in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-11-2008 9:49 AM by Dave Moulton. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2008 11:48 AM

BeoLab 5 speakers in concert

At the beginning of November, noted conductor Paul Henry Smith introduced his Fauxharmonic Orchestra to the public, conducting some standard repertoire performed by BeoLab 5s and Fauxharmonic software.  Three concerts (in Baltimore and New York) were given, and details are provided below.  

I was pleased and honored to be able to provide some technical assistance for this effort, and was really glad that B&O of USA was able to help out with a loan of speakers.  Hopefully, there will be much more.  Paul Henry Smith is a very talented guy!  

FYI:

Press coverage

Stereophile <
    http://www.stereophile.com/news/110308faux/>
    [This article includes detailed writing about the BeoLab 5s, including product photo]

"Smith calls the BeoLab 5s 'the missing element to this live performance . . . the instruments of the digital orchestra.'"

"Mr. Smith demonstrated how the Fauxharmonic works by playing Johann Strauss’s “Pizzicato Polka” through his computer twice. Initially he exerted no influence; the music, heard through high-end speakers that looked like conical pagodas, sounded crisp and realistic but lacked inflection. Mr. Smith waved his controller the second time, making the music flex and breathe, and shifted his stance to amplify invisible violin and cello sections in turn.
    The demonstration was genuinely impressive."

"Of course, there won't actually be a bunch of violinists sitting to his left on the stage. Just space. And sound, emerging from state-of-the-art speakers lent by Bang & Olufsen for the occasion."

This article also appeared in: The Orlando Sentinel, <
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/bal-to.bcooct28,0,3682440.story>  The Hartford Courant <http://www.courant.com/topic/bal-to.bcooct28,0,3768722.story?track=rss-topicgallery> ,

National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" was very interested in covering the event but could not spare a reporter due to the election coverage demands.  However, today they contacted me to ask when we will have another event like this one.  They really want to do something on it.  They reach 13 million listeners daily, so I think this would be a great opportunity to pursue for covering my upcoming concerts.

I hope this is of interest.  

Best regards,
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 11-10-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 5 speakers in concert

Thank you for posting that Dave. Makes me want a pair even more but I am about to invest in a trumpet instead! Hopefully one day, it will make a sound worthy to be played via BL5s!
  • 11-10-2008 4:21 PM In reply to

Yeah, thanks for this one. Very interesting.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-10-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

Hi Dave,

Very interesting articles. It shows how far digital music have come..

I would pay to hear a BeoLab 5 concert any time..Wink

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 11-10-2008 5:58 PM In reply to

Thanks for the information.  Please let us know when there will be another event.

Beolab 5 is at the top of my must have list! 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-10-2008 7:12 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thanks for this Dave. Very interesting indeed.
    I especially like the phrase that Smith used
    "Never before has there been an instrument like a BeoLab 5 loudspeaker."
    Fits nicely with the phrase I have heard you say describing your work with "loudspeaker music"

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-10-2008 7:42 PM In reply to

Sorry I missed it!  Would have luved to have experienced the *concert*.  Maybe we can find out more info in advance?

Barry

• 11-11-2008 4:58 AM In reply to

• tc
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

I note in the Stereophile review that

"Sometime next summer, LaCarrubba's Sausalito Audio expects to announce high-end, in-ceiling loudspeakers that incorporate Acoustic Lens technology."

I wonder if these will be B&O?

Adrian. 
  • 11-11-2008 8:29 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Something is making me doubt that...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-11-2008 8:35 AM In reply to

As far as I've been informed, B&O have exclusive rights to acoustic lens technology.

• 11-11-2008 8:41 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

But that is maybe only for a limited period?

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 11-11-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

tc wrote:

I note in the Stereophile review that

"Sometime next summer, LaCarrubba's Sausalito Audio expects to announce high-end, in-ceiling loudspeakers that incorporate Acoustic Lens technology."

I wonder if these will be B&O?

Adrian. 

I can't say too much about this, but, yes, we are working on "architectural" speakers (in-wall and in-ceiling) that are very high-performance and that use the Acoustic Lens (which we have licensed back from B&O for this application).  If the current financial turmoil allows, we expect to roll them out next summer or fall.  I think they are tremendous!  

They are Sausalito Audio products.  However, we have continued to share R&D with B&O.  Beyond that, I can't tell you anything more about plans.  Sorry!  However, when the time is right  .  .  .

Best regards,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)