in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-07-2008 4:37 PM by timhanna. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2008 6:09 AM

PS3 and Beo5 Compatibility

Hi,

Finally, I think im going to get a PS3, mostly to use for music and photos but with the added benefit of BlueRay and B&O's integration to it STB Control?

I've got the STB listed for it on my BV7-40 and Ive got the template for the PS3 on the Beo5. I just wanted to ask if I will loose any functionality by using the Beo5 and opposed to the sony controllers for browsing stuff and listening to music/photos.

Even though its not going to happen, but can the beo5 be used to play games? hehe, the reason I ask is that i want to see how far the control we have is? Regarding those Bluetooth remote controls that you can get with the PS3, does the Beo5 template have all its functionality?

In my mind, Ive got a great plan for the Beo5 and PS3. Even want to do things like access albums directly, by using macros, opening the video section of the PS3 just by pressing a custom made button, i.e. VIDEO on the beo5 etc etc

Thanks!

• 12-05-2008 6:44 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Re: PS3 and Beo5 Compatibility

timhanna:

Hi,

Finally, I think im going to get a PS3, mostly to use for music and photos but with the added benefit of BlueRay and B&O's integration to it STB Control?

I've got the STB listed for it on my BV7-40 and Ive got the template for the PS3 on the Beo5. I just wanted to ask if I will loose any functionality by using the Beo5 and opposed to the sony controllers for browsing stuff and listening to music/photos.

Even though its not going to happen, but can the beo5 be used to play games? hehe, the reason I ask is that i want to see how far the control we have is? Regarding those Bluetooth remote controls that you can get with the PS3, does the Beo5 template have all its functionality?

In my mind, Ive got a great plan for the Beo5 and PS3. Even want to do things like access albums directly, by using macros, opening the video section of the PS3 just by pressing a custom made button, i.e. VIDEO on the beo5 etc etc

Thanks!

What the STB controller uses, is the Nyko remote IR codes, and that is also what is available as 3rd party XML. I have actually tried playing Grand Tourismo 5 Prologue with the Beo5 :) Not the best controller, but i actually did work.

The Nyko Remote, can control all the things the original Blu-Ray remote can control, maybe 90% at least, i cannot remember which functions where not available. So you can program all the macros you would like with the Beo5 :) Just have in mind, that if you create a button that says "VIDEO" and this is a macro that does 2-3 actions, then these actions will be effectuated again when you go back on the Beo5, and then presses "VIDEO" again to get the Beo5 in video control mode.

I have the same issue with my Vista MediaCenter, so i have to manually go into the videos menu via the MCE menu, and then change the Beo5 to "videos" mode, to get my videobuttons. I had a macro created, that lanched MCE videos when the buttons was pressed, but if i then wen't back, and later on pressed videos again, then MCE would lanch the menu again, even though a movie was playing.

But the essense is : YES, you can do it :) 

/Weebyx

• 12-05-2008 6:57 AM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

Hello,

The Nyko controller misses the PS button and the On/Off function. Since the last firmware updates, on "Turn system off" function is implemented in the PS3 control bar, (extreme left/top item of the XMB) so only the On function is unavailable using Beo5. 

This is not a problem for me, as I use my PS3 to get full HD contents, which are not available in link rooms (I have a Tvix for this use). So I turn the PS3 on manually, then use the Beo5.

In my setup, everything works perfectly. The PS3 is also attached to my home network (using Ethernet) and I can enjoy the contents stored both in the PS3 and in my Synology NAS.

A macro to get the "videos" or 'pictures" might be a bit tricky to program (I would use a serial of "left" keys to go the the beginning of XMB then a number of "right" and "down" keys to go where needed), but I think it's possible.

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 12-05-2008 7:22 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

At the moment, the nyko xml (from Beoworld Download) hasn't available full functions like: L1, L2,... Select,... I have just created a new xml. I hope it works. I will test it. If it's fine I will upload to Beoworld.

I think it's very insteresting to create buttons-macro for: turn off de PS3, change the video configuration (I have a HD-projector and BV3), audio setup, video, music,....

Luis

• 12-05-2008 8:18 AM In reply to

Thanks for everyone's response.

So, could people advise me what is the best IR-Bluetooth adapter for it?

Can someone advise if the PS3's remote control's functions are mapped on the beoworld XML?

• 12-05-2008 11:00 AM In reply to

PlayTV is such a cool thing! If they release an HD (MPEG 4, currently its MPEG2 so we can still watch HD, but not the new channels) then we will not need to update the existing DVB-S/T with the DVB-T HD on our BV7.

Apparently the T HD card will mean that we loose the satilitle control module, plus we have to pay hundreds of pounds to buy and install the new card.

Therefore, my masterplan is simply to buy this PS3 and wait until the FreeTV HD (MPEG4) version is released and now my (future to be) PS3 will act as:

1. Game Console
    2. Media Centre
    3. Blue Ray Player
    4. Web Browser
    5. HD TUNER!!!
    6. TV Recorder (HDR2 equiv)

All under the control of the Beo5.

It all makes sense now!

• 12-05-2008 11:48 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

Finally I have tested my new Nyko xml and it works perfectly. It has all Nyko buttons. I will upload to Beoworld.

Luis

• 12-05-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

The following XML files were uploaded to the Beo5 Download section recently by Luis and are available for other members to download from HERE

The new XML files provided by Luis are:-

• Full control for Panasonic AX Projectors
    • Full control for Sony Playstation with a Nyko BLU-Wave Dongle. The original XML template remains available further down the list

Regards Keith....

• 12-05-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

Thanks Keith.

I have named the buttons "Menu4,..." because if you have differents no-B&O xml in the same configuration and there are  some buttons with the same name it's possible that it doesn't work, but it works for other product.

Luis

• 12-05-2008 7:27 PM In reply to

I just bought a PS3 :) yay!!!!!!

Just one thing left :) which is the best IIR to Bluetoooth adapter, please :)

• 12-07-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

Sorry if this has already been answered by id like to double check,

can i confirm if the following USB Dongle can perform all the functionality of controlling the PS3?

Nyko BLU-Wave Dongle

Also, what is the difference between that and the B&O Beo5 Template that dealers have?

• 12-07-2008 9:14 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

Sorry if this has already been answered by id like to double check,

can i confirm if the following USB Dongle can perform all the functionality of controlling the PS3?

Nyko BLU-Wave Dongle

Also, what is the difference between that and the B&O Beo5 Template that dealers have?

Nyko is the dongle that the "Sony Playstation 3" STB is developed for. And it can control "all" of the PS3, at least it can control what needs to play DVD/BR and navigate in menus and so on.

/Weebyx

• 12-07-2008 9:24 AM In reply to

But doesnt the default beo5 config tool have this? Why would someone download the one on beoworld?
  • 12-07-2008 9:48 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:
    But doesnt the default beo5 config tool have this? Why would someone download the one on beoworld?

The one available for download is for direct use of PS3 with Nyko dongle, without the use of the built-in STB controller of the tv. If you have a B&O tv with the "Sony Playstation 3" codes, then you don't need the one available for download.

If you have a Beo5 but a tv without PUC controller, or without the "ps3" option in your tv, AND you have the PS3 located where the Beo5 can see it, then you can use the one for download.

The Config Tool doesn't include ANY products that you can configure the Beo5 to control without the built in STB controller of the TV.

/Weebyx

• 12-07-2008 10:00 AM In reply to

How does the Beo5 connect to the PS3 with STB controller? Via the TV -> HDMI cable -> PS3? How is the PS3 STB controller added to the TV?
  • 12-07-2008 10:10 AM In reply to

Thanks Weebyx

I got a tv with the STB control for the ps3... so i guess i still need the dongle, but using the default template from the beo5 config, right?

• 12-07-2008 10:59 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

Thanks Weebyx

I got a tv with the STB control for the ps3... so i guess i still need the dongle, but using the default template from the beo5 config, right?

Yes, you need the dongle, and you just use the default template for your Beo5. Remember to set the logical connection in the config tool, to assign the PS3 in the config tool, to the same input source (f.ex V.AUX) you have connected the ps3 to, in the tv menu.

/weebyx

• 12-07-2008 11:01 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:
    timhanna:

Thanks Weebyx

Yes, you need the dongle, and you just use the default template for your Beo5. Remember to set the logical connection in the config tool, to assign the PS3 in the config tool, to the same input source (f.ex V.AUX) you have connected the ps3 to, in the tv menu.

/weebyx

And also the IR cable from the tv to the dongle of course :)

/weebyx

• 12-07-2008 11:06 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

propaganda:
    How does the Beo5 connect to the PS3 with STB controller? Via the TV -> HDMI cable -> PS3? How is the PS3 STB controller added to the TV?

Via TV -> IR Blastercable -> Nyko USB IR dongle in the PS3.

If you doesn't have the "Sony Playstation 3" under your "Media" page in the STB menu of the TV, then your dealer can add it to your list(If you have a newer B&O tv). You need to ask your dealer if you can have the STB table changed.

/Weebyx

• 12-07-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

Weebyx, thanks! Ill go ahead and purchase the Nyko USR IR dongle, does anyone have a link of the exact product so that i can purcahse it in the UK?

Thanks

• 12-07-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

Weebyx, thanks! Ill go ahead and purchase the Nyko USR IR dongle, does anyone have a link of the exact product so that i can purcahse it in the UK?

Thanks

Here is a link to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Blu-Wave-Remote/dp/B000R5H7KE

/Weebyx

• 12-07-2008 4:29 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:
    timhanna:

Thanks

Here is a link to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Blu-Wave-Remote/dp/B000R5H7KE

/Weebyx

Sorry, this was the .COM amazon, i looked at co.uk, but apparantly i was redirected :)

I can't find it on .UK amazon, but if you find a good place, please let me know, i need one for myself also, can't keep borrowing my dealers only piece :)

/Weebyx

• 12-07-2008 4:37 PM In reply to

only ebay so far: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nyko-Blu-Wave-Infrared-IR-Remote-for-Sony-PS3-83040-NEW_W0QQitemZ150314589916QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item150314589916&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)