in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-09-2008 8:24 AM by Jandyt. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-08-2008 9:44 AM

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

BeoVox 1 in sauna ?

Hi all,

As the days are getting shorter and colder, we are using the sauna more and more often. 

I would like to know how i can expand the Beolink to have music in the sauna / pool house,

but with the high humidity and temperature levels i don't know how to do this (regarding delicate electronics).

As B&O now offers the BeoVox 1, i was wondering if that speaker could be used.

Regarding the audio source; i do have another MCL2AV-unit with a white transceiver

which seems to be ideal for this extra Link-room. 

As BeoVox 1 is a passive speaker, i would need an amplifier, 

can i use one of my Beomasters (which currently i don't use, so each new application would be welcome)

or do i need an MCL2P to the MCL2AV ?

Regarding remote, i assume the Beolink 5000 is far too delicate for this hot and humid area, 

maybe a Beolink 1000 is tough enough for the job ? 

Does anyone have experience / tips ? 

Thanks ! 

• 11-08-2008 10:15 AM In reply to

Re: BeoVox 1 in sauna ?

The Beovox 1 is designed for bathrooms so it should cope as well as anything. On the remote front, why not use a Beolink 1000 but get it vacuum shrink wrapped so that there is an impermeable membrane? It will be transparent but should keep the moisture out. The batteries will last for years so you won't need to repeat the process very often.
  • 11-08-2008 10:48 AM In reply to

• beorebels
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • North of Germany
    • Posts 65
    • Founder

Hello Ignace,

maybe I can help a little bit with my experience:

I have the beovox 1 build in my sauna now for almost 1 year; it works perfect and the sound quality - it´s´like a dream.

The speakers are build in the wooden side-wall and backside the wall is open; so the speakers are "cooled" a little bit from the back.

Outside the sauna I have an older beomaster 3500 and an CD unit. I have not the possibillity of remote from inside the sauna but this feature I have not really missed in this year.

Before I decided to use the beovox I´ve searched in this forum and there I remember someone used his beolink 1000 from inside the sauna without any problems.

Best regards

beorebels

• 11-08-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Good idea to have the Beolink 1000 shrink wrapped.

Regarding the BeoVox 1; it is designed for humid environment, so moisture will not be the problem, 

but what about the high temperature ? 

• 11-08-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

beorebels:

Hello Ignace,

maybe I can help a little bit with my experience:

I have the beovox 1 build in my sauna now for almost 1 year; it works perfect and the sound quality - it´s´like a dream.

The speakers are build in the wooden side-wall and backside the wall is open; so the speakers are "cooled" a little bit from the back.

Outside the sauna I have an older beomaster 3500 and an CD unit. I have not the possibillity of remote from inside the sauna but this feature I have not really missed in this year.

Before I decided to use the beovox I´ve searched in this forum and there I remember someone used his beolink 1000 from inside the sauna without any problems.

Best regards

beorebels

Hi beorebels, 

Thanks for your advice. 

Good idea to use the cooling effect of the backside of the wall.

Regarding using a Beomaster + cd, that would make installation a lot easier, 

as i'm not really looking forward to run the MCL-cable from the main-system to the sauna. 

A Beomaster + an iPod-dock would be adequate.

Beolink 1000 seems to be ideal (if necessary),

and with Peter's idea about the shrink wrap it will be protected from those sweaty hands

Smile

• 11-08-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

• beorebels
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • North of Germany
    • Posts 65
    • Founder

Hi Ignace,

then I think, You could realise Your plan, having high quality music in the sauna.

I enjoy it several times a week and for me it was the best decission to go for the beovox. The sauna company first will sell there small outdoor speakers You couls also use on sailing boots; but these speakers sounds quite terrible.

Best regards

beorebels

• 11-08-2008 11:29 AM In reply to

The published B&O spec for the Beovox 1 says

Sealed for wet room use up to a maximum temp of 40°C with Humidity of  55% so I guess a Sauna should not be a problem.

Regards Keith....

• 11-08-2008 12:29 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

The published B&O spec for the Beovox 1 says

Sealed for wet room use up to a maximum temp of 40°C with Humidity of  55% so I guess a Sauna should not be a problem.

Quite often we have temperatures which are a lot higher than 40°C, 

almost twice as high as the BeoVox 1 specs show,

that's why i was reluctant, but member beorebels has been using the BeoVox 1 in his sauna for > 1 year,

so obviously, the BeoVox 1 is tough enough Smile

• 11-08-2008 12:31 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

beorebels:

Hi Ignace,

then I think, You could realise Your plan, having high quality music in the sauna.

I enjoy it several times a week and for me it was the best decission to go for the beovox. The sauna company first will sell there small outdoor speakers You couls also use on sailing boots; but these speakers sounds quite terrible.

Best regards

beorebels

Yes, the people from the company where i bought the sauna indeed 

were trying to sell "special speakers", but sound quality was very poor. 

Thanks again (all) for your advice, i'm looking forward to have high quality music in the sauna.

Smile 

• 11-08-2008 5:40 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Hallo Ignace;

TROPICAL BRASIL experience, or close to a Sauna  24 x 7.

Location: Fortaleza, Ceara, Brasil ( 1.5 degrees South of the Equator )

Temp: 25-32 C  -  Offshore breeze 15 K x 24 hrs.

Humidity: 50 % Day - 65 % Nights. ( The average that is when it's not raining off the South Atlantic ).

2 Beovox speakers were installed out on our terrace with our Beosystem, when the speakers first came out into the market a few years ago. They are affixed into solid concrete walls, with a little extra space behind each cored out for moisture-buildup.

Other than a little silicone around connectors, we have not had any problems. Annually we take the speakers out, wipe them, and put them back. No corrosion, which is a problem for other appliances ( Marezia)  and more importantly no diminished sound. The cables run through the wall inside silicone conduit.

So a few years sitting out on the Terrace, enjoying the ocean view, and a Caipirinha with freinds while surfing through N.MUSIC or N.RADIO selections using a Beo 4. ( Calypso FM is the local station on N.RADIO, under the Brasil genre ). No problems whatsoever, with a little breeze + airflow the only difference to sitting inside the Sauna. No Birch leaves here either.

Most remarkably, many here have, and enjoy the Sauna. Probably due to the Industrial number of Finns coming here on holiday during Winter, for a few decades.

• 11-08-2008 5:59 PM In reply to

Well, as long as we're talking about real saunas and not some Turkish steam rooms... Laughing

The actual climate would be more like 60-90 C and humidity the same, or more. Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen anyone install speakers inside the actual sauna. Maybe in the wash room...

On the left of this posting, you can see some B&O equipment taking care of the entertainment in a sauna cottage... Big Smile (on the dry side, mind you)

-mika

• 11-09-2008 3:06 AM In reply to

• beorebels
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • North of Germany
    • Posts 65
    • Founder

Hi Mika,

enclosed a picture You can see that the beovox 1 ars directly inside the sauna and not outside in the wash room.

The speakers are installed about 80 cm over the floor ground; there the temprature is not so high as in the upper areas. And this works perfectly.

Best regards

beorebels

• 11-09-2008 8:24 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Shrink-wrapping a Beolink 1000, on the surface seems to be a good idea. However, I would be a little bit concerned that the buttons recoil might be restricted. After all, the only springiness that rerturns the buttons to out, is by a little dome foil bubble.
    You may find that pressing 'RADIO' for example, that the radio button remains pressed. This would not flatten the battery as only one impulse would be sent, but whilst it stays depressed, none of the other buttons would work.
    In the torture chamber in Struer, Beolink 1000s have been coated with artificial sweat and baked in an oven without detriment.
    Might I suggest buying a cheap 1000, perhaps with faded buttons or worn paintwork from eBay for around £10 or £15 and trying it in the sauna.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)