in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2008 8:13 AM by Friedmett. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2008 1:07 PM

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Questions regarding BM 8000, BG 8000, BC 8002 and Remote

Greetings everyone in Beoland,

Just joining the group, I've been a B&O enthusist from back in the early 80's even before I owned a system. I was lounging out at my girlfriends house in Michigan, in the livingroom and the sterio system just came on on its own. I asked my girlfriend what caused the sterio to come on on its own and she informed me that it had been malfunctioning and doing that for sometime. I walked over to the system itself, took one look, dumped the girl, went home to Boston and purchased my very first system the Beomaster 3300 with wall mount and some CX 100 speakers. (Just kidding about dumping the girl). My point is I fell in love with B&O and I'm still with her. I've gone through the Beocenter 9500 with RL 60.2's, Two complete Beovision 5000 systems, Beolab Penta's, Beoremote 7000. Once I had kids I sold the 9500 system and purchased the 4500 Beosystem to hang on the wall with BeoLab 5000 panel speakers and Beomaster 5000 with two way software. Currently I sitting in my livingroom with my Avant TV hooked up to my 2500 system connected to Beolab 8000's.  Yes, I've had it all and loved every minute of it. Thank you Bang and Olufsen.

Now to my question I just aquired an Old Beomaster 8000 system that really is in pristine shape. I'll be taking to my "guy" for service and tune up but I thought I'd tell you all what I am dealing with. After plugging everything in the standby lights come on, the displays are bright showing the P numbers, TP, PH, volume, it's beautiful, but when I plug in some speakers I get nothing. Any Idea what would be going on, the system looks like it should work but no sound comes out of it. I hooked the Beogram 8000 up and everything again turns on, runs and I can even hear the music playing over at the turntable, (weird) but again no sound out of the speakers, now obliously this has to do with the Beomaster itself so I guess I just need to have that looked at first. Then, after checking out the turntable I noticed the access door that opens up to where the needle is stored has the adhesive tape dissingrated and the plate around the turntable also has desinagrated adhesive. So does anyone know how to remove and replace this adheasive tape?  I'm sure everyones saying, " if these are all the problems you having your in good shape. I'm very excited to get this system up and running. Appreciate any advise anyone has and look forward to being apart of the community.

Best regards,

Dave

Filed under:
  • 11-09-2008 1:47 PM In reply to

Re: Questions regarding BM 8000, BG 8000, BC 8002 and Remote

Have you connected the speakers to the upper inputs left and right on each side of the Beomaster?

After that pushed the speaker pair 1 button on? It's located to left just between the cooling and display glass.

I don't know what tape you are referring too even though I nearly got the same system as you.

• 11-09-2008 3:15 PM In reply to

Dave

Friedmett has a good point - have you connected your DIN plugs to the speaker 1 sockets, and clearly selected the speaker one output from the slider switch between the display glass and the cooling fin?

Also, the tape issue on the smaller flap of the Beogram is a known one. I had the same problem with mine. Some strong, thin double sided tape or epoxy resin should sort that out for you. 

Nice system you have (I have one too) and well worth investing some time and money in to sort out :) 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-09-2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

When I have speaker problems, I always connect some headphones into the socket on the front.  If those don't work, then there is usually a more serious problem.  When there is sound at the headphones, the speakers are not too far away from working and that could be something simple like the use of the incorrect socket or a misplaced switch.

Regards

Geoff 

• 11-09-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

Agree with checking the speaker switches. Try using some headphones as well. The double sided tape all needs to be removed - it also holds the platter surround on and this will go at some time! I used an alcohol cleaner and a lot of time! To fix it back I use two pack epoxy - I have done 4 of these now! These are great systems - I have a later one with Beomaster 8000, Beogram 8002 and Beocord 9000 with MS150s. Probably the best sounding system made by B&O with very little compromise. I just wish they had used less plastic which ages with time.
  • 11-09-2008 8:21 PM In reply to

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Thanks guys for such quick responses. Yes I did connect the speakers then threw the switch to speaker 1, I even checked the sockets for speakers 2 and through the speaker 2 switch. I will now go and check the headphone jack and let everyone know how I make out. Alcohol to remove the old disinagrated tape and then I will again check with a local adhesive company to see what they have in the range of double sided tape.

Dave

• 11-09-2008 8:53 PM In reply to

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Thanks to you all, just checked the system with a set of headphones and no sound. Darn, the system looks so good, lights and all. I also noticed when I move the tuning knob the frequency gauge does not seem to move when turning. I guess I will just have to take it to my people tommorow and let them diagnosis it. The two sided tape that has desinagrate, I will carefully work with the alcohol to remove the old and then find some new double sided, thin, strong new stuff. Thanks and any other comments will be appreciated, I'll keep you all informed when I get this puppy running.

Dave

• 11-10-2008 3:06 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

That the displays light up is no guarantee that the amplifier stages are powered. Any faults in these will cause the safety circuit to kick in. In this case, the Beomaster 8000 will power up with a series of 3-4 relay clicks rather than the normal 2, depending on the fault it may even give a brief flash of the "clipping" lamp.

The "simplest" little fault, like a bad idle current trimmer, can cause this. Grab a capacitor kit and have them replace the lot while at it.

Martin

• 11-10-2008 7:36 AM In reply to

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Sounds like very good advise, as a matter of fact I do remember a clipping light coming on briefly. Ah! "capacitor kit" where do I get this kit from. Will B&O in the states be able to obtain for me? How much?

Dave

• 11-10-2008 8:13 AM In reply to

Dillen is the only one who has the cap kits. B&O does not really care about old products at all.

Send a pm to Dillen before he sends you one.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)