in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2009 11:18 AM by Stuart. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2008 4:32 AM

Intermittent fault on Beocom 2400 handset

Hi all, 

I'm no techie, but I'm willing to have a fiddle with my old Beocom 2400 handset to get it working properly. I think its got a loose connection around where the lead enters the handset. The first problem I have is how to "break" the two sections (grey and black) without damaging the handset. If not, anyone got an old handset they don't want?!! Apologies for posting such a dim/boring question. Any help gratefully received.

Steve

• 12-12-2008 6:37 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Intermittent fault on Beocom 2400 handset

Steve,

Welcome to Beoworld !  Yes -  thumbs up

I never repaired any of these but I believe that the cable has a plug, accessible under the lid where the cable enters. Have you tried with a different cable ?

You could also try switching ends on the cable so that the end that was in the handset now connects to the table stand and vice versa to see if the problems lies with the cable or the handset.

Martin

• 12-13-2008 9:31 AM In reply to

Hi Martin (all),

thanks for the reply and its nice to part of Beoworld.

The handset I have has a small lid (that I've managed to remove) about 40mm x 15mm and the cable enters through a small hole in the plastic back, which then enters the electronics inside behind what appears to be an aluminium crossbrace. The problem is, to be able to see what is causing the intermittent fault, it looks like I've got to seperate the black back from the grey front. I think I know what you mean about the plug on the end of the cable (like on the handset of the Beocom 600), but its not the case on this handset (I assume its original).

I'm an engineer (Civil Enginner) so I've got a bit of an idea about things, but I still can't see how to split the handset. Again, any help gratefully received.

Steve

• 12-13-2008 10:42 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Steve. I have no experience with this model, but I assume it will be held together in a similar way to a Beocom 6000 handset.
    To open these without damage, I have cut an old credit card into 4 or 5 strips and by inserting these in stategic positions, can release all clips simultaneously.
    Please don't sue me if you wreck your 2400 because it's glued together!

Welcome to BeoworldSmile

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-15-2008 7:25 AM In reply to

Hi Andy,

nice one. I can feel a day of "fun and games" over the Christmas period ahead.

Cheers, 

Steve

• 02-25-2009 10:47 PM In reply to

showard:
     [...] I think its got a loose connection around where the lead enters the handset. The first problem I have is how to "break" the two sections (grey and black) without damaging the handset. 

I recently purchased for a song an old and decrepit Beocom 2400 to scavenge its 0073 A/V volume control module and attach it to our good 'ole blue BC2400.

The fault on the old one is that the cable that attaches the handset has an intermittent fault very near the handset, much like you describe.  I am loath to throw a B&O phone away, when I could gift it in working condition to someone such as my brother.  I see three options:

1.  Replacing  the wire myself —or even just shortening it two inches—, which I think I could do if the handset —or the little rectangle?— can be pried open.

2.  Send it for repair to B&O —which dealer basically dismissed via phone a couple of days ago, as he indicated the cost might approach that which we paid for our BC2400 over 10 years ago.  In addition, he pushed hard to sell me a Beocom 2 and give me a $50 credit for the BC2400. No - thumbs down

3.  Send it for repair to a place such as Barclay Enterprises that repaired our BeoTalk 1200 a couple of years ago.

4.  Does B&O sell the handset only?  When a BC1401 is, say $100, B&O should be able to sell the BC2500/BC2400 handset for $75, uh?

Any thoughts?

• 03-10-2009 9:51 PM In reply to

So I spoke with a better informed person at the B&O dealer.  He called me back to advise me that the factory would charge $200 for a new handset.

Interesting, as a whole new BeoCom 1401 is a mere $100.  And the handset in the 1401 contains the entire telephone.

Boy I still hate the idea of throwing B&O stuff away but it is looking likely at this point...

• 04-18-2009 7:03 PM In reply to

It looks like the handset can be repaired.

Instructions  here

• 04-18-2009 8:17 PM In reply to

XavierItzmann:

So I spoke with a better informed person at the B&O dealer.  He called me back to advise me that the factory would charge $200 for a new handset.

Wow, at these prices I should offer a repair service! I've done 3 or 4 of these in total...

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 08-12-2009 12:39 PM In reply to

• Stuart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Hi I also had  a problem with the wires breaking on the handset of my Beocom 2400 , and I could not find out anything on the Internet .

But I managed to fix it without to much difficulty !

So I thought I would join this forum to try and help people in the same situation out !

Anyway to split the handset you will need a plastic card , like a credit card , store card etc) as in picture . DO NOT USE anything made of metal !!!

You will need to start at the bottom of the handset where the microphone is ,on the right hand side looking at the front of the handset .Insert the card,only a little way about 10 mm, then  draw the up where the seam is , once it has started to separate you will find it will become easier as you work you way round .

Once you have separated the two halves you then need to peal the outer casing off the cable find the break cut it out and solder the wires back together ,I used heat shrink to cover the bare wires as in picture .

When you have done this it is just a case of sticking the two halves back together , Don't use  instant glue!! use a glue which will give you time to position the two parts as it is not that easy , then clamp the two parts together with cable ties , as in picture .

Clean off any glue ,leave for glue to set remove cable ties , job done .

I hope this has been of help to someone!

Regards Stuart  .  dorsetpicture.co.uk .

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2460/3814339247_8767c2aa31_s.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/3814339347_83180a9499_s.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/3814339477_9577cf01d2_s.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2447/3814339721_72d7e68176_s.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3814339799_b30d7d805a_s.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/3815149182_c31a69fc0c_s.jpg

I take no responsibility if you bugger it up ....

Filed under:
  • 08-12-2009 4:54 PM In reply to

I also have a problem with my Beocom 2400 handset. But in the opposite direction Smile. It`s actually going too loud ! Even with the volume set on minimum level , I have to speak with the handset at about 10 centimeters from the ear !!!

This occured after I`ve replaced the batteries (rechargeable ones) a few months ago.

• 08-12-2009 9:24 PM In reply to

Stuart,

Welcome for the forum and many thanks for the pictures.  I found that your pictures are better seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41378658@N02/

I'll post on this forum when I do the same repair myself.

• 08-13-2009 11:18 AM In reply to

• Stuart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

XavierItzmann:

Stuart,

Welcome for the forum and many thanks for the pictures.  I found that your pictures are better seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41378658@N02/

I'll post on this forum when I do the same repair myself.

Thank You !

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)