in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-20-2007 6:06 PM by 9 LEE. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2007 8:20 AM

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Idea [I] The Great FAQ challenge!!!!!

Ok this is sort of based on an idea Lee had and (I think Andy). Put your hand up if I nicked your ideaLaughing

Rather than us trawling through posts trying to get questions and answers into a sensible FAQ structure, let's create them ourselves from scratch.

This will allow us to stabilise and focus our collective knowledge  in a usable database which is much less likely to be lost.

So the challenge is in two parts:

Firstly - What do you want an FAQ on? Please post here and I will start a new  FAQ thread for that topic. I think it would be best if we work on only a couple of topics at a time or we'll end up with confusion and too many pinned topics.

Secondly - Getting the facts and figures on that FAQ thread. Not just a rehash of product information though. Unusual photos etc. might be useful too.

Once we have run out of steam on a topic then we'll take it, edit it and put it in the FAQ section on the main site.

As a final recap. What we are after are topic suggestions "I wish we had an FAQ on......" and of course the information which can be in the form of questions, answers and photos.

I'll start the ball rolling with the BEO4.

Right to workYes

Kevin

• 05-16-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

Re: The Great FAQ challenge!!!!!

Just a thought, and I realise I may well be wrong here, but part of the beauty of this site is its interation between members. Would the production of a large number of FAQs detract from this in some way? It's always nice to see personal replies and repsonses to queries from new members, in fact that's what impressed me about the site when I first used it.

One of the major ways in which this forum is different from a number of others I have used in the past is that when a new user asks a question which to other regular users is straightforward, they do not get accosted fro not having read a myriad of FAQs before posting.

I'm not suggesting that new members would recieve a less than warm welcome, but it might de-personalise the forum a bit, with questions just being referred to the relevant FAQ and that being the sum total of the interection.

Feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree!!!

Cool

Joachim
  • 05-16-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

A perfectly fair point. However I do not see that there will be any change in the ethos of the site. I for one will carry on answering any questions that are asked as will the other members I am sure. However a set of FAQs can be useful to refer to and my answer may well include a link to the FAQ. Some members however do not like posting so they could well find a bigger list of FAQs relevant.

Beoworld is about its members and I often find out a lot more about a problem and the owner through dialogue and can often encourage someone who knows more than me to help. I don't see this changing. 

• 05-16-2007 11:54 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

samueljoachim:

Just a thought, and I realise I may well be wrong here, but part of the beauty of this site is its interation between members. Would the production of a large number of FAQs detract from this in some way? It's always nice to see personal replies and repsonses to queries from new members, in fact that's what impressed me about the site when I first used it.

One of the major ways in which this forum is different from a number of others I have used in the past is that when a new user asks a question which to other regular users is straightforward, they do not get accosted fro not having read a myriad of FAQs before posting.

I'm not suggesting that new members would recieve a less than warm welcome, but it might de-personalise the forum a bit, with questions just being referred to the relevant FAQ and that being the sum total of the interection.

Feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree!!!

Cool

I actually think that you are on to something. On many other forums I've seen, people who asks questions just gets told to use the search function or google it, and I've never seen that here, which I love. I still think a FAQ is a fine idea though, as you can then look through it if you need an answer quick.

• 05-16-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:

A perfectly fair point. However I do not see that there will be any change in the ethos of the site. I for one will carry on answering any questions that are asked as will the other members I am sure. However a set of FAQs can be useful to refer to and my answer may well include a link to the FAQ. Some members however do not like posting so they could well find a bigger list of FAQs relevant.

Beoworld is about its members and I often find out a lot more about a problem and the owner through dialogue and can often encourage someone who knows more than me to help. I don't see this changing. 

Try and stop him posting!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-17-2007 5:50 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Couldn't agree more. In fact anyone who posts a straight " go look at the FAQ" answer deserves to have the post deleted. We've never been that kind of site and Peter's almost instant responses give it that friendly atmosphere.

The FAQ are there for further reading but mainly to document more coherently the information on the forum.

So any suggestions for the next FAQ to create? 

• 05-17-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

Kevin:

Couldn't agree more. In fact anyone who posts a straight " go look at the FAQ" answer deserves to have the post deleted. We've never been that kind of site and Peter's almost instant responses give it that friendly atmosphere.

And yours and Chris' and all the other fantastic members on the site. Even Lee seems to be recognising the odd bit of B&O now! Laughing

• 05-19-2007 10:29 AM In reply to

• Tux
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Lyon, France
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Kevin:

Hi,

Make a version of the FAQ in a PDF or/and text file to be downloaded and read offline...

Thanks.

Tux

• 05-19-2007 10:58 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Kevin:

Although it is not of interest to me (so far), I'm sure a FAQ about Beolink products would be a good thing.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-20-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

I found it very useful to learn how to access service menu of Beovisions. A FAQ on that would probably be helpful.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 05-20-2007 6:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Please also remember that a relevant thread can be added to the FAQ itself.

So, we can have a summary, and also a click to the thread for a more detailed reply...

There are always the old "BL3 vs BL8000" questions we can refer people to on an FAQ, and after they have read several threads they may indeed have some more searching questions.

Also remember that a huge FAQ database will propel us up the rankings, which then equates to people finding us more easily!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)