in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-31-2009 7:56 PM by burantek. 57 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-25-2008 5:25 PM

Gift [G] Beocentral Book Review

Here is a review of Bang & Olufsen by Tim and Nick Jarman . The book is currently out of stock at Amazon but no doubt will be available soon. It really is a superb read and you will not have seen any of the pictures before.

Book Review

Bang & Olufsen

Tim and Nick Jarman

This is the long awaited companion volume to the excellent Beocentral web site and has a lot to live up to as the site has long been regarded as the most respected reference site regarding the modern era of the Danish company.
    The fact that it exceeds one’s expectations is testament to the care lavished on this publication by both its contributors.

The book is divided into 7 sections, the first being a merry skip through the early years of the company from the 1920s up to 1964 where the modern era started. This chapter is more of a scene setting exercise as apart from some late transistor radios, this period is much more comprehensively covered in B&O’s own Spark to Icon publication.

However 1964 brings the reader to the era so well covered by Beocentral and the depth of description and superb photography rapidly draws one in. The chapter picks the important models and offers a well-written narrative describing the item technically and also from a market point of view. Very detailed photographs are presented to aid the reader and these photographs are ones not seen before and not available on the Internet. The quality needs to be seen to be believed and makes you wish the volume could be longer so that even more could be fitted in. The prose tends to concentrate on the positive attributes of the products but is not frightened of offering useful criticism of use to a collector. A good range of products is featured with both the audio and television ranges being featured. As a collector myself, I would have liked some of the rare products shown such as the Beogram 3000 Thorens but they are mentioned and are possibly a little esoteric and would take up space better used for the more available products one is likely to find.

The next chapter concentrates on the 1970s – an era both the authors clearly favour with a plethora of fantastic pictures and product descriptions. The technical details are brought to the fore but never become unreadable and indeed cajole one into wanting to know more. A fascinating series of pictures demonstrates the unusual construction of the Beomaster 2200 and the accompanying narrative explains the thinking behind the layout.

Cassette recorders are another area where the Jarman brothers excel in knowledge and a detailed description of the first forays into this field and the opportunity to show a non B&O product clearly enthuses the author.  He is however still honest with his opinions and the complexity of B&O’s own cassette mechanism is not immune from criticism. Alongside all pictured products is provided a score for Availability and Complexity, the Beocord 5000 scoring a maximum 5 blobs for the latter.
    I am not completely sure I agree with Tim about the merits of the revised cassette mechanism in the Beocenter 4000 as I would still not trust my best recordings to this machine!
    The chapter concludes with a description of the television range with a detailed run through the development of the range.

Onto the 80s and a treat awaits the casual browser with the first five pages dedicated to the Beolab 8000 system. You will want one after this! Onwards and a detailed critique of B&O first foray into the video cassette era follows the introduction of the IR TV remote. We then come to a dark passage in B&O’s history with the Japanese systems being introduced. Despite the author’s distaste for the range, a collection of excellent pictures accompanies the text. However the following description of the Beomaster 2000 and 3000 systems clearly is more to the taste of both brothers and the style and quality of these offerings shines through on every page.
    This is the longest chapter and the development of Datalink and the stacking systems via the excellent Beocenter 7000 range is well told. Television and VCR development is not ignored and the chapter finishes with a flourish with the entry, eventually, of B&O into the CD market. Unusual pictures of the CD50 and CD5500 maintain the technical detail but again written in a most accessible manner.

The 1990s chapter is notable for superb pictures again of a large part of the B&O range though the political machinations behind the simplifying of the range are largely ignored. None the less, the impression that the author is becoming a little disenchanted with some of the economic decisions made in developing the range is inescapable climaxing in the concern that modern service manuals with proper circuit diagrams became a thing of the past with the passing of the 20th century.

This is the end of the romp through the history of B&O and chapter six deals with the practicalities of collecting and helpful tips to aid selection of products and places to find them. Care tips are included and complement those found on the Beocentral site.
    The final chapter deals with matching products to make a full system and which systems will work properly with each other. This brings together a lot of information and is an invaluable resource to the beginner starting a collection as well as acting as an aide memoir for the more experienced.

In summary, this book is an essential volume for a collector and an enjoyable read for any armchair admirer. The text is always fun and never over formal. There is no romantic eulogising of the products with good and bad points noted though clearly this is written by an enthusiast dedicated to the brand. The crowning glory will always be the quality of the photographs, which are the best that I have seen.

Buy this book – you will certainly enjoy reading it and you will aspire to finding examples as good as those shown here.

• 12-26-2008 4:31 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beocentral Book Review

I LOVE the beocentral website. Especially for it's straight forwardness. I've got to get my hands on this book

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-26-2008 8:39 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Nice, honest review Peter. My appetite has been well and truly whetted. Hope my book comes soon!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-27-2008 6:07 AM In reply to

The book is very good. I got it for Christmas from my mother. Where she got it from, I dont know! I wasnt expecting it as I thought there were delays.
  • 12-27-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Peter now that is what I call a review, I am very impressed. Sounds like a first class book.
    Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 12-27-2008 7:45 PM In reply to

i love the beocentral site..but they still haven't put any information regarding the beosound 4. just some very nice pics!
  • 12-28-2008 4:05 AM In reply to

The reviews on Beocentral are usually written once Tim has either owned or repaired a product. As stated in the book, modern equipment is now repaired by replacing modules as opposed to component repair so less finds its way to Tim. I have written a couple of the articles but have not owned a BS4! It will come !
  • 12-29-2008 7:08 AM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your review, it really convinced me to quickly get a copy (they ran out fast, that'll teach me for procrastinating!), ordered mine yesterday.

Hopefully the reprint will be soon, can't wait!

Thanks,

Laurence. 

• 12-29-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

I don't think they need a reprint - Amazon just didn't order enough! You can get one quickly through the publisher but I would wait for Amazon as they are a lot cheaper. Click on the link via Beocentral and Tim & Nick get a few pennies more from Amazon!
  • 12-29-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Thats good news, so the wait shouldn't be too long ...

Oh and I think I did go to amazon from beocentral as I recall ...

Laurence. 

• 12-30-2008 6:47 AM In reply to

Peter :
    I don't think they need a reprint - Amazon just didn't order enough! You can get one quickly through the publisher but I would wait for Amazon as they are a lot cheaper. Click on the link via Beocentral and Tim & Nick get a few pennies more from Amazon!

Plus they can spell!

This book introduces the world of Bang & Olufsen, from their futuristic audo and hi-fi systems to their elegant television sets and attractive portable models, which have captivated enthusiasts for the best part of four decades. The small Danish company has striven to design items that have stood the test of time, being both technologically innovative and stylish. As a result, their products are amongst those rare things where both form and function come together to create something truly magnificent to behold and to listen to.

Within the pages of this book, Tim and Nick Jarman take the collector through every model produced by B&O up to the year 2000, as well as providing comprehensive appendices listing which model is compatible with which and giving tips on restoration. Throughout the book you will find specially produced original colour photographs of preserved B&O audio and television equipment, complete with detail views so that you can see every important control and styling feature and really get to know each model. An invaluable book, whether you are looking for just one special model or are assembling a large collection.
    http://www.crowoodpress.co.uk/2007/forthcoming_details.asp?ISBN=978+1+84797+068+8

• 12-30-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

timhanna:

Peter :

Plus they can spell!

This book introduces the world of Bang & Olufsen, from their futuristic audo and hi-fi systems to their elegant television sets and attractive portable models, which have captivated enthusiasts for the best part of four decades. The small Danish company has striven to design items that have stood the test of time, being both technologically innovative and stylish. As a result, their products are amongst those rare things where both form and function come together to create something truly magnificent to behold and to listen to.

Within the pages of this book, Tim and Nick Jarman take the collector through every model produced by B&O up to the year 2000, as well as providing comprehensive appendices listing which model is compatible with which and giving tips on restoration. Throughout the book you will find specially produced original colour photographs of preserved B&O audio and television equipment, complete with detail views so that you can see every important control and styling feature and really get to know each model. An invaluable book, whether you are looking for just one special model or are assembling a large collection.
    http://www.crowoodpress.co.uk/2007/forthcoming_details.asp?ISBN=978+1+84797+068+8

Tesco has it listed at the same price as Amazon.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-30-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Whoops! - please delete.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-30-2008 7:26 PM In reply to

• TEL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Berks U K
    • Posts 92
    • Founder

I ordered a copy from Tesco yesterday and they say publication date 29 Jan 2009, will just have to wait.

(I did order a copy 10 days ago and had message from Tesco saying publication date 19 Jan 2009, but due to different mailing address I had to cancel that order and submit a new one)

I'm sure the wait will be worthwhileSmile

TEL
  • 01-01-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I knew it wouldn't be long before it appeared HERE

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-01-2009 2:44 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I've ordered 30 signed by the authors copies to be sold here on BeoWorld if anyone wants to wait for them!

As soon as i have them, they will be listed in the Gifts section, and they are on priority order.  BeoWorld will make a small profit on each book, which will obviously help the site!

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 01-03-2009 2:09 PM In reply to

If all goes will, Lee should have stock before Amazon does. So if you order from BeoWorld, not only do you get a signed copy, but you should get it before anyone else does.

If anyone is interested in seeing what the book looks like, we have set up a website (www.collectingbangandolufsen.com) which contains some high-quality pictures, and a few extracts from Peter's kind review Embarrassed

• 01-03-2009 7:20 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Wow! How good does that look? Photo's look stunning..Can't wait!

Cheers

Nigel

• 01-04-2009 4:00 AM In reply to

I am sure it would be valuable if anyone getting the book does a short review on Amazon as well. By all means add to the one on here but Amazon will reach a wide audience.
  • 01-07-2009 9:00 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Since I won this book in the December price draw 'bonus question'; I will be happy to give my feedback on the book after I have received it!

Bieele

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 01-13-2009 4:44 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

9 LEE:

I've ordered 30 signed by the authors copies to be sold here on BeoWorld if anyone wants to wait for them!

As soon as i have them, they will be listed in the Gifts section, and they are on priority order.  BeoWorld will make a small profit on each book, which will obviously help the site!

Lee

Smile 

When will these signed books be available Lee? I'm holding on for one of those!

Gustavo

• 01-13-2009 5:07 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I have them in front of me! 

They will be onsite by this evening Smile

Lee

• 01-13-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Now in the gift shop ready for order and immediate despatch !!!!!

Lee

Yes -  thumbs up 

• 01-13-2009 3:29 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:

Now in the gift shop ready for order and immediate despatch !!!!!

Yeah! I am so glad I happened to be on the computer just now. And I got one! Hmm, it wasn't sold out during these first 14 minutes... :)

I already ordered two from Amazon but as they are delayed this was a true gift! Now I have one signed to keep and two unsigned to give my B&O-collecting-friends!

Thanks for getting these available, Lee!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-13-2009 3:37 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Done!

Oh, and I also took the chance to pay for the mouse mat, toasters and t-shirt I got from Lee in Struer!

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >