in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-01-2008 5:13 PM by Dillen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2008 11:44 PM

Beogram 8000 Turntable Sliding Chassis Arms Don't Slide

Hello All,

A while ago I wrote on this forum about needing help with the set down adjustment on my Beogram 8000 turntable. I got a lot of great help with that from this forum and was able to adjust the arm and everything has been fine till a couple of days ago. Now the sliding chassis arms only slide for about 3/4 of an inch when the play button is pushed and then the arms go back to the resting position. If I take the platter off the turntable and press play the arms will move forward a couple of inches and then return to the resting position. If you press the play repeatedly sometimes the arm goes all the way to the set down position and plays but not very often. Any thoughts on what could be the problem? I have unplugged the turntable and replugged it to see if it would reset but that doesn't do much.

John

• 12-01-2008 12:52 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 8000 Turntable Sliding Chassis Arms Don't Slide

I had the exact same problem with my 8002.  The consensus here was that capacitor replacement was in order.  I sold the turntable as a parts unit, so I can't say for sure whether that was the cause.  Here's the thread.
  • 12-01-2008 2:11 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, this is a typical symptom of aging capacitors causing the processor to run unstable or, in this particular case, reset often.

A kit is available.

Martin

• 12-01-2008 6:45 AM In reply to

My Beogram 8002 used to do this too. Sometimes the arm would go to the end and get stuck for while.

A handfull of caps and resoldering got it back in perfect working condition. Still works great 12 months later.

• 12-01-2008 1:40 PM In reply to

Hello and thanks for the feedback from everyone. I see from Martin and few others that it looks like I need new capacitors. From who is that kit available from and is the replacement something that a novice with experience with a soldering gun can handle?

Thanks,

John 

• 12-01-2008 1:51 PM In reply to

Martin/Dillen has the kits and they come with clear instructions.

Just send him a pm.

• 12-01-2008 5:13 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I can supply the cap kit and it comes with component location chart(s) etc. but if you don't see yourself as an electronics wizzard or at least 50% of one, I would recommend you bring the Beogram to a guy who knows about these things, one who has the right tools, instruments etc. and who maybe even know the machine by heart. You could choose to bring a kit in together with the Beogram.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)