in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2008 4:30 AM by tournedos. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2008 12:46 PM

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Sony BR in BV7

Did I read that a Sony BR will be placed in the new BV7-40 BR ?!
  • 11-09-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: Sony BR in BV7

Yeah, why not a Sony Playstation 3! Cool

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 11-09-2008 3:56 PM In reply to

Without wishing to squash the thread, why on earth would anybody pay to have an internal Blu-Ray drive in a Beovision 7 for an additional £7000 when there are such fabulous Blu-Ray products available for a third of the price - such as the PS3 - which offer a host more features and functionality than a bog-standard Blu-Ray DVD drive?

• 11-09-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

Why does anyone buy B&O when Sony make a good range of audio equipment themselves? Cool
  • 11-10-2008 1:54 AM In reply to

Was that directed at my post?!!!!!  I thought the discussion was about the (possible) internal component of a BV7-40 and paying an exhorbitant price for it.  There is one thing paying the extra for B&O style and design and another about being just plain silly (IMHO) surely? 
  • 11-10-2008 3:33 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

I would much rather have an internal DVD, than an external. The up-scaling in BS3 can be customized and completely matched to the DVD, which could provide a better result.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 11-10-2008 5:27 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Christian:

I would much rather have an internal DVD, than an external. The up-scaling in BS3 can be customized and completely matched to the DVD, which could provide a better result.

True, but you don't need to up-scale Blu-ray DVDs, so playback via the Playstation 3 or other external device is fine. I might go for the internal Blu-ray player if it's £400 as people have stated though. Any more - ie. if we have to pay for engineering time etc - and I might as well just use the PS3.

• 11-10-2008 7:16 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

KingOfSnake:

Without wishing to squash the thread, why on earth would anybody pay to have an internal Blu-Ray drive in a Beovision 7 for an additional £7000 when there are such fabulous Blu-Ray products available for a third of the price - such as the PS3 - which offer a host more features and functionality than a bog-standard Blu-Ray DVD drive?

And how on earth can I use these fabulous products in linkrooms - did you think of that when you talk about  "more features and functionality"?

Stefan 

• 11-10-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

stefan:
    KingOfSnake:

And how on earth can I use these fabulous products in linkrooms - did you think of that when you talk about  "more features and functionality"?

Stefan 

Isn't the external PS3 controlled by the PUC on the Beosystem 3 allowing control from link rooms?

• 11-10-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

KingOfSnake:

Isn't the external PS3 controlled by the PUC on the Beosystem 3 allowing control from link rooms?

Only if you get some kind of Bluetooth/infrared converter. There's no infrared on the PS3. I've got mine connected to the BV7-40, which is linked to the BV8-26 in the kitchen. The *only* thing I can't do is control or even view PS3-based movies through the BV8-26. You can't show the PS3 content via a link room connection,

Or at least that's what my dealer told me :)

• 11-11-2008 2:33 AM In reply to

I hope I'm wrong but don't think you can see anything connected via Hdmi to the video master on a link TV . As more equipment is connected with Hdmi the link facility may be come useless and B&o will lose one of it's main selling points unless it can be addressed .
    Richard
  • 11-11-2008 2:49 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

a2bur:
    I hope I'm wrong but don't think you can see anything connected via Hdmi to the video master on a link TV . As more equipment is connected with Hdmi the link facility may be come useless and B&o will lose one of it's main selling points unless it can be addressed .
    Richard

You can. I'm watching Sky HD via masterlink, when the Sky box is connected via HDMI. I must admit though, after watching HD, a link room picture is like a poor SD signal.

• 11-11-2008 3:13 AM In reply to

Perfectly true. The link room uses an RF signal so the picture will be SD - and probably not that great SD either. The new version of ML which has been promised for some time will address this. The problems with this lie with backwards compatibility. Up to now, it has been possible to use really quite old products in a modern system - I, for instance, use an LX6000 in our bedroom and can control the Sky+ in the main room on it. Unless we have some very clever converter boxes, this type of use will become a thing of the past.

I personally think that perhaps it is the time for B&O to grasp the bull by the horns and introduce  a properly up to date system that allows multiple sources to play and to allow the transfer of HD signals. If this means that they support two systems for a while, so be it. I am not sure a credit crunch will be the ideal time to introduce this though.

• 11-11-2008 3:40 AM In reply to

I have Sky connected this way so I do get it on the link but only because of the RF out on the Sky , can't get the Ps3 or Apple thru because you can only have one of the outputs active so can't bypass the master Tv to the link . Like Peter said B&o will have to find a way to distribute Hd or their video Link system will be a dead duck .
    Richard
  • 11-11-2008 5:20 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Christian:

True, but you don't need to up-scale Blu-ray DVDs, so playback via the Playstation 3 or other external device is fine. I might go for the internal Blu-ray player if it's £400 as people have stated though. Any more - ie. if we have to pay for engineering time etc - and I might as well just use the PS3.

I am a bit confused. Is Blu-Ray: HD or Full HD?

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 11-11-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

Christian:

That depends on the actual title, but it can definitely be Full HD. Most movies are full 1920x1080 @ 24p.

-mika

• 11-11-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

OK!

I thought they were only HD.

You learn every day... Smile

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 11-11-2008 6:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

Perfectly true. The link room uses an RF signal so the picture will be SD - and probably not that great SD either.

And I hope they can do something about reducing the size of the RF distribution box (or whatever it is called). It's huge and I'm only sending a signal less than 3 metres between two rooms!

Although I have a lot of B&O kit, I've never linked products until recently as I'm not able to hide the cabling as it's a rented apartment. However, linking was far more difficult, cumbersome and 'sightly' than I had anticipated. Maybe I'm a little niaive, but I really expected just to connect a ML cable straight in to the BV7-40 and then the other end in to the BV8-26. I thougth that the ML cable contained all the data required to push through the video, audo and controller commands! It seems to have enough pins on the socket.

I didn't expect that RF box, additional cables to/from the box etc etc.

I expected one cable to do everything. I expected the output to be digital. I didn't expect the BV7-40 to push HD signals back to the BV8-26, but did expect that it would be digital and Freeview quality.

My expectations exceeded the ML's capabilities :(

• 11-11-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

Christian:

That depends on the actual title, but it can definitely be Full HD. Most movies are full 1920x1080 @ 24p.

So far, I've not bought a Blu-ray that isn't 1080p (Full HD)?

• 11-11-2008 6:36 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BTW Peter, maybe B&O should do what Apple have done recently - move to yet another display connector. They've now changed something like 3 times in 10 years. I've got no motivation to look it up, but this new Mini Port or whatever it's called is now a new way of connecting Apple equipment to their latest screens.

Anyone who buys a Mac Pro right now can't connect to their new mini port-based LCD screen.

As I'm assuming that most modern B&O kit is designed around modules, it means that an end-user could update the ML in their BV7, BV8 etc? So, perhaps B&O should just take a risk and bring out an all-new digital ML that is supported in all new products but updatable in most of their recent products? I can't see any other way around it?

• 11-11-2008 6:38 AM In reply to

moxxey:

So far, I've not bought a Blu-ray that isn't 1080p (Full HD)?

Titles originally for TV, for example the "Planet Earth" I have, are often 1080i.

-mika

• 11-11-2008 7:53 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

BTW Peter, maybe B&O should do what Apple have done recently - move to yet another display connector. They've now changed something like 3 times in 10 years. I've got no motivation to look it up, but this new Mini Port or whatever it's called is now a new way of connecting Apple equipment to their latest screens.

Anyone who buys a Mac Pro right now can't connect to their new mini port-based LCD screen.

That's not entirely true. The Mac mini, and Mac Pro as well as the iMac have DVI or MiniDVI ports. only the macbook and macbook pro models have the "new" minidisplayport. I say "new" because it has been around for a while, and will be the standard for two way graphics communications in displays. Apple as well as others do offer a $20US adapter that converts from DVI or VGA to minidisplayport. I bought one and am using my Apple Cinema display with a new Macbook. You are right, though that in the last 10 years, Apple have changed the connector availabilities, but they haven't alienated any users of one connector over another as they have made available adapters for cross compatibility. My personal preference was the ADC proprietary connector, power and data in one simple plug. No mess. -Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 11-11-2008 8:04 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

Perfectly true. The link room uses an RF signal so the picture will be SD - and probably not that great SD either. The new version of ML which has been promised for some time will address this. The problems with this lie with backwards compatibility. Up to now, it has been possible to use really quite old products in a modern system - I, for instance, use an LX6000 in our bedroom and can control the Sky+ in the main room on it. Unless we have some very clever converter boxes, this type of use will become a thing of the past.

I personally think that perhaps it is the time for B&O to grasp the bull by the horns and introduce  a properly up to date system that allows multiple sources to play and to allow the transfer of HD signals. If this means that they support two systems for a while, so be it. I am not sure a credit crunch will be the ideal time to introduce this though.

But at the cost of price rises... hmmm i guess they need to balance it a bit better considering how quickly technology is starting to move.... They really do need to get up to speed.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-11-2008 9:51 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Sal:
    That's not entirely true..

You're being pedantic. I know you can buy converters, but I meant you can't connect 'out of the box'. However, my main point is that Apple dared to make the change and have made the change three times in the last 10 years.

Change sometimes needs to happen, unfortunately. There comes a time when B&O need to say that to move to the new generation of digital connection, they need to lose some of the support of their older products.

• 11-12-2008 2:21 AM In reply to

Titles originally for TV, for example the "Planet Earth" I have, are often 1080i.
    I thought Blu-ray was all the same and was the system that decided how to display it . I've looked on my Dvd boxes and can't see any reference to progressive or interlace . I have two titles that wont play on either my BV7-40 mk 3 or my separate Bs3  cinema , both have a Ps3 as a player . If I plug the Hdmi directly into the projector from the Ps3 they play .
    Richard
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >