in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2008 2:40 PM by propaganda. 43 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2008 10:21 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 poll anyone?

Alex:

Although the AirPort Express is not latency free. The BeoLink Wireless accepts an analogue audio input and beams it across your house with zero audible latency. The Apple system has a good few seconds of latency.

WIFI devices that adhere to the 802.11/b/g standard work in the same way.  I have the Beolink wireless setup which does work well most of the time but the switching is annoying.  As more people discover the joys of wireless internet where I live it becomes worse.  I have switched to 802.11n on my Apple wireless network which improved things significantly.  However a wired network is always better.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-24-2008 10:34 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:
    Alex:

Don't confuse WiFi and BeoLink Wireless - the two are really quite different! In fact the BeoLink Wireless is quite a special little piece of kit. Producing a reliable latency free digital transmission system is no easy feat. The BeoLink Wireless works completely differently to say, iTunes streaming over WiFi.

Alex, I think I know a bit about producing devices that adhere to the 802.11b/g standard, which is what the Beolink Wireless device uses. All it does differently is make sure it negotiates a different channel, to avoid transmission issues!

BTW, I have absolutely no issues with streaming audio across my old apartment using Airport Express.

As an absolute minimum I would have expected wireless communication between the BS5 and BM5, where the data being transferred is control data only, there being no need to stream realtime audio data between the two units.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-24-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

Puncher:

As an absolute minimum I would have expected wireless communication between the BS5 and BM5, where the data being transferred is control data only, there being no need to stream realtime audio data between the two units.

You're forgetting the display data - from what I understand, the BS5 is basically just a TFT display and some controls for BM5. Since there's no such thing as wireless DVI, leaving this "ready made" display data out would've required the BS5 to be a substantial computer itself. I believe that apart from the display panel, the electronics in it are now fairly simple, instead of being a laptop of sorts...

Anyway, I also think that the wired connection between these two make it quite a hassle to get a nice looking installation, not to mention you can't then move the BS anywhere.

-mika

• 11-25-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

That's bulls*****

There's plenty of wireless display technologies ... amongst which there's even wireless DVI adapters e.g. from Addlogix

B&O just took the easy and cheap route ...  

have a look here: 

http://www.golem.de/0602/43070-wpr.jpg 

• 11-25-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

And how is power meant to get to the head unit? You can use one of those adapters if you want, it'll just mean the use of a few more adapters.

B&O uses wires because wires work best. I myself have all sorts of issues with wireless, and I'm not exactly in a built up area. Goodness knows how bad it would be in a built up area with modern buildings (thin walls etc...).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-25-2008 4:28 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

And how is power meant to get to the head unit? You can use one of those adapters if you want, it'll just mean the use of a few more adapters.

B&O uses wires because wires work best. I myself have all sorts of issues with wireless, and I'm not exactly in a built up area. Goodness knows how bad it would be in a built up area with modern buildings (thin walls etc...).

I'm with mor, battery powered and wireless is eminently more sensible/useful than being tethered with three cables! I won't accept that it is technically challenging (and certainly not at this price point), as I said we aren't talking about streaming real time audio here, only control and screen data.

Try and tell your beloved Apple that wires work best!

• 11-25-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I see your point, but at the same time, streaming audio isn't the issue here - it's streaming video! Now I haven't actually used any wireless video transmitters, so I can't speak for them, but from my experience, even streaming audio wirelessly is enough of a hassle - hence why my Apple TV is connected to my iMac via a wired network.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-25-2008 4:56 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

I see your point, but at the same time, streaming audio isn't the issue here - it's streaming video! Now I haven't actually used any wireless video transmitters, so I can't speak for them, but from my experience, even streaming audio wirelessly is enough of a hassle - hence why my Apple TV is connected to my iMac via a wired network.

Sorry don't agree, the BS5 could have and should have been wireless. I don't believe that driving the display is a real technical issue.

• 11-25-2008 5:30 PM In reply to

mor:

That's bulls*****

There's plenty of wireless display technologies ... amongst which there's even wireless DVI adapters e.g. from Addlogix

B&O just took the easy and cheap route ...  

have a look here: 

http://www.golem.de/0602/43070-wpr.jpg 

I see a picture of a huge ugly dongle with no mention of its capabilities.

I googled a little, and apparently the Addlogix solution is capable of 9 fps, with no mention of the screen resolution/depth.

-mika

• 11-26-2008 4:01 AM In reply to

Alex:
    but at the same time, streaming audio isn't the issue here - it's streaming video!

If I'm not wrong... BeoSound5 control panel don't show/play "video" on screen, but only some characters lines (data) and picture covers (again data), so no need here of a high wireless realtime flux, but a minimal buffer capacity.

On the other hand, I use since 1996 DameWare and other VNC based softwares to remote control/share xga(1024x768) and even wuxga PC desktops from notebooks via wireless and almost realtime; so don't see a real challenge here.

For the same wireless sharing desktop purposes PTvncWM5 works like a charm in my PocketPC, so this wifi control technology can be easily implemented inside very little devices for years now.

• 11-26-2008 4:09 AM In reply to

BeoBoyLit:

On the other hand, I use since 1996 DameWare and other VNC based softwares to remote control/share xga(1024x768) and even wuxga PC desktops from notebooks via wireless and almost realtime; so don't see a real challenge here.

So do I (and I hate the user interface lag however small it might be), but you miss the point: then you have a computer in your hands, and not a simple display panel.

I'm sure this could've been wireless with some effort, but it's not. Now we just have to deal with it. I see no point in arguing about this...

-mika

• 11-26-2008 4:16 AM In reply to

tournedos:
    and I hate the user interface lag however small it might be

This would be negligible in BeoSound5 control panel situation: BeoMaster5 is "hide away" from users, and data flux flow would be very limited and sporadic. 

tournedos:
    then you have a computer in your hands, and not a simple display panel.

This wifi control technology can be easily implemented inside very little handhelds for years now: so ultra-powerful, heavy and huge laptops are no needed for that purposes.

tournedos:
    I'm sure this could've been wireless with some effort

That's exactly what I'd want say.

They don't put the effort but charge the premium price...  totally agree then Mika.

Puncher:
    the BS5 could have and should have been wireless. I don't believe that driving the display is a real technical issue...    ....I won't accept that it is technically challenging (and certainly not at this price point), as I said we aren't talking about streaming real time audio here, only control and screen data.

Couldn't agree more, sir.

• 11-27-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

I am glad that a lot of you agree here: I did not make reference to the DVI dongle saying THAT piece of equipment should have been used or even been visible. I just wanted to make the point that there WOULD have been ways to have a great wireless experience IF the Beosound 5 would have been mobile with a docking station.

I guess I would have loved that because it would have been the 2 way high-end remote from B&O that we're all waiting for.

Instead we're being offered a static, big, wired, pimped digital music / media player ... for 5000 Euros with a 12+ month delay - presented to the press while still in beta .... 

• 12-06-2008 10:42 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Seeing the pictures, reading the specs etc. I was disappointed about the Beosound 5.

Yesterday I saw it in flesh (do you say it this way in english?) at a local dealer and I was impressed and surprised in a positive way!

It's the thing I want for my music. It's a media terminal with great aluminium wheels and "physical" navigation. It's much more sexy than a touchscreen and even of its size it looks decent enough to integrate fine in your living room. The design is elegant and it has the quality feel that we love from B&O.
    It has no "Samsung" touch.

I realy liked it even if there are some things I wish they would add to the system (elapsed time, repeat, alphabetical search etc.) and I think I'm gonna buy it.
    Sure I can buy a new Apple computer and an iPod touch but it's not the same.
    The Beosound 5 is like a big brother of the Sonos-Controller.

It would be interesting to see how B&O deals with pixel errors on this big screen. Can you imaginge you 5000 Euro Beosound 5 controller having some green and red lit pixels? Oha ... :-)

• 12-14-2008 11:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's an LCD display. I haven't seen faulty pixels on an LCD display in about 2 years.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-14-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Alex:

It's an LCD display. I haven't seen faulty pixels on an LCD display in about 2 years.

I saw the last one last year on a Macbook Pro ... so it would be nice to know how B&O will handle this.

In my opinion at this pricepoint I'll insist on an absolute perfect product.

• 12-14-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

Yes that is an interesting point and would that be a swop out for a new display?.... If some pixels became faulty sometime after use? and  If they were visable in the Center of the screen would drive me mad and £3,700 is not Cheap for the unit.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 12-14-2008 2:05 PM In reply to

dead pixel thread from a week ago
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 12-14-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

Any "always on" pixels would be highly visible on the BS5 due to the black background. Not sure if this will be an issue though.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2