in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2008 4:33 PM by João Costa. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2008 7:45 PM

Olufsen House - interesting problem... I hope!

Hello,

I'm very new at this so hope you can help me. I've got a new flat I'm rebuilding and I had a chance to buy some B&O great products.

Now I'm fighting to better understand how I can connect them.

Here is the flat plant: Flat Plant

Legend:

A - Avant 32 + DVD1

B - BeoCenter 6-23

C - Beosound 9000

D - Beolab 8000

E - Laptop Computer with docking station

F - IR receivers from B&O

G - Lintronic TT455

H -  Beolink PC2

Now  the connections:

C1-floor cable from BeoSound 9000 to the Avant 32 - Master Link and Speakers

C2 and C3 - IR Receivers to the Lintronic Box

C4 - Laptop to Lintronic Box

C5-Laptop to  Beocenter DVI cable and BeoLink PC2 (not tested yet still waiting for Ebay postage!)

C6 -Avant to Beolink 2

My questions:

1. Is it possible to have 2 tvs in the same area and not interfering with each other?

2. Are the connections well done? Especialy the Biolink PC2?

3. Do you think Avant is the correct center for all the connections?

4. I'm controlling everything by Beo4 Remote control and Lintronic, including lights. Any comments? Suggestions?

Any other comments would be great! Guys, I really need your help and promiss to post photos after the flat i done, I've spent lots of time trying to buy these great items second and and lots of money too, It would be a very big disapointment if I couldn't connect them all in a very interesting way! 

By the way do you know anyone selling BeoSound 9000 wall bracket and Beocenter 6-23 brackets?

Best regards and thanks in advance!

João Costa

• 11-24-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

Re: Olufsen House - interesting problem... I hope!

Wow... had to print it to make sense of it!

You do not need speaker cables between BS9000 and Avant, you should connect the speakers directly on the Avant.

Keep a speaker cable in the floor, for the day you connect back speakers to the TV.

You should also find a layout where distance between the BL8000 is larger. The sound will be much improved.

BC6 also needs to be connected to the Masterlink bus, so that you can pick up the DVD and other sources connected to the main TV.

BS9000 should be set to Option 0, as there should be no speakers connected to it.

Avant in Option 2.

BC6 should be in Option 4, because it is in the same room as the main system.

In Option 4, this TV will be controled by pressing LINK before you press the source.

e.g. LINK + TV will control the BC6, TV will control the AVANT. RADIO will control the BS9000, LINK RADIO, the BC6.

You will also need an aerial cable that goes from the main TV to the BC6.

Why the Lintronic box in your system? What do you control?

Which TV source are you getting? Any set top box connected to your TVs?

p. 

• 11-24-2008 7:06 PM In reply to

Thanks Phil,

I guess the flat is very little (63sq meters) but my confused mind made it difficult to understand... sorry!

1. New Layout

Do you recomend a different layout? Some details: bathroom is in transparent glass; sofa is in the middle of the living room; BC6 is in a table but placed in a pillar; flat height (1,5 meters); no doors between any room (except bathroom). Where do you recommend me to put the BS8000?

2. BC 6 connection

So Avant is going to be the master ;) great. I then connect the BC6 and can control each tv separately, that's great because I had the idea it couldn't be done! So I'll need like a Ml extension correct? I have to connect 9000+BC6

3. Aerial cable

Sorry, what's an aerial cable?

4. Lintronic

I'm going to use lintronic to control my house lights and I needed, in the past, to ocntrol a Sony DVD Player. i also have the idea of putting electric curtains in the bathroom, but for now its just an idea.

5. PC

What do you think of the connection to the BC6 and the Beoport? Any experiences?

Phil, thanks for the advices and I'm waiting, impatient for your comments!

Best regards,

João Costa

• 11-24-2008 7:08 PM In reply to

Sorry Phil,

One more detail you asked, yes I intent to buy a set top box... how should I connect it to have in both tvs?

Best regards and thanks once again!

João Costa

• 11-25-2008 5:30 AM In reply to

1. That made me laugh, as I have just bought a flat (just a bit  bigger 69 sqm) and redone it, I also made it a B&O flat, and guess what, it has no doors, and the bathroom has a glass wall as well!... although it is frosted glass.

I am not an architect or a designer, but my friends and family always ask me for advice!

I would probably do a very different layout if I was starting from scratch. But for the moment I suggest the following tweeks:

- Try and see if you cannot move the fantastic BL8000 a bit left and right, away from the TV.

- In the bathroom, I suppose the Bath tub is the rectangular thing at the back. I would put it at the front, in a way that you can watch TV from the bath, through the glass!

- Add a Beolab 2000 in the Bathroom so you can get the sound.

- Do you plan watching the Avant from the bed?

- I would not put a bidet (the low wash bassin) in a bathroom that is visible from the living room.

2. You need to connect all B&O devices: BC9000, AVANT, BC6 et BL PC2, and any other B&O to the Masterlink cable.

The simplest connection is to make a star: buy a junction box from B&O, the big one, it has six Masterlink sockets, and you connect all your devices to that box and that's it. They will all speak to each other.

3. The Aerial cable is also called the Antenna cable. That is the cable you get the TV signal from. It has to go to your AVANT first, and then you need a second antenna cable going from the AVANT to the BC6. You'll then be able to watch and control from the BC6 any source you have on the AVANT.

If you connect a Set top box to the Avant, make sure you avant as a set to box controller and that your set top box is supported by the Avant. The Avant will distribute the set to box picture to the BC6 and you'll be able to control it from both.

4. For the lights, I would recommand you buy second hand LC2 on ebay, they are great. Or you can buy Innovus light dimmers, http://www.innovus.eu/index.php?id=72

They work exactly like the LC2 with the Beo4. The problem is the one I first received did not work and I am waiting to receive replacements. So I cannot yet recommand them until I know that they will for sure work.

5. I do not see a problem there.

As a general advice, I would position all the elements in a room and do a cabling and test if everything works before hiding the cabling. Add ML in all corners of the flat. And as B&O is moving to Ethernet cables, I would also add Ethernet cables!

P. 

• 11-25-2008 8:24 AM In reply to

Phil, what a coincidence !!! I'm also not a designer or architect but everyone likes to ask me stuff like that!!! When the house is rebuild I'll send you some photos and for sure if you come to Portugal - Lisbon you can come and visit the house!

1. New ajustments

BS800 will be moved as you say!

No bathtub, a shower and is the rectangular thing in the right. The rectangle you mentioned is were are the plumbing must go.... This way I can see movies while in the bath! :D

No bidet! ;)

By the way the idea was to use SmartGlass technology, but too expensive, afterwards I searched for electric curtains but also too expensive, now I'm going for manual "curtains" like the ones we use in cars, with something provocative stamped in! Hope it works!

Beolab 2000 :( no more money, I'm almost broke with all the B&O equipment! Because it was a bathroom I started to search for BeoVox, but couldn't find them second hand!

2. Junction box Set top box

I'm already searching and trying to buy one! Thanks! I guess my avant doesn't have the set top box :( I'm going to search for one!

3.Aerial...

Sorry.. now I get it! With a Set top box, at least in Portugal, I don't need the aerial... only the FM radio ;) I'll try to undesrtand if the building has one.

4. Automation

I bought lintronic because it seems the system with more potential... I'm also looking at your system...give me feedback as soon as you get your working.

Unfortunatly I cant test because the falt looks like a ruin.... :( I can test at my current place :D Ethernet cables, I'll pass them by also!

Best regards!

João Costa

• 11-25-2008 8:51 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Nice project.

Take a look at this thread for pics of my masterlink distribution box and infos regarding ml over ethernet.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 11-30-2008 3:22 PM In reply to

Thanks guys!

First of all sorry for answering so late, but every single day I tried to put everything together, but it was too late and my father and mother were asleep, I could wake them up with the noise, they don't deserve that treatment!

Now some issues:

1.Test results... GREAT!

I assembled everything and put up all the options! Great! Can you belive that my local dealer told me it was impossible! That the only solution was to put a Remote reduction signal (plastic tip!)... it worket great! no one saw tv for a few hours but it worket great!!!

2. Set top box

Help me on this one, I'm going to subscribe a Portuguese service that has a box. How can I control the box in my tvs? Phil, were can I find some info on the Avant module and how can I integrate with the new box?

3. Layout

Phil, I'm wondering how would you put the layout... the 8000, were would you put them?

Yes, I intent to see avant in the bedroom (hope its not too far away..... :S)

4. ML - Ralf thanks!

Ralf, I saw the post and tried to buy the junction box... but the prices... round 70 to 80 EUR with shippment to Portugal.... its so expensive :(. I guess I'm fgoing to have to go the dealer, were I'm buying the cables (ML for 7,5EUR for meter...is it a good price?!) and ask them to develop the "manual" juntcion box...

Once again...thanks guys! You have been saving me time and most important of all, you're giving me the correct answers that I don't get from the dealers!

Best regards,

João Costa

• 12-01-2008 5:02 PM In reply to

João Costa:
    2. Set top box
    Help me on this one, I'm going to subscribe a Portuguese service that has a box. How can I control the box in my tvs? Phil, were can I find some info on the Avant module and how can I integrate with the new box?
    Well... there are several solutions...

1/ The best one is the Set top box controller from B&O.
    You need to have a B&O engineer that comes and fit it inside your TV. There is an IR emitter that goes from the back of the Avant to the set top box. Providing your box is common, it should be in the STB-C list. You should verify that with your dealer before you buy.
    This is the best solution. You can hide the box in a cupboard. It can be controlled from the other TV and by the video tape recorder for timed programming. Make sure you know the cost before it is fitted. Could be expensive, but future proof.

2/ Lintronic, by IR
    You can program your lintronic box to convert the Beo4 signals into your STB IR signals. Works OK. You cannot use timer programming.

3/ Lintronic, by Scart
    I am not too sure about this one, but it seems the Lintronic can be interfaced with the cable 8 of the scart socket, interpret the AVL signals and then send the Ir signals to the STB. I have seen this solution mentioned only once on this forum. It should be reliable and offer the same advantages as solution 1, less the on screen menu.

4/ DVD controller
    Another B&O solution that convert AVL signals on cable 8 of the scart cable into IR. Keith Saunders has mentioned once he has used this solution to control a STB (that was not a DVD player) . Not sure if it had to be modified. Maybe the software needs to be changed.

5/ Beo 5
    Direct control of the STB by the Beo5. You would need to get the software from your dealer, or from the internet if it is still available for download. Expensive. Not recommanded. You may struggle with the configuration.

João Costa:
    3. Layout
    Phil, I'm wondering how would you put the layout... the 8000, were would you put them?

I would just move them to the right or to the left of the TV. One the other side of the window/door, between the bedroom and the living room, and one close to the E letter on your drawing.

p. 
  • 12-02-2008 9:55 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

4. For the lights, I would recommand you buy second hand LC2 on ebay, they are great. Or you can buy Innovus light dimmers, http://www.innovus.eu/index.php?id=72

I have not received the new Innovus RAOne smartdimmers and they work great.

I have posted these notes : http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/162677.aspx

• 12-03-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

Phil,

Thanks. I have fluorescent lights so I can only use electronic ballasts :( So no dimmer for the moment!

Regarding yours... they seem great!

STB..I'm on it!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)