in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2008 5:48 PM by propaganda. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2008 9:30 PM

Searching for a sustainable niche

I hate being a B&O-basher but the BS5 in my view confirms that B&O is on the wrong track. 

Don't get me wrong - it looks great and no doubt has a superior interface to my current iMac/AppleTV set-up. But why on earth would anyone with half a brain buy the BS5? It is so limited in the media it can handle (video?) and it'll be dated within two years. And it's about $4,500 too expensive.

Based on my demographics, I ought to be a passionate B&O owner:

- I'm fortunate to be in a high income bracket (top 5% in terms of income and wealth).

- I'm a life-long owner of B&O products (my parents had B&O TV and radio and I bought my first B&O when I was 14 --- a stunning second-hand BeoMaster 1900-2 and BeoGram 3000. I have since owned countless TVs, music systems, speakers etc)

- I'm a Dane living overseas

Still, the only B&O I currently own are a pair of BL3s (office) and BL9s (living room) hooked up to a combination of Mac and Samsung. Do I miss my old B&O? Not really except for the BeoLink 4 remote.

The bottom line is that B&O in my view has yet to find a sustainable niche. It makes great products but the world of technological change is so rapid that only a [B&O] enthusiast would be inclined to buy the BS5 system.  

The original BeoLink concept was unique and decades ahead of its time. But this concept is now mainstream and B&O cannot survive as a mainstream company. 

So what should B&O do?

(1) Continue to focus on speakers. The BL3/5/9 series is incredible and very reasonably priced.

(2) Produce more great niche products and accessories. I love my A8s and my EarSet 2 for iPhone. 

(3) Expand the auto range to other manufacturers. I personally drive a MB - I would happily have forked out the $5,000ish premium for the B&O set-up had it been offered by my dealer.  

(4) Acknowledge that in the computers/link system environment, B&Os competitive advantage is extremely limited if indeed at all

(5) Create great TV designs at lower price points (BV5, BV6, BV8 are all great TVs that I'd happily pay a 20-40% premium for based on the superior design but not the current 200-300% premium)

Without a plan along the above lines, I fear that B&O will end up as a product for nouveau riche in Russia and Dubai and a dedicated group of enthusiasts like on this forum.

• 11-19-2008 2:35 AM In reply to

Re: Searching for a sustainable niche

I'm not sure all enthusiasts on this forum are taken with the BS5 - am going to see one today, but expect it to be nothing more than an impressive interface to basic functionality.

As well as the Acoustic-Lens based speakers, BS9000 is a great product - this should be updated with a Blu-Ray/DVD drive and DAB Radio to make a 'killer' product for B&O - the design is timeless, enduring appeal has been proved..........

BV7-40 MK3 is a very capable product, but agreed, the premium is too high for most of us whether or not we can afford it.

The tie-up with Samsung, in my view, devalued the brand, and as is often proposed on this forum, closer links with Apple would add value.

All IMHO of course. 

• 11-19-2008 2:41 PM In reply to

KingOfSnake:

BS9000 is a great product - this should be updated with a Blu-Ray/DVD drive and DAB Radio to make a 'killer' product for B&O - the design is timeless, enduring appeal has been proved.........

Totally agree about this, and while they are at it they should add a SD slot as well. Some simple updates to this product would extend it's lifespan in the range and continue to justify it's premium price.

• 11-20-2008 11:58 AM In reply to

You think so? I believe in quality over quantity. 
  • 11-20-2008 5:48 PM In reply to

If available why not have both...
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)