in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-19-2007 10:10 AM by pf85. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2007 4:23 PM

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Avant - Buying Advice

Dear All,

I'm in the market for a used Avant - Can anybody offer me advice - What models to go for? How much I should pay for the different models?, What to look out for? it is worth getting a RF over a Curved Screen?, what age to avoid?, etc. I'm open to all version although budget rules out the latest models.

Man thanks

Ian 

• 05-18-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Avant - Buying Advice

I would get the best one you can. The top of the range is the Avant RF 32 DVD and these go for just under £2000 for the best ones down to about £1500. I have one and it is a total delight.

An alternative would be a BV3 which as long as you get the 32" one, uses the same chassis as the Avant but will be much cheaper. Same picture and sound quality in a different shape. About £1000 at the minute.

I would wait and get a RF one rather than a curved one and also check on the length of time it has been used - the seller if a dealer will be able to show you this. A bit more spent at the beginning is well worth it. 

• 05-18-2007 5:38 PM In reply to

I'm selling a 2001 curved 32" on ebay as we speak. But I've had all the different types at one stage or another.

The RF 32 with DVD is a cracking tv and if you can afford it, i would go for that one. The prices of all avants are coming down all the time as the market is flooded by people chopping them in for a new BV7 or 9. Peters price is bang on.

Youve then got the RF 32 with a VCR. These go for around 900-1200.

Then the curved 32's can be anywhere from 400-800.

28's are normally worth approx 75% of the value of a 32"

The early ones from the mid to late nineties are notorious for dodgey tubes and should be avoided, especially as you can get a newish curved one for a similar price.

The colour also makes a big difference. Black costs the most, then silver, then the rest ending with lime green. Yuck!!

The age of the set doesnt really matter. Its more about what type and colour you go for.

Regards Brett
  • 05-18-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

The BV 3 is also a good buy. I had a 32" for a year and loved it. The only reason i sold it is because i was made an offer i could not refuse and i grabbed his hand off (£1000 just for the tv). These now make as little as £750 with the motorised stand on ebay.

I've now got a 28" BV3 (which is 50mhz) and its nowhere near as good as the 32" (which are 100hz).

Regards Brett
  • 05-18-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

i have a 2001 32 inch Avant DVD. I got a STB Controller, but never got around to actually buying a STB. Now that I have all the options on the menu appear to be Satellite boxes and not Freetoview. What to do now?

• 05-19-2007 2:36 AM In reply to

You can have the software updated. Does it have the Sky+ box listed? If not, there is new software for it available. Check with your dealer about which boxes will work.If you are feeling very rich, the built in Freeview module should be here in June and will fit your set.
  • 05-19-2007 10:10 AM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Just bought a 2000 32" curved Avant. What a delight. Picture like new. Seems to me as if any Avant with a solid pre history is a good catch. 
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)