in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2008 8:01 AM by stefan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2008 12:02 PM

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 5 early reviews

Bang & Olufsen's BeoSound 5 lands next year, is pure insanity

by Paul Miller, posted Nov 12th 2008 at 2:25PM 

Bang & Olufsen knows as well as anybody that you can't (usually) compete only on design and quality these days, people want functionality, and the much rumored, newly official BeoSound 5 is just such a monster. The unit is controlled by the BeoSound 5 controller, a rather large "remote" with a 10.4-inch XGA LCD and an aluminum scroll wheel. On the back end there's a 500GB BeoControl 5 music server running Windows XP Embedded with internet connectivity and patent pending intelligent playlist creation. Naturally there are outputs and inputs galore, and it's not just for audio: the box pumps out DVI-I and HDMI, and can play back plenty of video formats. Oh, but then there's the price. B&O isn't budging on this front, with a £3,500 tag (about $5,262 US) for when this hits in March 2009. We'll take two.

[Via SlashGear]

• 11-13-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 5 early reviews

BANG & OLUFSEN

Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5 is a Reasonable Media Controller (For Your Megayacht)

When Bang & Olufsen, maker of very expensive things that use electricity, let slip a photo of their upcoming BeoSound 5 home media controller, I saw a lot of potential. The interface looked nice, the hardware classy, and the screen crisp — in other words, if this thing connected with network music shares and played nice with a variety of home A/V equipment, it could be a winner. Well, we've got our hands on the official announcement, and it looks like we might have been a little optimistic.

The control unit is as stunning as the early, blurry pics had implied. With a sharp 1024x768 screen, a brushed aluminum control knob and an attractive, minimalist interface it would be a treat to use as a home media controller. Unfortunately, if predictably, it is only compatible with one product, which is, you guessed it, a Bang & Olufsen server. Called the 500GB BeoMaster 5, the box is a largely unchanged followup to the company's $2700 BeoMedia media center PC.

• 11-13-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Bang & Olufsen’s BeoSound 5: looks daft, but hey

First, I have this to say about it: if this device works as well as its website, I hope it’s banished to the innermost receses of the earth. Please, web designers: no more autoplaying music and pointless intro videos that show nothing. And especially no music that continues to start up 10 seconds after you stop it, again and again and again. Now, on to the product.

It’s an mp3 jukebox of a form factor that has never been tried: supremely awkward. Apparently composed of a rectangular prism intersecting with an oblique column, this gadget was not created with subtlety in mind. I believe the guts are found in the base, and the control interface uses only that silver disc and the buttons thereupon. Honestly, though, why would you get this? It’s ugly as sin and if you’re going to cough up for a nice central mp3 controller, why not go with a touchscreen, either wireless or embedded? No, this appears to be strictly for attention-seekers and interior designers making a “music room” or something. Feh!
    [via Acquire]

• 11-13-2008 4:56 PM In reply to

'It’s an mp3 jukebox of a form factor that has never been tried: supremely awkward. '

Lovely term of phrase - or is he a left-hander?  Maybe there will be two versions and they will be handed i.e. I'll have a left-handed BS5 or I would like a right-handed BS5.

• 11-14-2008 4:39 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Had the chance to play with the Beosound 5 today. Nice construction, but the user interface is truly awkward and the fact there is no visable feedback via remote controls will mean as a link room product the BS5 will be virtually  useless.

Sorry Struer you'll have to get back to the drawing board and fast!!!

• 11-14-2008 6:07 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

How are these reviews? None of the reviewers have even used one in person! Hence why the latter of them states that control is done via 'the buttons and silver wheel'.

How these people keep their jobs as a journalist/reviewer I really don't know...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-15-2008 3:26 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex, has it arrived at the Bath store yet? It was due Friday.

BTW, these aren't 'reviews'. They are simply news stories from a blog. Most blog entries are just someone's personal opinion of an object or product. Some may have been at the launch though.

• 11-15-2008 8:01 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

KingOfSnake:

'It’s an mp3 jukebox of a form factor that has never been tried: supremely awkward. '

Lovely term of phrase - or is he a left-hander?  Maybe there will be two versions and they will be handed i.e. I'll have a left-handed BS5 or I would like a right-handed BS5.

I think he is a left-hander, otherwise he would not even have noticed that. But I can confirm, that - being a left-hander myself- we can drive cars, use a knife without hurting ourselves, lock doors with a key, and even write letters and use a keyboard. 

Yesterday I had the chance to find out that left-handers even can control a BS5 ! And after a few minutes of trying what the wheels and buttons do ( and this is not very complicated if you have "Beo-experience") it`s pure fun !! It`s a real B&O product and a real Beosound.

Stefan 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)