in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-14-2008 3:46 PM by mor. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2008 10:39 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Back to the Future?

Is it really correct that the Beosound 5 connects to the main unit with a cable? So if I bought one and decided to situate it on my coffee table I would have to put up with a cable across the floor?

Surely this cannot be true?

In the seventies I bought a Panasonic VCR which had a long cable to the remote which really got on my nerves. A few months later they brought out a wireless remote and special infra-red receiver box which connected to the VCR giving me the luxury of wireless remote!  

I now have Apple TV connected to my B&O system and control everything from the comfort of my chair with an iPod Touch. Any new media added to iTunes is transmitted wirelessly to the ATV. So simple and efficient.

I really believed that the new Beosound 5 would leapfrog my Apple set-up making me really envious.

It hasn't! 

• 11-14-2008 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: Back to the Future?

No it is not true, you do not need a cable, you need 3!

More seriously... The Beosound 5 is not a remote, it is a Beosound, like the Beosound 4. You would not put the Beosound 4 on your coffee table.

The Beosound 5 can be operated from a distance with either the Beo4 or the Beo5.

But I agree that the Beosound 5 only makes sense when operated locally. That sucks! It is like having to stand up to change the TV channel.

p.

• 11-14-2008 10:45 AM In reply to

I saw an ad for a new Sony TV today, that the screen itself don't need any cables but a power cable. The control box sends the signal wirelessly to the TV.

This is SONY!

Wake up B&O.

Make a "Beolab5" TV and Music system. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-14-2008 12:14 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

I was quite surprised about the need for a cable myself ... not the digital revolution I as hoping for ;-) 

Wireless display should have been the way forward along with WiFi that would have easily done the deal 

• 11-14-2008 2:33 PM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

I saw an ad for a new Sony TV today, that the screen itself don't need any cables but a power cable. The control box sends the signal wirelessly to the TV.

This is SONY!

Wake up B&O.

Make a "Beolab5" TV and Music system. 

Off topic, but yes, there is Panasonic TV out which does the same thing. A main box, separate from the screen where all cables go, the the picture & sound are sent wirelessly to the screen. If it works, then this is fabulous. All they need now is a way of transmitting the power to the screen without a cable.

Back to B&O, the Beosound 5 is but one example of how difficult or even impossible it is becoming for the 'independents' to compete.      

• 11-14-2008 2:35 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

mor:

I was quite surprised about the need for a cable myself ..

Cables! I'm surprised how many cables and 'socket boxes' are required by new B&O kit. My BS4 is a cable mess with the DAB and other cables out of the back.

• 11-14-2008 3:36 PM In reply to

The usb cable is also a problem i think, max length is 5 meters for a normal usb cable.

the two units have to stand very close together  

• 11-14-2008 3:46 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

I am not so sure about the challenge to compete successfully ... we (just about) all see what B&O can do when we look at the speakers. 

By the way, coming back to the topic of this thread: even Samsung's latest TVs use embedded Linux as OS. I remain sceptic whether MS was the correct choise.

Talking about the wires: That's one reason I was an am still VERY happy about the Beocenter 2. All neatly tucked away and with the 10m central wire carrying all info very easy to integrate / hide. With the Beosound 5 they could have at least invested into a similar approach. 

I would be very insterested: Who's gonna buy one? 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)