in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2008 6:48 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2008 2:52 AM

• Scud
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-12-2008
    • Australia
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

subwoofer needed?

Hi guys; 

just wanting to get your thoughts... would you recommend a subwoofer, something like the beolab 2 if i were using 2 BeoLab 9's, 2 BeoVox 1's and had it all connected to a beovision 7? Would i notice any difference with/without the beolab 2?

thanks in advance! 

• 11-12-2008 4:43 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: subwoofer needed?

Although I havent heard the beolab 9 in a sourround setup, I would say no. The beolab 9 has a nice amount of bass in my oppinion, you would only hear a (small) differense in some action-movies with alot of explosions ect.

br

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 11-12-2008 7:47 AM In reply to

There is a big difference with or without the Beolab 2. There is a profound deep sound in BeoLab 9 but with a BeoLab 2 they sound even better.

It sounds like youre having a surround setup and in this configuration its important with a good center speaker(BeoLab 7-4/BeoLab 10) and a subwoofer(BeoLab2)

Go to a Bang & Olufsen who has the setup connected so you can choose first to hear it without the BL2 and then with.. I am sure you will buy the BeoLab 2 on the spot..Wink

H

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 11-12-2008 1:12 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Sonically I prefer the BeoLab 9s without the BeoLab 2. The BeoLab 2 performs well, but the BeoLab 9s are so stunningly good across the complete frequency range that IMO the BeoLab 2 tends to confuse things sonically.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-12-2008 1:17 PM In reply to

One question:

Is there any alternative to BeoLab2 ? Maybe some other manufacturer who will fit in to beolink system ? Of course active woofer .

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 11-12-2008 4:14 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

nmartin771:

One question:

Is there any alternative to BeoLab2 ? Maybe some other manufacturer who will fit in to beolink system ? Of course active woofer .

There are few members who use a B&W PV1 I believe.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-12-2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I have heard the BL9 at my dealer's with and without BL2. To me, they sound better with BL2, especially with movies. Ask your dealer to lend you a BL2 for a couple of days, so you can compare the setup at home.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-13-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

I have bought a lab 2 to go with my lab 9s, but after one week I decided to move the lab 2 up stairs with lab 6000s.

Even though it does enhance the bass during playback, but I found it unnecessary due to the size of my living room, and I actually prefer the sound experience of the 9s without the 2.

You should ask your dealer to lend u a lab 2 and try it out before buying.

Cheers, 

• 11-13-2008 10:21 AM In reply to

• Westlander
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Monster, the Netherlands
    • Posts 64
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 2 starts at 20 Hz, Beolab 9 starts at 25 Hz I thought.

To me I find it not worth paying  € 3000,00 for a Beolab 2, knowing the difference in sound experience between Beolabs 9 with BL2  / Beolabs 9 without BL2

Paul

• 11-13-2008 5:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Don't just go by numbers! B&O states the BeoLab 2 'starts' at 23 Hz, and the BeoLab 9s at 30 Hz, but they don't state what the tolerance is on the readings. This also doesn't tell you anything about the 'definition' of the bass and it's linearity (something you could only really tell from waterfall plots).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-14-2008 7:28 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

From my point of view the performance of beolab 2 is not good enough to support a lab 9. Not in regards to deepnes of the bass or size. When I owned a lab 2 I found it quite hard to setup the subwoofer with the very limited options given by B&O. So I sold it.

I would (if you think a sub is needed) consider a subwoofer like the Velodyne's, they can be adjusted to the room like a Beolab5.

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 11-15-2008 6:48 AM In reply to

I love this sort of topic - sound quality is partly about perception, hence all the different views....

Basically, I would suggest that you try to arrange a loan of both a Beolab 2 and a non-B&O sub (eg. Miller and Kreisel, B&W, etc.)  Compare the sound of each set up with both music and movies.  Also try different settings on the positioning switches, both on the Beolab 9's and the Beolab 2.  The instructions on these are really meant as a starting point, as every listening room is different.

More bass is not always better bass, although if you like action movies you may disagree!  The Beolab 9 produces a lovely tight, deep bass that feels like it is part of the music when the speakers are set up right, whereas in some rooms a separate sub can often seem to be detatched from the rest of the sound.  Also bear in mind that the Beolab 2 does not have many of the controls that are fitted to other subs, eg. phase, depth, cross-over point, etc, which often help with integrating a sub into your listening room properly.  Don't get me wrong, the Lab 2 is a good sub, but I think it's lack of controls can make it less suitable for some listening rooms.

Basically, try all the options and let your ears make the final decision!

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)