in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-05-2010 4:29 PM by valve1. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2008 9:55 AM

B&O to abandon Scotland...?

Hi,   any truth in the rumour that B&O are to pull out of Scotland?  I've heard from a good source that two of the 5 outlets are to close on xmas eve. If so what does this mean for the UK?
  • 12-20-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: B&O to abandon Scotland...?

I'd be surprised. I used to live in Edinburgh and there's a lot of disposable income around there. The Scottish government is based there, financial capital of Scotland etc etc. Maybe some of the smaller units may close, but I doubt Edinburgh and Glasgow, surely?

Why would B&O need a store in, say, the small town of Yarm (no-one ever is ever in the store!), yet not in the capital city of Scotland?

• 12-20-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

B&O will not beat any hasty retreats from any part of the UK !!  If a store closes, it's because it's not viable and cannot now or would not be able to in future survive the economic downturn.  If B&O of The Outer Hebrides could turn over £2m a year, i doubt B&O would care very much where the Outer Hebrides were!!

I don't think it's a Scottish thing, and as moxxey rightly points out, there's plenty of money up there if you look around..

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-20-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:

I'd be surprised. I used to live in Edinburgh and there's a lot of disposable income around there. The Scottish government is based there, financial capital of Scotland etc etc. Maybe some of the smaller units may close, but I doubt Edinburgh and Glasgow, surely?

Why would B&O need a store in, say, the small town of Yarm (no-one ever is ever in the store!), yet not in the capital city of Scotland?

But the same franchise was also in Durham - (a really expensive place to live) - they shut the Durham shop!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-23-2008 12:08 PM In reply to

How many outlets are there in the UK now ?  And is that up or down on last year ?
  • 12-23-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

It was a shame that the Durham shop closed but then I suppose they assumed that if you could afford a BeooVision, you could afford the petrol or a train ticket to get to Newcastle, which only 15-20 minutes or so away.  Still, I did buy a few things when I was a student at Durham and I probably became hooked on B&O largely because I was given such great service, even though they knew I was never going to be spending as much as others.
  • 12-24-2008 10:32 AM In reply to

If this rumour is true, and from what I have seen I suspect it may be so, then it is likely to be the smaller town outlets that close rather than the ones in the large cities like Glasgow or Edinburgh.
  • 12-24-2008 11:30 AM In reply to

Didn't stop them closing down Brighton either.....hardly a lack of disposable income there...
  • 12-24-2008 1:42 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

Frankly I would be surprised if Scotland were to become B&O'less.

There is still plenty of money "up north" and by that I mean real up north not yorkshire which we all know is "down South".

The store in Aberdeen, for example, has lots of oil exec's to service and will do so for the next 20-30 years and the exec's get paid no matter what the price of oil.

The Durham store closing was because, I believe, the dealership was trying to push their higher spending customers towards the new flagship store in Newcastle. They looked at selling only pre-owned, a la Lifestyle AV, from the Durham store but I believe that was frowned upon from B&O uk.

• 12-29-2008 6:23 AM In reply to

We went down to perth today to shop (slightly more cosmoploiton than inverness......slightly!) and the store was closed :-(, am currently emailing from my laptop in a coffee shop (THAT is how up to date and techie Beoworld is, news to your doorstep faster than Sly News)  much to my disappointment and the window had no stock at all in it, so either a long holiday or Perth is one of the ones going, or gone.

BS

• 12-29-2008 8:39 AM In reply to

I did think Stirling looked a bit empty last week. Possibly both Stirling & Perth have closed, I do hope not. Common ownership afaik. 

If these dealers have closed, what happens to customer care/support for their existing client base? Do B&O UK take care of this or is it left to other dealers? 

• 12-29-2008 1:59 PM In reply to

the boss of my branch in west london is leaving , things MUST be bad

:( 

popgear is grate™

• 12-29-2008 4:24 PM In reply to

I think in 2009 a lot more B&O shops will close - most are franchise, and the not so good, and the poorly located will disappear as natural wastage...
  • 12-29-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

but that was the Knightsbridge flagship store that the last ceo opened

then again , he prob contributed a lot to bno's current state 

popgear is grate™

• 12-30-2008 12:03 PM In reply to

Yup,  both Perth and Stirling closed. Not sure how this will affect the local customers as the next outlet is Glasgow...
  • 12-30-2008 12:32 PM In reply to

I wonder whether any sales that could have been made by these stores will now go to either Glasgow or Edinburgh or just be lost to the brand. It is a sad day when a dealer gives up.
  • 12-30-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

i think dealer has given -up  i asked for prices was some give away bs3000 (small clamper) £300,beolab speaker ex-display  for less than pre-owned  prices,shame i think he took over b&o dealership from w m coupar in 2005!! 
  • 12-30-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

ed7:
    i think dealer has given -up  i asked for prices was some give away bs3000 (small clamper) £300,beolab speaker ex-display  for less than pre-owned  prices,shame i think he took over b&o dealership from wm cupar in 2005!! 

which store was that? 

• 12-30-2008 1:09 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

perth
  • 12-30-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

I can't believe this - I was speaking to Andy from Stirling just a few weeks back, and heard no hint of the store closing....

If this is true I'd like to wish the teams at both stores the best of luck with their next positions, whatever they may be. Yes -  thumbs up

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 12-30-2008 6:53 PM In reply to

I suppose if you are a franchise and things are not going well you have no option but to call it a day. I suppose if the store was a wholly owned B&O store things might be different. I wonder whether this is a weakness of the franchise model?

• 10-30-2009 10:32 AM In reply to

From what I am aware, the Edinburgh dealership isn't in a good state at the moment anyway.  I purchased from there just over a year back but the attitude of the sales guy seems to be very greedy.  I expect his boss has him on a target that he is struggling to meet.

I heard that the guys from the north of England are doing some of the business in Scotland that the Edinburgh shop is driving away.

• 10-30-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Or southmolton street- there is no shortage of money in Mayfai!

• 11-01-2009 1:42 AM In reply to

• Jammy61
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2009
    • NSW Australia
    • Posts 20
    • Gold Member

Please let this not be so.  The only  way my other half will visit our birth place next year, is if he can visit the B&O stores in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

• 11-01-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

It seems to me that the franchise model with stores dedicated to B&O will lead to closures in harder times.   Inevitably the ones closing will be those serving the smaller markets.

In the last economic downturn, a number of independent retailers were still selling B&O alongside other product ranges.  Often these stores had experienced sales staff who had worked with B&O for years and could provide a ranges of services - not just sales.  As a result many in the 'lesser' locations survived only to be converted into full blown franchise type stores in recent times and struggle this time around.

If B&O was my business, I'd be keen to maintain a wide customer base and not lose the small sales.  I'd be keen to keep as many people as possible buying my product, even if was just a pair of headphones or a replacement stylus for a old turntable.  So I wonder if B&O is missing a trick here.

I believe they should allow/encourage these independents back, perhaps with some marketing support to create an instore B&O boutique  selling a limited range of products (possibly like Apple who have got stands in PCWorld these days running alongside their dedicated network).  Besides normal sales the independent stores could offer repairs, servicing and installation (which the newer franchises struggle with), and in return could channel 'high end' leads to the larger stores.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >