humor is one thing, and insults another. Blaming your insults on humor is probably that Harvard stuff... 

-Andreas

• 12-29-2008 6:35 PM In reply to

Well Trip sometimes I like to read your posts and I think they are very interesting but in some cases some people can get insult and I think this is first time somebody say to you.

You didnt ofended me by the Harvard thing, and I think it's very human to say sorry!

You said that and I'm appreciated. 

• 12-29-2008 6:37 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

I have found Bayerische's sense of humour to be perfectly normal, though not abusive nor personal.

• 12-29-2008 6:43 PM In reply to

To get this thread back to the original question I shall ignore the technical specifics concerning TVs and simply observe that B&O haven't gone mad over prices for the simple reason that they need to sell at these prices for the business model to hold together.  Lowering prices will pitch B&O into more direct competition with the volume manufacturers and it would be a battle  B&O could only lose. Maybe they need to do more to justify the price tag (we have been around that loop several times and I am not going there again) but they have no alternative but to sell at these prices.

Simon

Page 4 of 6 (128 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >