in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-14-2008 1:29 AM by erg4000. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2008 2:20 AM

BeoSound 5 - desig, no thank U

When I see the new BeoSound 5 I simply can not like this design, I think I will keep my BeoSound 9000 MKIII for a long time, and for a 1/2 of Beoound 5 money buy a new I-Mac with 1 Tera of hard disc space + BeoPort, then I have CD playback, terestrial radio, internet radio and MP3 playback via BeoPort and a stylish ever green design of BeoSound 9000. No matter if MP3 names are not displayed on BS9000, but I will still have at least 2.500,- in my pocketSmile

• 11-12-2008 2:35 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoSound 5 - desig, no thank U

So what to do ? Television get thinner and thinner >> less to design

Audio goes digital >> less to design

The BS5 is a way to simple looking .Its not my taste 

• 11-12-2008 2:45 AM In reply to

One solution woul be a media centre incl. video+audio and a master unit for PC connection, all in one, no separate audio unit. Eeverything could be displayed on TV monitor.
  • 11-12-2008 2:47 AM In reply to

avus17:
    No matter if MP3 names are not displayed on BS9000
    Well if you are using a Mac with Beolink PC 2 and BM-Link, you'll see the MP3 name on the BS9000!

And... if you connect an IR eye on the Beolink PC2, you can use Coverflow and Frontrow!

• 11-12-2008 2:56 AM In reply to

Well that's good news, so MP3 names can then be displayed on BS9000, so no need for expensive BS5.
  • 11-12-2008 3:04 AM In reply to

avus17:
    Well that's good news, so MP3 names can then be displayed on BS9000, so no need for expensive BS5.
    Yes,it is a good solution, and if you have an iPod touch/iPhone, you can use it as a 2 way remote control...

Another solution if you have a B&O TV with STB-C it the Apple TV.

That said I suggest we try and touch the BS5 before we poopoo it. We all hated the Beolab9 before we had seen it in the flesh.

• 11-12-2008 4:32 AM In reply to

avus17:

When I see the new BeoSound 5 I simply can not like this design

avus17 please see there is now a brand new beosound5 sub-forum specially created for this kind of post, which is out of place here, isn't it?

You'd be the first to be glad with that new sub-forum Mr. Vid Dobnikar, 'cause you've started 14 different threads about BSound5 :

BeoSound 5 - desig, no thank U
    BeoSound 5 - where are the pics?
    BeoSound 5 price this can not be true?
    BeoSound 5 Design Update
    BeoSound 5 + BeoSoun 9000
    BeoSound 5 + BeoVision 9 combination
    BeoVision 9 and BeoSound/Master 5
    BeoSound 9000 or BeoSound 5
    What will happen with BS9000
    What is BeoSound 5 needed for?
    BeoSound 5 output
    BeoSound 5 Photos
    BeoSound 5 and music loading
    Beosound 5/BeoCenter 5

• 11-12-2008 4:53 AM In reply to

• amunk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-19-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Will the same apply for the Beosound 3000?
  • 11-12-2008 5:52 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

As I said in another thread, I quite like the design of the BS5 hardware, but am not a big fan of the user-interface, from the images. I'll make a final decision on that when it reaches my local dealer.

However, there are other issues for me. I would want the BS5 to ship with a stackable BM5 that you could chain together. I'd want it to support the playback of DVD video so I can backup my DVDs to the BM5 and then use this device to show videos and photos through the TV and audio as a standalone device. I want a cheap basic two-way remote so I can see the content without having to leave my chair or go in to the next room.

I think a lot of people on here are so engrossed in B&O that they'll buy simply as it's new B&O kit. New kit always has to add value to my life and my existing setup. Although I have a ton of B&O kit, it's all proved useful, so far. The BS5, for £3800, is going to have to tick most if not all my boxes for me to add it to my collection.

• 11-12-2008 6:38 AM In reply to

Sorry to do that.=)
  • 11-12-2008 6:47 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    I would want the BS5 to ship with a stackable BM5 that you could chain together. I'd want it to support the playback of DVD video so I can backup my DVDs to the BM5
    The DRM in DVDs prevent B&O and any other brand from selling a plug and play solution that does that. That said, the HDR1 or HDR2 allow you to record and store your DVDs on their Hard Drive. But the signal is converted to analog video and stereo audio before it is recorded.
  • 11-12-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

The Beosound 5 looks great on the wall, but not on the stand. I think the design is simple and not bad at all, but a rounded lcd screen would have looked better.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 11-12-2008 7:47 AM In reply to

I agree completely. I had hoped that B&O would have used a design to complement the BeoCenter 2. The sharp edges seem to be consistent with the design of the Beo5 screen.
  • 11-12-2008 8:32 AM In reply to

£4k and you can't connect an ipod to it

oh dear

for that i can get a mac / sony av set up that would wipe the floor with this thing 

popgear is grate™

• 11-12-2008 9:01 AM In reply to

Big Smile

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 11-12-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

avus17:

When I see the new BeoSound 5 I simply can not like this design, I think I will keep my BeoSound 9000 MKIII for a long time, and for a 1/2 of Beoound 5 money buy a new I-Mac with 1 Tera of hard disc space + BeoPort, then I have CD playback, terestrial radio, internet radio and MP3 playback via BeoPort and a stylish ever green design of BeoSound 9000. No matter if MP3 names are not displayed on BS9000, but I will still have at least 2.500,- in my pocketSmile

Agree completely. Connect a Mac Mini to a BV screen, and there you have it. A Web/Media Center more flexible than this new Olufsen product. hell, connect an Elgato EyeTV as well as an external HD to the Mini, and you have an even better media / entertainment solution. Me too, I'll keep my BS9000 MkIII for a long time. I ask again, and again: what does the Beosound 5 do, or how does the Beosound 5 make my life a little better? The BS9000 is "just" a CD player, but yet it is a system master, and operating it engages the user in the elegance of B&O. It remains to be seen if the BS5 can provide that same experience. At a cost they're charging, it better... or I smell doom for B&O in the media/net savvy market into which they're trying to forge inroads. -Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 11-12-2008 9:39 AM In reply to

ok...

i have about a million things to say, but...
    i thought several months ago it would be a bust -got a little excited prior to launch -and now reality has set in.

i will jump over a lot of thoughts and make it simple: for similar money -buy mint "previously enjoyed" kit. specifically: 32 avant / bs9000 / 2 pair bl4000 / beo4.
    now, ML/PL it all together +add an airport express and an ipod touch w/ the remote app.

last, spend the significant leftover change on a few jugs of your favorite vino. sit back in your comfy chair and enjoy!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-12-2008 10:18 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:
    moxxey:
    I would want the BS5 to ship with a stackable BM5 that you could chain together. I'd want it to support the playback of DVD video so I can backup my DVDs to the BM5
    The DRM in DVDs prevent B&O and any other brand from selling a plug and play solution that does that. That said, the HDR1 or HDR2 allow you to record and store your DVDs on their Hard Drive. But the signal is converted to analog video and stereo audio before it is recorded.

Not quite Phil. I'm not asking B&O to provide the ripping technology. They don't do that with your audio, either! Who says, for example, everyone's audio tracks will be legit?

However, B&O are able to license MPEG4 codecs etc which enable a ripped DVD to play through the device in the same manner you could play this back via your DVD player in the BV7.

• 11-12-2008 11:47 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

amunk:
    Will the same apply for the Beosound 3000?

Yep, the same applies for the Beosound 3000 but the display of the BS3000 is worse than that of the BS9000, so you can't read any text as it supports only a small text amount and it does not scroll the text.
    I either don't know if it scrolls the text on a BS9000.

But as already told: It simply works :-)

You can get a Beo 5 remote and use the great Apple template from Keith to control your  Mac, iPod, Apple-TV directly(!)  without any  STB etc.

• 11-12-2008 1:22 PM In reply to

The basic idea behind the Beosound 5 isn't bad but it has some design issues that ruin it for me.

• I don't like the way the plastic of the back of the display sits next to the glass of the display
    • The 3 buttons inside the round controller look out of place. I would have preferred touch-sensitive aluminium like is used on the Beocenter 2
    • The table stand looks unresolved with the little round flap
    • why is the cylinder not entirely made of aluminium
    • There's simply no excuse for the floorstand

Come on B&O, try harder...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-12-2008 1:39 PM In reply to

"Agree completely. Connect a Mac Mini to a BV screen, and there you have it. A Web/Media Center more flexible than this new Olufsen product. hell, connect an Elgato EyeTV as well as an external HD to the Mini, and you have an even better media / entertainment solution. Me too, I'll keep my BS9000 MkIII for a long time. I ask again, and again: what does the Beosound 5 do, or how does the Beosound 5 make my life a little better? The BS9000 is "just" a CD player, but yet it is a system master, and operating it engages the user in the elegance of B&O. It remains to be seen if the BS5 can provide that same experience. At a cost they're charging, it better... or I smell doom for B&O in the media/net savvy market into which they're trying to forge inroads. -Sal"

But not the same touch of elegance I must say 

okänt.gif

• 11-12-2008 1:42 PM In reply to

beocool:
    • There's simply no excuse for the floorstand

Why so reluctant? The thing is downright disastrous.

• 11-12-2008 3:43 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I may have come across as hard in other posts, I quite like the BS5 design (not the floor stand) but it is extraordinarily expensive as an interface - it doesn't actually do anything on its own - it's a set of navigation buttons and a display! The heart of this (and the future of the system to me) is the BM5 - will it be able to stream audio and video (even if it's in the (near) future) around the ethernet connection to multiple "receivers" and surpass the possiblities of Masterlink etc. I really hope the masterlink/powerlink connections are for legacy reasons and the future product (and control) is wireless/ethernet based.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-14-2008 1:29 AM In reply to

There is already a solution. It's called Apple TV (270 $).
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)