in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-08-2008 6:00 PM by linder. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2008 9:17 AM

OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) technology and B&O

What do you think, will Bang&Olufsen produce TV's with OLED technology? This would make design even more hard to justifie.
  • 12-08-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Re: OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) technology and B&O

hi,

produce, no. sell, yes. they will certainly wait until the technology matures before integrating it. don't hold your breath...

scott

• 12-08-2008 10:17 AM In reply to

It's a bit premature to discuss B&O's potential use of OLED when it's essentially still vapor-ware. It's not only immature, but still being born.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-08-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

i think they should go back to crt , at least they could justify their prices then

popgear is grate™

• 12-08-2008 1:17 PM In reply to

Interesting thought! I only recently bought shares in an Italian based company who are working on the development of OLED displays in portable electronic devices and integration of OLED displays in the speedo and dashboard of vehicles.

The technology is far too young for B&O to have even thought about OLED. However saying that, the current day OLED displays would be a huge improvement in my opinion over the current displays used for BS3200, BS4, BC2 etc. 

• 12-08-2008 2:25 PM In reply to

At present OLED is concurrently being developed for many uses including TVs  This includes OLED lighting by by GE and Osram.  In addition many companies are making small OLED displays for phones and control panel uses.  Samsung recently showed a 32 inch flat panel display that will go into production.  It will be a few years before B&O will even start to think about OLEDs. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-08-2008 2:41 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

OLED-Displays are nothing new as e.g. KODAK showed OLED-equipped compactcameras on CEBIT a few years(!) ago (I think it was 2002 or so) and you can buy an OLED-TV from Sony in the US: 17" for a B&O price :-)

Their are many products out there using OLED. The main problem is its durability. Have a look at the SonyEricsson Bluetooth watches:
    The mini infodisplay (OLED) is brigth with superb contrast and color! But how long will I have fun with my watch? 3-5 years or less?

If you have ever seen an OLED in real life you will be surprised in a positive way: You have to re-adjust your eyes :-)

Coloraccuray, contrast, viewing-angle etc. are absolutely great, no, fantastic!

The displays on Beosound 3000, 3200 are a piece of crap as they're unreadable if you don't stand directly in front of your device.

If the OLED-technology is "stable enough" and proofed, I think B&O will sell and integrate it, too.

• 12-08-2008 3:56 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Yes -  thumbs upin fifty years time no problem

• 12-08-2008 5:36 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm sure they're keeping their eye on it as a technology, but at the moment it's far too immature. Most larger displays have a lifetime of around a year at the moment...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-08-2008 6:00 PM In reply to

Alex:

I'm sure they're keeping their eye on it as a technology, but at the moment it's far too immature. Most larger displays have a lifetime of around a year at the moment...

I agree but it is coming.

http://www.oled-display.net/samsung-to-demonstrate-a-50-inch-oled-tv-at-the-ces-2009 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)