in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-12-2008 11:28 AM by Toby. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2008 2:07 AM

• seabul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Masterlink Cable Wiring

During a remodel, I wired our house with ML cable.  I have a BeoSound 9000 and Beolab 2000 in a separate room that I want to connect. 

I am having difficulty arranging for a B&O installer to come and add plugs and junction boxes to all my cable. So, being cheap and impatient,  I cut the ML cable that came with the Beolab 2000 such that I would have two plugs, each with a little bit of cable. 

Next, using self crimping connectors that I got from Home Depot, I connected each length of ML cable, i.e. pink to pink, blue to blue, blue/white to blue/white, etc.  I ohm checked the cable before finally connecting each end to the newly severed plugs.

Well, sadly, when connected with my new ML cable, my Beolab 2000 does not communicate with my BS9000

So, does anyone know if connecting ML cables together is a matter of simply connecting the matching colored wires, or, is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

Seabul

• 12-06-2008 2:40 AM In reply to

Re: Masterlink Cable Wiring

Seabul,

A Warm welcome to Beoworld and your first posting..

Assuming you did connect colour to colour correctly and all the connections are really good including the screen of each screen section of the cable, then the fault may be elsewhere.

You say you checked the connections with a meter, did you also check that no signal wire was shorted to any screen wire ?

If you know for sure that both units are fully working with the correct options etc, then only the cable has changed, then I think you need to re-look at the connections again.

Regards Keith....

• 12-07-2008 3:25 PM In reply to

• seabul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Hi Keith,

Seeing as the wiring doesn't need to be crossed, e.g. data-  to data+,  then it makes sense that I messed up the wiring somewhere.  You mentioned that the screen of each section of cable needs to be connected - should I connect all ground wires together, i.e. six connected together when joining two ML cables?

Thanks

Seabul 

Filed under:
  • 12-07-2008 6:11 PM In reply to

Hi seabul, you have a PM in your inbox.
  • 12-12-2008 12:17 AM In reply to

• seabul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I finally got some time to check the wiring.  I cut most of the connections I had made and re-connected what I considered marginal. 

Sadly, no luck with the Beolab 2000.   Here's what's going on now.  With the ML cable disconnected from the BL 2000, pressing the play button changes the mode from standby (red indicator light) to on (green indicator light).   When I connect the ML cable, and the press the play button, the "ON" light turns green for about 3-4 sec, then turns red again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Seabul

Filed under: ,
  • 12-12-2008 11:28 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Sadly I can't be of much help, but I extended my Masterlink cables using the the litle £5 B&O joining box, and it literally was cut the cables in half and feed into the box colour to colour and hey presto it works. I can not see what you could have done different.
    Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)