in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2009 4:32 PM by Die_Bogener. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2008 5:06 AM

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Downgrade MX7000 software

In order to have two way communication between my MX7000 and my Beolink7000 I need to downgrade my MX7000 software (which is a 4.3 version) to 1.something. As far as I can understand such a downgrade consists of nothing more than changing an IC in the MX7000. However, some questions comes to mind:

1) How do I get my fingers in such an IC

2) Can I change it myself?

3) Does changing the IC bring unplanned (i.e. unwanted) consequences with it?

4) Has anybody experience with downgrading software in a MX-TV?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

ChristianHmm

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 5:52 AM In reply to

Re: Downgrade MX7000 software

Not too sure if it's all that simple, it could very well be if it's a newer (beo4, type 78xx) MX that even the infrared transmitters aren't fitted, you could check it under the toplid, that's the only thing i can think of just now.

Actually i don't know if there ever was a MX7000 2-way.... but if it is possible at all and your's is a beo4 type now it may very well be with the downgrade it'll become a link 1000 type (with different operation/menu).

• 11-24-2008 6:34 AM In reply to

ipaul:

Not too sure if it's all that simple, it could very well be if it's a newer (beo4, type 78xx) MX that even the infrared transmitters aren't fitted, you could check it under the toplid, that's the only thing i can think of just now.

For what it's worth - I didn't bother to disassemble (again) my MX6000 type 7810, Beo4 - but I took a look through the window with a flashligt, and I'm pretty sure the there are two IR leds installed to the right of the standby led.

Then it would be the problem where to get the old software. I'm pretty sure the dealer will not be able to (or want to) help there. In addition, the old & new software might store all adjustment settings in a completely different way, meaning that the set would be completely out of adjustment once you boot up with the "new" (old) software.

I find it rather odd that the designers dropped the two-way support from the new software, it could've just as well kept trying to transmit even if the hardware (or a two-way remote) wasn't there. Perhaps they ran out of code space with all the new features?

Regarding the OP's (and my) original problem, i.e not being able to rotate the stand with a Beolink 1000/5000/7000 because the set doesn't respond to picture + </>, I'm sure the designers just didn't think long enough - it works again in later tv sets...

-mika

• 11-24-2008 6:38 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Aha - but that is exactly what I am looking for. I am looking for turing my 1999 MX7000 operate acccording to link1000's menu's.

The reason for this, is that it will give me a possibility of turning the motorized stand under my MX7000 wih my Beolink7000

I know for a fact that MX7000 were made two way. http://64.233.183.132/search?q=cache:RPtGboS92c8J:www.beocentral.com/products/mx7000+bang+olufsen+mx7000+two+way&hl=da&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=dk

It is just a question of software: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/post/159453.aspx 

I did I get the wrong end of the stick?

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 6:43 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

I think you might very well be right, Mika.

One way of solving the problem is to get an MX7000 with 1.something software - but then you have an almost 20 year old tv (my MX7000 is from 1999).

You write: "In addition, the old & new software might store all adjustment settings in a completely different way, meaning that the set would be completely out of adjustment once you boot up with the "new" (old) software." - but what are the exact implications of that? Problems that can not be solved with a Beolink1000? Which type of problems do you anticipate?

And finally - what do you suggest we do with the OP.

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 6:53 AM In reply to

As long as the IR transmitting hardware is there i think you could easily swap the whole CPU board for an older version.

To re-adjust the settings, it might be sufficient (easy ?) to just access the current service menu and write down the vaules of the settings and set the values the same when the other cpu (or eprom) is placed.

It's weird that they put all the hardware in and not the software and actually i find the link 1000 software much easier and logical to use than the later versions.

Anyway, i might have a cpu/eprom from a scrap 7000 here, have to check though which software.

• 11-24-2008 7:11 AM In reply to

chr_elling:

You write: "In addition, the old & new software might store all adjustment settings in a completely different way, meaning that the set would be completely out of adjustment once you boot up with the "new" (old) software." - but what are the exact implications of that? Problems that can not be solved with a Beolink1000? Which type of problems do you anticipate?

And finally - what do you suggest we do with the OP.

Frankly, I have no idea if there would be any problems. It might just as well work out of the box, but I'm a cautious man... In the worst case, all the service menu settings would probably drop to some kind of defaults. B&O might be an easier case in this regard because the MX internals stayed pretty much the same through the life of a given model. Many other manufacturers used a number of different tuner modules etc., and all these options were configuration items stored somewhere, and messing with them could well end you up with a tv set that doesn't work at all.

Regarding the stand problem, I don't think I personally will do anything, I mostly use the Beo4... However, when I have time (which is probably sometime in year 2025), I'll start implementing my own IRTrans-type remote translator to get my non-B&O crap to work with Beo remotes. It wouldn't be much work to add translation for the stand commands, as well.

-mika

• 11-24-2008 7:16 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

That might be the solution to my problem!

If one can mechanically switch the cp/eproms from one MX to another my question is how to get access to the service menus (I might be a B&O-nerd with some electronic knowledge, but I grew up with DOS and would thus have a fairly "mechanical" approach to programming - do you think that such a knowledge level would suffice?).

But thank you for spending time on the issue.

And thank you in adcance for investigating what sw your scrap 7000 has!

Best regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 7:48 AM In reply to

Interesting discussion ... how about software from a two way MX4000?  Surely this would work?!

Neil

• 11-24-2008 8:28 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

I actually have a MX4000 a home which works fine two way with my Beolink 7000. Are you suggesting, that I switch the cpu with eac other (I d not need the two way communication in the room where the MX4000 is)? That would indeed be an easy way to solve my problem, but it also sounds like I am potentially throwing a spanner in gear box - or am I being uncoragous?

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 8:32 AM In reply to

You may destroy 2 sets!
  • 11-24-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Yes, that is indeed what I am fearing.

Is there anyone who has the sufficient knowledge to give a his (og her's) knowledge based opinion on how to pull this on of?

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 10:21 AM In reply to

Why don't you get a quote from your dealer, they will have to contact their tech services, and you will know more about the feasability as well.

If you like the price go with them, otherwise try the DIY solution.

p.

• 11-24-2008 10:29 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

The problem is that I suspect my local dealer will tell. "I see your problem, however - and unfortunately - there is no solution to your problem. I can - though - recommend procuring a full on 60 inch plasma screen with the new wireless B&O link through out your entire house. And if you pay full price we will through a Beo4 in for free".

I think I need to get in contact with a local enthusiast(/nerd) as my self.

But thanks for your reasonable advice. The Danish B&O dealers are just simply (generally) unreasonable regarding price (compared to the prices I encountered while living in Ireland and USA)..

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-24-2008 1:32 PM In reply to

A downgrade is possible, i did it on several MX6000.

Check software: Menu - 0 - 0 - Play

Versions are: 1.x (two way)     2.x (one way)    3.x (one way)

Parameters for the picture tube, tv stations etc. are kept in a flash eeprom. I know definitely, that downgrading from V2.x to V1.x does not destroy anything, nothing was lost.

What you need is the Eprom, i think it is the same for the MX6000 and MX7000 in Version 1. If you need it, i still have some of them.

A Version 2.x MX6000 can be downgraded just by exchanging the eprom, nothing else is necessery, no hardware, no adjustment for the tube... just the chip.

A Version 3.x MX6000 needs the eprom and a downgrade of the videotext module. The hardware of the videotext module is different, it must be replaced.

MX6000/4000 and MX7000 were identical in Version 1.x i think, the later versions i dont know for sure.

Martin  

• 11-24-2008 1:39 PM In reply to

Just give your dealer a call and say exactly what you want. You'll get less pressure over the phone.

Anyway, I am not sure the new software features the FORMAT command, like on the BV8. But if it does, you will lose that feature.

P. 

• 11-25-2008 2:04 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your qualified answer - I have send you a PM.

But is good to get an answer from some one who actually knows what he is talking about.

A solution might be in sight!

Thanks!

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-25-2008 7:23 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

It's not easy to find somebody who knows it... for example, when I tryed to solve the same problem with my MX5500 (to turn the TV with BL7000) I didn't get any help from my local dealer, and also from Bang&Olufsen... they haven't got the knowledge, how to do it!

So, for example, for the MX5500 both the SW1.6 and the SW2.2 were wrong, and only the 2.1 worked fine in all aspects... and it took a very long time to solve it... and a lot's of money until I found the solution.

But at the end - YES, it's working fine, and I'am happy with it :)

• 11-26-2008 8:46 AM In reply to

It seems i've less junk than i thought but anyway: i've got a complete chassis for MX7000 link 1000 type with SW 1.1.

Apart from that i think the chances of ruining anything with changing the eproms is really small to none: like Martin says, the MX4000/6000/7000 are the same chassis.

So interchanging your eproms (MX4000 /7000) would work or not (completely) but  ruining, something, i don't think so.

However, not having to 'dig' into your 4000 could be a good reason just only to experiment with the 7000 eprom.

Another detail: the serial number of the set is stored in the eprom, so this wouldn't match anymore (but will be restored if you put the original eprom back).

to access the service menu shortcut the 2 pins somewhere close to the scart connections for abt 2 sec.

• 11-26-2008 9:25 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your mail. I also send you a pm.

You write: "to access the service menu shortcut the 2 pins somewhere close to the scart connections for abt 2 sec." You might be pointing me in the right direction, but I sure that I can find multutude of "2 pins somewhere close to the scart connections" - can you tell me exectly which two pins you are talking about?

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 11-26-2008 1:08 PM In reply to

ipaul:

Another detail: the serial number of the set is stored in the eprom, so this wouldn't match anymore (but will be restored if you put the original eprom back).

No, the serial number ist stored in the flash eeprom, not in the eprom. All eproms contain the same data, they are identical, the serial number is programed seperatly when the geometry of the tube data was programed.

• 11-26-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

Let me know if you are struggling to find the software ... I have dozens of chassis here ... I am sure one must have what you are looking for.

Neil

• 11-27-2008 6:35 AM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Dear Mr. Niel

Thank you very much. That might be handy for me. Let me se if I can solve it otherwise, but thanks nevertherless.

Best regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 02-20-2009 5:45 PM In reply to

• chr_elling
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Denmark, Gentofte
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Mr Paul from Hollamd was so nice to send me an MX7000 s.w 1.1 sofwa eprom which resulted in the tv not turning on at all.

And secondly I wrecked the tv because I was not carefuul enoughSuper Angry. I felt veryIck! frustratedIck!. - I was in over my head.Confused

But first and foremost thank you to Mr. Paul from Holland who free of charge mailed me the right E-prom. Good karma comes back.

Thanks Pauls. And thank you to all the ret ost of you. Helpful as always.

Regards

Christian

B&O old school link nerd

• 02-21-2009 5:34 AM In reply to

What happened to the TV?  What went wrong?

Neil

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >