in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-21-2008 1:38 AM by haa05. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2008 9:00 AM

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Apple TV and Avant (again)

First of all, I apologise if this has all been said before, but I've looked through various posts about this and I'm confused!

Setup : I have an old 28" curved screen Avant (with the video built in) connected to a DVD1, Sky+ box (not controlled by beo4) and a beosound 3000 which plays through the speakers in the TV.

the aux input on the beosound 3000 is connected to an Airport Express so that I can wirelessly send music to the beosound from my powerbook.

I use an iPhone with the Remote App to select the music.

It all works perfectly, but obviously the laptop has to be on (somewhere) for this to happen.

I was thinking about getting an Apple TV to solve this

as I understand it, this would bypass the need to send any mp3s through the beosound 3000 and I could mute the screen to get the same effect (without the need for the laptop to be on)

here are my questions/concerns - hope that you can help!

1) am I right in thinking that you TRANSFER all your mp3s to the Apple TV so the laptop wouldn't need to be on all the time?

2) did I read somewhere that the svideo.com converter that I keep hearing about doesn't let you play sound (just pictures) or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

3) assuming that you can hear sound, will pictures/ripped DVDs played this way look any good on the old Avant?

4) if videos with sound are not possible/will look rubbish, could I just take the audio from the Apple TV and plug that into the Beosound 3000 (solving just the problem of having to have the laptop on)

Hope that this all makes sense!

• 11-19-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Re: Apple TV and Avant (again)

Hi,

I've a similiar setup: Avant + Beosound 3000 (no extra speakers), non B&O HDD recorder and an Apple TV connected via the svideo.com converter.

I do synchronize all my music, photos and videos to the Apple TV (automatic sync). Thus I need no notebook to hear music or watching photos or video. Perfect solution for me. The only thing is that I cannot control the Apple TV with Beo4.

I've never ripped DVDs to sync them with Apple TV. You have to import them into iTunes as far as I know (if possible).
    Rented videos (at least the trailers) are looking good on the Avant.

I'm using a SCART adapter to connect the Apple TV.

Arno

• 11-19-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

hey Arno,

thanks for your help - that's just what I needed.  much appreciated.

I'll use the iPhone Remote app to control the Apple TV.

does anyone know if I can disconnect the vhs lead and use that socket for the Apple TV (looks like I need to unscrew it somehow)? (I never use the video)

David 

• 11-20-2008 1:21 PM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

David,

I tried the VHS socket but without success. Pressing DTV (VTAPE on the older Beo4) brought no image.

Now I'm using the Decoder socket and use LIST - DVD2 to activate it.

iPhone Remote works great. The only thing is that you cannot control the volume with it.

Unfortunately the just announced Apple TV update with its remote learning function is not working with Beo4.

Arno

• 11-20-2008 1:51 PM In reply to

Arno,I have a 32" Avant and am very interested in this solution.  Are you using both the Svideo.com converter and a scart converter together.  If so which scart converter are you using and why did you choose this commbination. 

Does this all fit neatly behind your Avant, how have you made it look neat. How have you connected to the Svideo socket on the Avant and kept the cables tidy

Sorry for so many questions but I would love to have apple tv on my avant but only if I can find a solution that will keep the back of the avant un-cluttered.

Many thanks

Peter 

• 11-20-2008 2:36 PM In reply to

I'm waiting for the new mac-mini supposedly out in January.....

Whilst I like the idea of Apple TV, having the mini as my media center would be my preferred option...

Now, if only Apple would come out with a combined wireless keyboard/ mouse/ trackpad!

• 11-21-2008 1:38 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Peter,

yes I use the svideo.com converter together with a no name scart adapter for 15 euros or so.

I've placed Apple TV at the rear botton of the Avant. There is a little space where Apple TV fits in. Unfortunately there a lot of cables (power supply of the svideo converter + component cables). I've bound them together as good as possible but it's still not perfect. Absolutely no problem from the front view but from the side you can see the mass of cables.

If you plan to use the Apple remote you have to be aware that you have to target the Apple TV behind the TV. Not perfect at all. But I'm using the iPhone so that is not issue for me. 

I plan to place the Apple TV away from the Avant. So long it's a good compromise for me.

For me it's still the perfect solution to get rid of burning CDs, consume hours of uninterrupted music and share my photos and self-made videos with my friends. I hope movie rental will be available soon here in Europe.

A fun side effect by the way:
    I use the Apple TV screen saver that shows my photos by accident. Often I find my "missing" friends sitting before the TV showing photos displayed by Apple TV. 

You see, I like it :-)

Arno

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)