in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-17-2007 9:48 AM by pedrompinto. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2007 3:55 PM

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Which is the best..........

of B&O's CD players, purely in terms of audio quality (forget the other features).

In recent times there has been talk of a high end source to match the abilities of the Lab5's but until it materialises (if ever), which has been the best to date?? (Comments from those who have heard models side by side would be most useful, quoting a model because its the one you have may not be quite as objective)Wink

I did think of a poll but I could bring myself to do it!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-16-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Which is the best..........

Beogram CD5500.

6500 and 7000 very similar but not as good a transport.

• 05-16-2007 5:50 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Peter:

Beogram CD5500.

6500 and 7000 very similar but not as good a transport.

Is there a reason why these are the best in your optinion, or is this just your taste?

What about the current range?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-16-2007 6:10 PM In reply to

Very expensive and well specified D/A converters and they have a digital output. The 5500 has a brushless motor which is very quiet and expensive! One could go all audiophile and say having their own power supply is an advantage as well!

Of the current range  - tricky! The BS9000 has a relatively unreliable CD unit which cannot be helped by the sudden accelerations but does have a digital out. The BC2 is a DVD player if that matters but does have a digital out. The BS4 and BS3200 don't have digital outs and are the lower end of the range.

• 05-16-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Peter:

...Of the current range  - tricky! The BS9000 has a relatively unreliable CD unit which cannot be helped by the sudden accelerations but does have a digital out. The BC2 is a DVD player if that matters but does have a digital out. The BS4 and BS3200 don't have digital outs and are the lower end of the range.

so I guess I am right when saying that B&O should think about a new high end music system. It's been a while since BS9000...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-16-2007 7:29 PM In reply to

I agree with Peter here. Have been looking for a "mint" Beogram CD 5500. I have a 6500 and a 7000, and am very happy with them, but would love to have a 5500 transport in excellent condition.

BS9000 is interesting because it makes it possible to listen to different performances of the same music. (The architect Liebeskind uses it in this manner - he's a Bach connoisseur, and listens to interpretations moving from CD to CD).

The newer players are less impressive. Important that a brand such as B&O tries to avoid cutting corners ...

• 05-16-2007 8:45 PM In reply to

Peter, have you heard them side by side?
    Rafa
  • 05-17-2007 1:57 AM In reply to

Have had at one time a CDX, CD4500, CD50, 9500 and a CD7000 in one room. I have a BC2 now. Have heard all the others at other times. I find it very difficult to differentiate them! I know this sounds ridiculous, but I like the sound of the CDX! Probably down to distortion! Wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the reason valve amplifiers sound attractive and related to different harmonic distortions! The CD7000 was my main player for many years. I am no longer the person to judge as my ears are deteriorating!
  • 05-17-2007 2:57 AM In reply to

Were there not rumors of an ultra high end Beosound 5 to go with the Lab 5s engineered with no compromises?

Nicholas
  • 05-17-2007 5:08 AM In reply to

Peter:
    Have had at one time a CDX, CD4500, CD50, 9500 and a CD7000 in one room. I have a BC2 now. Have heard all the others at other times. I find it very difficult to differentiate them! I know this sounds ridiculous, but I like the sound of the CDX! Probably down to distortion! Wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the reason valve amplifiers sound attractive and related to different harmonic distortions! The CD7000 was my main player for many years. I am no longer the person to judge as my ears are deteriorating!

I have a CDX and a CD50 and I have to say that I like the CDX as well. It doesn't sound particularly 'digital', if you know what I mean? There's a lot to be said for the CD50 too. Strange internal architecture but that too has a pleasantly 'warm' sound.

I think the resale values of both the CDX and CD50 speak for themselves, in particular the CDX. Lots of people seem to really want a rebadged 80s Phillips CD player, and it can't be just because it's got a B&O badge on it!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-17-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

This thread made me think... so... if i have a bs4 connected via ML to a BV7 the CD qualitty would be compared to have an Optical Out from the BS4 ?

The loudspeakers are connected to the tv of course.

TIA.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-17-2007 5:54 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I think the best players are made around 1990. I've got a bc9500 myself and the cd unit is much better then the units of today (exept bc2). I hope B&O will design a new high end cd player soon....

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-17-2007 8:59 AM In reply to

Beobird:
    I think the best players are made around 1990. I've got a bc9500 myself and the cd unit is much better then the units of today (exept bc2). I hope B&O will design a new high end cd player soon....

I see.

But tell me, do you find the unit more stable in what ground; in an audiophile way, in terms of contruction (i.e. mechanism), perhaps the "all package" itself ?

And another thing, nowadays, what would be the more suitable, speaking of quality of sound and the transport of it to the loudspeakers (of course), perhaps BS9000 or BC2 ? Based on what ? Can anyone give the reasons ?

TIA.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-17-2007 9:38 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

pedrompinto:

I see.

But tell me, do you find the unit more stable in what ground; in an audiophile way, in terms of contruction (i.e. mechanism), perhaps the "all package" itself ?

The totall construction of cd players was better around the 80/90's, because B&O was a becomming a bit audiophile at that time (for example the Penta's). Nowadays B&O cd/dvd players are in my opinion more design and less technical and that's because the units are becomming smaller and smaller (look at the built in dvd players in tv's). I think a good mechanism will need some room and it can't be fit in a tv. The new speakers are just the oposit of that, because the lab 5 and 9 are just some technical wonders Smile. That's why I hope B&O will offer some new more audiophile extern cd/dvd players soon.

Rogér

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-17-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

Beobird:
    pedrompinto:

I see.

The totall construction of cd players was better around the 80/90's, because B&O was a becomming a bit audiophile at that time (for example the Penta's). Nowadays B&O cd/dvd players are in my opinion more design and less technical and that's because the units are becomming smaller and smaller (look at the built in dvd players in tv's). I think a good mechanism will need some room and it can't be fit in a tv. The new speakers are just the oposit of that, because the lab 5 and 9 are just some technical wonders Smile. That's why I hope B&O will offer some new more audiophile extern cd/dvd players soon.

Rogér

Roger,

I'll pray to that. Long live asthetics + Good Contructrion Quallity + Superb Sound / Image 

Pedro "Less is more"

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)