in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-04-2008 3:11 AM by tournedos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-02-2008 1:51 PM

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Beomaster 6500 issues

Hello everyone,

Recently, my parents bought me a Beosystem 6500 for my college dorm room. I've noticed that the volume level is stronger out of the right channel than the left channel. Also, when I start to exceed a volume level of about 34, I begin to get distortion out of the left channel. Once the system has been playing at a louder level for about a minute, the distortion gradually goes away. However, the volume levels between the left and right channels still remain unbalanced. I switched speaker wires between speakers and the problem now shows up in the opposite speaker. I also checked the balance between channels and it is set at the neutral position. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

• 11-02-2008 2:06 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 6500 issues

Open the BM6500. On the left side is the preamp, on the right side the poweramp and the power supply.

Preamp and power amp are connected by a 3-pin wire, the connector is P4, the wire colours are green, black and yellow. Exchange green and yellow, it could work by mounting the plug 180 degrees... but dont break it.

If the defect continues and does not change the sides, then it's the power amp. If the defect changes to the other side, then it's the pre amp.

If it is the preamp, then probably some capacitors are gone. If you want an audiophil upgrade (... and repair...) , look for the workshop BM7000 on the workbench section.

If it is the amp... ok, that could be a defect power transistor, but this is much more difficult to find.

Martin 

• 11-03-2008 8:47 PM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your advice, Martin

Because I don't have experience in the way of technical repairs (and because I'm a busy college student), I don't really want to try and tear the unit apart. Since I know now that the problem must be in either the amp or the pre amp, I think my parents will take the Beomaster into the nearest B&O shop and we'll have them inspect and repair it properly.

Thanks again,

Aaron

• 11-04-2008 3:11 AM In reply to

Do a simple check first: move the speakers to the secondary connectors. If the sound is fine then, the problem is the muting relay. It's not very expensive to replace, but you could just as well leave it alone and use the no.2 speaker lines.

But if the same distortion is there also, then you really need to have some repairs done.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)