in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2010 5:11 PM by Razlaw. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-11-2008 2:26 PM

Beo4 with Sony BDP-S550

Hi All,

I've just bought the new Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray player and am having dramas trying to get the 'select' to work. This worked on my old BDP (original model) however with this one i'm unable to select with the 'Go' button on my Beo4. I've tried double/single presses. It appears that if i press 'Go' four times the 'Play icon' is displayed, not sure if that helps. 

Does anyone have experience with this? I've tried both BDP-XXXX and BDP-3000/3300 through Options on my BS3 but no joy.

Does it sound like a new PUK is in order??

Thanks,

Ash.

Beosystem 3, Beosound 4, Beolab 9, Beolab 3, Beolab 8000

• 11-11-2008 3:38 PM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Re: Beo4 with Sony BDP-S550

Hi,

I have a Sony BDP-S350 BR player and controlling it with a Beo4 works quite fine. I have my BS3 configured for a Sony BDP-S300. Take a look and check if your BS3 has that player installed.

The only problems I have is, that a few keys from the original remote are not supported by the puc setting I use. The key most missed, is the DISPLAY key.

Greetings

msinn

• 11-11-2008 3:39 PM In reply to

I have the new BDP-S550 though, which is the one i'm having issues with.....

• 11-11-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Hi apearce,

the BDP-S350 and BDP-S550 are the two new Blu-Ray players from Sony and they use the same remote.

Greetings

msinn

• 11-12-2008 4:13 AM In reply to

Apologies, i didn't realise they were the same remote.

Do you mind explaining where you have your IR, i've played around with moving it and i get mixed results.

Also, when you browse the BDP menu (PS3 like menu), do you have to press left and right twice for them to work or just once?

It could be my placement of the IR transmitter that could be causing this.

Thanks,

Ash.

• 01-06-2009 8:07 AM In reply to

Hi,

I bought the BDP-S350 yesterday. I have now the same result. I have to press the buttons twice. And the player does not switch on if I select the source (DVD in my case). Maybe I have to install a Ypbr cable as well? Does anybody has some experience with the SONY blu-ray players?

Happy new year

Frank

• 01-06-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

• GoBeo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Sony nearly always marks the IR sensor with an R in a square. On the BDP-S550 this is below the 24p indicator light. Try the emitter there.

Joe

• 01-06-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

frank2u:

Hi,

I bought the BDP-S350 yesterday. I have now the same result. I have to press the buttons twice. And the player does not switch on if I select the source (DVD in my case). Maybe I have to install a Ypbr cable as well? Does anybody has some experience with the SONY blu-ray players?

Happy new year

Frank

We have the BDP-S300. It also will not switch on when changing sources. It will only switch on if the BV7 is off and I press V. Aux to turn both the BV7 and player on.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 01-08-2009 10:48 AM In reply to

Hi,

thank you for the help.
    I tried the sensor in several positions, always the same.
    However my dealer came to me programmed the PUC again and it works. But when I switched on the system again, same effect. I have to press the buttons twice. Very annoying.
    Can anyone confirm that one of the SONY blu-ray players (S300, S350, S500, S550) can be controlled with the PUC in a normal way?

Thank you
    Frank

• 01-17-2009 2:17 AM In reply to

Hallo,

I found a solution to control the SONY blu-ray with the PUC. But you have to edit the xml file in the ServiceTool. There is a line with NumSignalReps. You have to update the value to 2.

NumSignalReps=2

Then it will work. But this means that it can not work without that. So I wonder if anybody can control a SONY blu-ray in a way it should work.

Frank 

• 01-17-2009 1:03 PM In reply to

Interesting. I'm using 5 of the S550s in my new shop with every current model of television. No double presses needed for any action.  

The only thing that I notice is that there is a latency that I have not experienced with Samsungs or Panasonics. I can imagine that eager fingers might press 2-3 times before the initial press has taken effect. 

See if this helps anyone. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-17-2009 1:25 PM In reply to

I have the Sony's too and I must say that it is a piece of junk. I am so going to get a new Blu ray player. Do you know that sometimes the player hangs without a reason while playing back your movie? Also it is shockingly slow. Thank god I got it for free when I got my tv though. 
  • 01-17-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Interesting. I'm using 5 of the S550s in my new shop with every current model of television. No double presses needed for any action.  

The only thing that I notice is that there is a latency that I have not experienced with Samsungs or Panasonics. I can imagine that eager fingers might press 2-3 times before the initial press has taken effect. 

See if this helps anyone. 

Does the S550 turn on when switching sources? Does it turn off?  I am thinking of upgrading the S550. I currently have the S300 and it will only turn on if the TV is off, not when switching from satellite for instance. Also, it will not turn off. To turn it off I press STOP and have the internal settings on the Sony programmed such that after a period of inactivity it turns off.

• 01-17-2009 7:56 PM In reply to

Razlaw, though I didn't experience the double click issue, I would not recommend these to anyone. I'm not sure there's such thing as a "good" player having experienced all the big names either at home or in my shops. I would say a nice simple Samsung is the best bet. BDP-1400 and later seem to be reasonably quick and work well with B&O with a minimum of menu intrusion or complication. Sony & Panasonic seem to be sluggish and like to assert their presence with lots of menus, icons, and other garbage. 

People keep talking about the PS3 as a good player, so maybe I'll relent and allow a video game console near me to test it out! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-18-2009 3:59 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

People keep talking about the PS3 as a good player, so maybe I'll relent and allow a video game console near me to test it out! 

Unfortunately it is. It's very quiet too. Problem is that it lacks infrared so can't be controlled by the Beo4/5. I have to use the Sony Blu-ray remote.

• 02-20-2009 7:34 AM In reply to

frank2u:

Hallo,

I found a solution to control the SONY blu-ray with the PUC. But you have to edit the xml file in the ServiceTool. There is a line with NumSignalReps. You have to update the value to 2.

NumSignalReps=2

Then it will work. But this means that it can not work without that. So I wonder if anybody can control a SONY blu-ray in a way it should work.

Frank 

Isn't changing that value just automating the double click? I guess that would be a work-around however i have trouble with being able to pause/stop. Frank are you able to have full control whilst in the movie (play/pause/stop/fwd/rwd)?

• 02-20-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

Hallo,

yes and no, as I had im my mind the SONY protocol is only valid after two or more telegrams. So I did some research in that direction. When you set this value it will work. I have full control. Everything is working.

Frank

• 02-20-2009 1:17 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Razlaw, though I didn't experience the double click issue, I would not recommend these to anyone. I'm not sure there's such thing as a "good" player having experienced all the big names either at home or in my shops. I would say a nice simple Samsung is the best bet. BDP-1400 and later seem to be reasonably quick and work well with B&O with a minimum of menu intrusion or complication. Sony & Panasonic seem to be sluggish and like to assert their presence with lots of menus, icons, and other garbage. 

I have a samsung bdp-1500 and it's the only one that reads all blu-ray disks so far. I did try a sony (went back to the store next day because of it couldn't read all disks.) and panasonic (just to complicated for me and a pain for integration into a setup)
    I did have a chance to check the latest pioneer one (gives good image and terrific sound) but the price difference of 188$ for the samsung and just over 500$ for the pioneer made the choice alot easier .....

Blu-ray is still a works in progress for now so that upgrading the samsung in a couple of years to the latest standard will be easy and not a big waste of money anyways...

Did not try the PS3 as I do not have any interest in gaming .

Anyways..... just my opinion

Kindest regards,

O. 

• 02-20-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

apearce:

frank2u:

Hallo,

NumSignalReps=2

Frank 

Isn't changing that value just automating the double click? I guess that would be a work-around however i have trouble with being able to pause/stop. Frank are you able to have full control whilst in the movie (play/pause/stop/fwd/rwd)?

I am using the BDP-S550 with our BV7. All functions work with the Beo 4.

STOP pauses and restarts,  GO and up/down/left/right does fast forward, rewind and chapter skip.

I can not, however, turn the 550 off with the Beo 4.

• 01-22-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

Had an interesting experience with the BDP-S550 and Beo 4 yesterday and today. I had not experienced the need to press commands twice as mentioned here. One press was working fine for me. Last night I was checking a new functions I had learned ( GO 9   power) and checking other functions in anticipation of getting a Beo 5. At some point the system began requiring the double click for all functions. I could not get it to work as it had. Today we had a power surge and the surge protector shut down the system. Upon turning it on all was back to normal, single clicks worked fine. I then changed a setting for our DVR and suddenly the 550 needed double clicks again. Unplugged entire system and all is well again, single clicks work fine.

All functions seem to be working now, GO 9 works to manually power on and off and the player is now turning on and off automatically at source change or system off.

• 01-23-2010 4:10 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

moxxey:

TripEnglish:

Unfortunately it is. It's very quiet too. Problem is that it lacks infrared so can't be controlled by the Beo4/5. I have to use the Sony Blu-ray remote.

You can simply get the RE-BL converter from wb_electronics. And then you can control the PS3 via Beo 5 easy and comfortable!

see my thread here:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/31328.aspx

• 01-23-2010 11:03 AM In reply to

Double click problem has returned. Unplugging the system causes it to return to single click working....very strange.

• 01-24-2010 10:27 AM In reply to

Have had to unplug the system several times to fix the double clicking problem but eventually it returns. Any thoughts?

• 01-24-2010 1:05 PM In reply to

Hallo Razlaw,

The double click problem was caused from an incorrect PUC file that came with the Service Tool. The SONY bluray player needs the command twice to react. There is an entry in the appropriate PUC file (Sony_DVD_BDP300_V01,10a.dec) which seemed to be incorrect. I figured this out with my dealer nearly one year ago. Not sure if the problem still exists if the dealer now updates the ServiceTool. You or your dealer can search for the file and change the entry to NumSignalReps=2. Afterwards build your PUC again (with all your devices) and upload it to your system.

Good luck, Frank

• 01-24-2010 1:27 PM In reply to

Thanks!  But if it is a problem in the puc, how come the player has worked fine with single clicks for the past year? Why would the problem just occur now?  And also, when the problem does occur now, if I unplug the system and the plug back in the problem is gone. Everything works fine with single clicks and then after awhile it goes back to double clicks? 

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >