in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-09-2009 4:00 AM by Puncher. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2008 5:01 AM

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

No more B&O Mediacenter ?

If BeoMedia 1 is discontinued and BeoMaster 5 can't act as a "video storage", there is no more MediaCenter in the B&O range ? Sad

What is the B&O solution to store DVD ?

Is there any solution for video like BeoSound 5 for the music ? (don't want another brand, just want full B&O) ?

• 11-14-2008 5:10 AM In reply to

Re: No more B&O Mediacenter ?

At a guess, I would imagine this maybe an additional product we may see in the future for BS5?
  • 11-14-2008 5:17 AM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

B&O recommends DVico TVix 6500 or 7000 as a HD mediacenter. It can be added in the PUC list and can be controlled by Beo5 and Beo4 already.

I have the 6500A and it works perfect to watch videos in diferent formats, play music and see photos. It can have a built in HD DVB-T too.

Quim

• 11-14-2008 5:38 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Yeah !

Great news, thanks ! Yes -  thumbs up

It seems to be an interesting solution...

• 11-14-2008 5:57 AM In reply to

steph:

If BeoMedia 1 is discontinued and BeoMaster 5 can't act as a "video storage", there is no more MediaCenter in the B&O range ? Sad

Is there any solution for video like BeoSound 5 for the music ? (don't want another brand, just want full B&O) ?

Beomedia 1 could only read small videos... Beomaster 5 has the same Video capabilities, but with a better processor you can expect to read larger video files.

• 11-14-2008 5:57 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Can we rip DVD on the TViX (no problem with DRM) ?
  • 11-14-2008 6:02 AM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

steph:
    Can we rip DVD on the TViX (no problem with DRM) ?

You can make an ISO file of your DVD. Tvix reads the ISO file like it is a full DVD, with menus and chapters.

Quim

• 11-14-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Quim43:

B&O recommends DVico TVix 6500 or 7000 as a HD mediacenter. It can be added in the PUC list and can be controlled by Beo5 and Beo4 already.

I have the 6500A and it works perfect to watch videos in diferent formats, play music and see photos. It can have a built in HD DVB-T too.

I am using Windows Vista MCE, fully controlled by the PUC controller and Beo5 :) All my music/HD series and fully ripped DVD's, with subtitles/angles/soundstreams and so on.

/Weebyx

• 11-14-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I wish i understood all this stuff... [:'(]

When it comes to software, i'm beat, i can connect, even solder,  but my god all these algorithms stump me! 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-14-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

the new mac mini will be launched in January!
  • 11-14-2008 4:55 PM In reply to

gk31ax:
    the new mac mini will be launched in January!

Should be excellent:

Apple's Mac mini will be reborn as the digital hub centerpiece it was originally conceived to be, Think Secret sources have disclosed. The new Mac mini project, code-named Kaleidoscope, will feature an Intel processor and include both Front Row 2.0 and TiVo-like DVR functionality.

Also, ThinkSecret says that it will be released in January at MacWorld. 

• 11-14-2008 6:47 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Well I run a Mac Mini through my BeoSystem 5500 and a projector.  I've also ripped all my DVDs onto an external hard drive which took an age but is rewarding. Now if I want music, I press Radio on the controller and if I want a film, I whack up the projector and run a film onto my wall through a good sound and AV system.

Getting back to B&O though, I really don't think that they'll ever match the range of possibilities offered by a Mac or PC based solution like this.  I suppose what they can offer is a computer system that's compatible with a B&O controller via a USB based receiver and this is what I really hope they put out in a while.

In a dream setup, I'd love to be using, say, a web browser on my projector, then I click a button on my remote and it automatically loads up a media program,  I could then use the controls to select a programme saved on my hard drives and the sound system would automatically have switched to Aux by now to take the audio input from the computer. 

• 01-04-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

I also own a dvico 6500 connected to my BV 7-40 MK III. The box is great, and the PUC control is ok.

There is only a format problem which I am faceing. When I play back movies in 4:3 format (i.e. Billy Idol Storytellers as  ISO DVD Image),
    then the screen format seems horizantaly squeezed. Format 1, which is intended for 4:3 movies, is only acceptable at "enlarged".
    The Format-go switches to Format 3, but is also not like the original.

If I change the dvico setting to 4:3 output, the screen format is a lot better - but some menu parts are outside the screen.

I would like to mention, that the playback on the BV DVD is ok, and Format 1 is the correct format.

Has anybody an idea?

• 01-04-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

The BeoMedia actually played full length HD movies perfectly. You just had to install the codecs. The same will be true for the BeoMaster 5, which will retail alone for about the same price as the BeoMedia. The interface will be very similar, though with some better sorting techniques more like the BeoSound 5. And this time the video card can really do the video content justice. 

However, the PUC support makes it possible to connect a huge variety of media centers, so everyone can have what they like.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-04-2009 10:05 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Trip ! Yes -  thumbs up

How can you rip DVD from the PC to the BeoMedia (or BeoMaster) ?

Do you use special software or... ?

• 01-04-2009 11:19 AM In reply to

Here's how I did it:

1. Actually ripping DVDs was such a chore I only did a few. I used Handbrake because you can customize the video type to perfectly match the product. Some are preloaded, like AppleTV & iPod. There was some trial and error, but once you get it you can save it for all future rips.

2. I ended up (gasp!) downloading from mininova.org. I found it easily searchable (once you get a little familiar with some abbreviations) and there are feedback mechanisms built in. I use uTorrent as a torrent client. This is easy and generally quick with the right internet connection. Movies, music, audiobooks, tv shows. It's all there. 

3. No matter how you do it, download or rip, you just set the target location to the BeoMedia under a file in Photo.

4. As for the codecs, you can boot the BeoMedia in Windows and go onto the web and download whichever codecs you need. Once installed on the computer, BeoMedia (the software) will recognize them as native.

I preferred this to using AppleTV simply because I have more control over how to categorize things and what formats I can load on it. I understand you can hack the AppleTV, but for whatever reason I found this easier.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-04-2009 11:28 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

The BeoMedia actually played full length HD movies perfectly. You just had to install the codecs. The same will be true for the BeoMaster 5, which will retail alone for about the same price as the BeoMedia. The interface will be very similar, though with some better sorting techniques more like the BeoSound 5. And this time the video card can really do the video content justice. 

However, the PUC support makes it possible to connect a huge variety of media centers, so everyone can have what they like.  

Beomedia 1 playing HD movies perfect????

I doubt that

Mine does not. And it can only play small quicktime trailers not even medium....

What have you done??

• 01-04-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

@ Mr Andersson ; since you have it, can you please post some pictures and write how you like it with Beosound 5, or did you just get the master.

I would also be interested how happy you are with loading content onto it and if it can play gapless, which I consider important for opera, compilations and DJ mixes.

Cheers 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-04-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

jk1002:

@ Mr Andersson ; since you have it, can you please post some pictures and write how you like it with Beosound 5, or did you just get the master.

I would also be interested how happy you are with loading content onto it and if it can play gapless, which I consider important for opera, compilations and DJ mixes.

Cheers 

I have Beomedia 1 not 5"s

• 01-04-2009 5:09 PM In reply to

steph:

If your a video person, a BM1 or BM5 is already outdated. Only mpeg1 is supported. Do not even think about watching HD-content. You have to go with a 3rd party brand.

That said, the only B&O solution for now (and probably the next x? years) is PUC-control. TVIX 6500 is already supported. The Pocorn Hour A-110 is getting very popular these days, so my guess is it is a matter of time before it will be added to the PUC-list.

A nice program to rip DVD or even blue ray is HD AnyDVD. This is not a conversion tool like Handbrake, but let you watch your content in the way it should.

• 01-04-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

how do you rip your DVDs to a hard drive?

more details please???????? 

• 01-04-2009 10:27 PM In reply to

Mr. Anders Son,

You care correct that "out of the box" the BeoMedia will only play very short .mpg files (and struggles even with them sometimes), but while the hardware may not be ideal, it will play 720p content with the installation of the codecs. Most of what I found was 480p, which looked terrific on the Avant, but occasionally I'd find a DVR rip of 720p that was just spectacular.

So, like I said, if you want to give your BeoMedia a new lease on life, just boot it in windows (I'm sure those instructions can be found on this site), log on to Internet Explorer and visit sites to download codecs just as you would if you were sitting in front of a regular PC. When you restart the machine, the BeoMedia software will play whatever content you've loaded provided the codecs support it.

The reason, as has been explained to me, that B&O don't push this capability further is that just about every way of getting video content onto a media server is illegal. I have no idea what actual exposure they would subject themselves to, but the torrent STB hasn't launched either so they have to twiddle their thumbs and say it's for home movies I suppose. When you think about it, every other stb that delivers digital video, whether it's Netflix, Blockbuster, Movietime, Apple, or whatever is really the access to a service and not a clever storage device that lets you access your video from a couch. Most of those are still "repurposed" devices at this point in time.   

• 01-04-2009 10:32 PM In reply to

mfirst, 

There are several software products devoted to this task. Aside from Kaliedescape, all happen easily on a computer. As I've said, I used handbrake before I realized it was a hell of a lot easier (and no more illegal) to just go to a torrent site and download the file from a peer to peer network.

But basically, the software suite opens up, it recognizes the movie DVD in your drive, you select what type of digital file you want to turn it into (the same as decided whether to rip as MP3 320kbps or WMA or whatever for music) and then hit Go. It sputters and churns and about 30 minutes later you've got yourself a video file of the movie that you can move onto a BeoMedia, onto and AppleTV, onto and iPhone, or whatever else you want to do with it.

Just watch out or movie studios will send assassins to your home and take what is theirs! 

• 12-08-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

• Maurice
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-26-2007
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 56
    • Silver Member

AHHHH at last somone who i can relate too LOL

being the tender age of 50+ i can still recall when "files" were somthing you shaped metal with !!!

and there wasnt even a mention of "downloading" ;-)

BTW wasnt it great when your recording tracks on tape issues could be solved by taping over the corner of the cassette and reusing it time and again ....Sighhhhhhh happy days.....

Regards Maurice

• 12-09-2009 3:18 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

mfirst:

how do you rip your DVDs to a hard drive?

more details please???????? 

As mentioned earlier, AnyDVD and CloneDVD will do just about anything you can think of to do with an original copy.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >