in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2007 11:25 PM by cozza. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2007 12:21 PM

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Install TV above fire

Not for me but a friend asked

Can you install a TV above a fire.

A) I'm sure the heat would be a problem
    B) I'm also sure that drilling into the chimney could be dangerous, (carbon monoxide escaping)
    C) Also it would be difficult to hide the cables.
  • 05-21-2007 12:33 PM In reply to

Re: Install TV above fire

Well, I think I would agree with all your points.

Also would the TV also be to high up, if I look at my fire place, if I had a TV above it I could not look straight at it.

Suggest you provide the feedback you stated

Regards Keith....

• 05-21-2007 12:41 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Good point. These days people are prepared to fix a plasma/lcd to a wall even if it means watching it at 90 degrees & looking up at it. I've seen some bizare positions.
  • 05-21-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Tell him/her it might be better to go for a projector and a screen. That would solve the problem of drilling into the chimbley as well.
    Not from me, but a friend.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-21-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

jandyt:

Not from me, but a friend.

Big Smile 

• 05-21-2007 3:45 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

britops:
    Not for me but a friend asked

Can you install a TV above a fire.

A) I'm sure the heat would be a problem
    B) I'm also sure that drilling into the chimney could be dangerous, (carbon monoxide escaping)
    C) Also it would be difficult to hide the cables.

Do I remember well if I think that we already had this tread on the old forum?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-21-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

• helto1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

There are a few things to consider when thinking about mounting a tv above a fire place.  First is what others have mentioned.  It is an odd height and angle to view a television.  If you are sitting far enough away, it may not matter.  But if you are relatively close, this could pose a big problem and your enjoyment would be greatly decreased.  As far as the installation is concerned, hiding the cables in newer construction isn't too difficult, as most fireplaces have an empty space, usually 1 to 3 inches away from the flue.  As long as you're drilling into that empty space, hiding the cables won't be a problem.  Support for the mount can be done to a stud behind the mantle area.

Hope this helps some.  Fire places aren't the ideal place, but when done right, can look nice.

• 05-21-2007 7:30 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Depends on the height of your fire place.

I can think of two examples, one my local pub - where it's all fine and dandy seeing as you're either standing up (well dependant on amount to booze consumed hehehehe) Beer  and that's ok to view.

The other one I can think of is 2 doors down in my street and to say it looks mightly uncomfortable is an understatement. Fire place mounting (pardon the phrase) of a TV is all well and good when it's turned off and you're walking about but you'd not want to watch it for any length of time before getting extreme neck ache Stick out tongue

Construction wise I guess you might have to put a false cover round the fireplace to enable proper mounting and hiding of all the cables.

• 05-21-2007 11:25 PM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

I'm certain that this installation would void the warranty on a flat screen. Mostly from the heat, but also particulate contamination. Plasmas normally run stinking hot in the first place and most have fans in them to stop them overheating, and LCDs are very intolerant of being heated and cooled by external sources.

Mounting above a fireplace is a clear contradiction of the placement guidelines for flat panel displays. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)